Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
If you are reading this, chances are you know her .... most of those that have met her called her "Mom".

I've been absent for a couple weeks, think it's time to explain what's been going on.

Monday morning (10th) got a call from my sister (Crispy) that mom had been put in the hospital and was in ICU with respiratory failure, possible congestive heart failure and it looked bad. She'd been short of breath, but suffered from bronchial stuff pretty much every winter... so everyone thought it was the same deal. Not so.

I'll try to keep it short. Chris and my daughter flew up to Illinois to be with her, I was to go the following week. By Tuesday (8 days later) she was doing well and moved from ICU to a normal room for rehab. I got there that afternoon (the trip there a story in itself), just in time for her Trachea to FRICKIN FALL OUT...

They sent us off to a waiting area; just as we got there, over the PA, "Code Blue Room 457". Docs and nurses running down the halls, a obviously freaked-out nurse giving us updates... the damned announcement repeating at least 20 times. We just looked at each other like "no way is this happening". It was surreal.

They couldn't seem to get the trachea put back in right and infact the ventilator blew a ton of air, under her skin, blowing her face up like a overfilled balloon ready to pop and then collapsing her lungs, by blowing air in around the outside of them.

Eventually, the docs got it in place and kept her going. The following 2 days were bad... really bad, I found it hard to believe she would recover. They botched IV's, bruised her everywhere... it was bad. The "air" under her skin had finally gone away by this last Monday.

Fast forward to Sunday Night/Monday morning (24th). She made progress every day. The ventilator was shut off and she did it on her own. The chest tubes that inflated her lungs were removed, and continued to function . I had to fly out Monday afternoon, with her still in ICU... that was ONE TOUGH "goodbye". Chris and Kristen had to fly out the morning after the trachea disaster ... crazy bad.

Tonight, I get a call, ID says "Mom". They've cap'd off the trache with a valve that allows speech ... I hear her voice for the first time in 16 days. After being there for 8+ hours a day for a week, her having to "sign", write on a dry erase board and us having to read lips, I can't tell you what that felt like.

It's looking really good for recovery. I can't believe we're able to write that after what she's been thru over the last two weeks and can say my family feels extremely lucky to use those words.

Any positive thoughts or prayers you may have to devote are appreciated. To top it all off, she's got a clot in her left lung that is obviously a concern but being treated. She's not out of the woods yet, but is close.

"Dirtweek Mom" is kicking ass, but could use some of that DRN/Dirtweek Love.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Bob,
Dam I am so happy to hear this. I have been thinking about her constantly the last 4 days wondering but not wanting to impose.
Trudy was so sad when I told her and the first thing she said was "we never made it out to dinner with her and Pokie since they moved"
Makes you realize how precious every moment of every day is to all of us and we are so stupid we let it slip away

Thank you for the great news :nod: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Man, that is some ride you all have been on for the past few weeks. Glad to hear Mom is doing better. Let her know that she is in our thoughts and prayers.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It's great to hear she is getting better. Knowing your mom, it's not surprising she toughed out the rough moments. I'd expect nothing less from her. :cool:

I'll keep a good thought for her.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Wow.. That's awful! I'm also glad to hear shes doing better.

I will certainly keep her in my thoughts, even though we've not met... ;)

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Wow, our best wishes for a great lady, still remember well sitting around chatting with her and pokie at DW 04. If she's talking it won't be long before the trach gets swapped for the next smaller size and then out completely, keep fighting Mom!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Shiftless, Pokie, Okie, & Chrispy:

My prayers and best wished fly on the wings of angels.

Love,
Tony

B

biglou

Give Mom a big hug from Lou and tell her we are all thinking about her. Pokie too, and Okie, Scooter and the whole family.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My thoughts and prayers go out to Mom for a full and speedy recovery.
Bob, I am also sending my prayers to you and the rest of the family.
There are no finer folks than Shiftless and Pokie. Let Marcel know that the prayers will not stop until Mom is fully recovered, and the love will never ever stop.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Man when I read the topic a chill went down my back! I'm really glad everything is turning for the better and Mom & Pokie will be in my thoughts. Keep us updated!!!

BTW I know I'm Mom's favorite because she gave me that special hug in Casey ;)

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okie, this brought tears to my eyes. Your mom is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. Mom and the rest of the Okie clan will be in my thoughts. Best wishes for a speedy, full recovery.

Keep us posted as to how mom is doing!

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Patman said:
*I'm* Mom's favorite!! She only hugged you because you look like me.

Mom...hurry up and get better. I just checked and I'm overdue for a hug or twenty!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Sorry to hear about the news Okie, but glad she is doing better. I always enjoyed my time with Pokie and Shiftless. I can remember her big smile riding the quad around.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Yeah, things falling out of your body is not a good thing. I learned that somewhere.

Hang in there bop-bop, take a couple deep breaths, good to hear she's on the upswing. I hope Pokie is as well, as it had to be hell for him.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Bob- Sorry to hear about the troubles, but glad the prognosis is good. I hope she gets away from the doctors as soon as possible.

Praying for all of you.

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
Damn Bob. I hate to hear news like this but I'm glad to hear things are turning around. Your mom is one of a kind.... and she likes to do sticker hits! :laugh: I've got you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Bob and Pokie.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your whole family.

Never had the opportunity to meet your family but I feel I know them like family through DRN.

Hang in there Mom.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
OMG! Prayers and well wishes!

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Very happy thoughts, well wishes, and prayers.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thoughts and prayers for a quick recovery!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wow, tough couple of weeks! I can't even imagine.... glad to hear Joy is pulling through and able to talk to her loved ones again. Wishing her a speedy recovery and hope she's home soon. Hope Pokie is hanging in there too!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Patman said:
No you or Gomer are not!!! :yell: I know I am :nod: because she hauled me off the track at Cooperland when I blew out my knee and never even scolded me for being so stupid (Wish my wife was that understanding when I got home).
Oh and she also told Trudy and I that great story about Okies gardening skills :yikes:

Hope today went even better then the past few for you Mom :nod:

Top Bottom