jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
I now have TWO KDX's in my garage. One of them is an 87 200, that i've been rebuilding (picked it up for a song). Now, it's time to overhaul the shock, and I'm looking for pointers. for a 200 lb novice rider (fully clothed); what weight of oil to use? should i replace the rubber bumper with something heavier? should i obtain a heavier spring? how much pressure in the bladder? anything else?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Anything else? well pointing out the obvious but it worthy of a mention, you do realise that it is nitrogen, not air in there? Thought you did, just checking.

They do jam a fair old bit of pressure in there so be careful. Whoever is doing the refilling should have a good idea of a baseline but ~160psi rings a bell, but don’t trust my memory.

Typically 5w is a good starting point for most shocks then adjust the valving/shims. Anything too thick will go off but 2.5 tends to be a bit on the thin side for decent lubrication.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
Got It!

Thanks for the hit. As it turns out..., I went a head and did the deed according to stock spec's, e.g.; 5 wt fork oil, 143lb nitrogen. stayed with the stock spring. we'll see how the new owner does with it.

stayed with the stock bumper. couldn't get the shock apart without tearing up the cap; so cleaned up the innards the best i could with kerosine, cleaned up the bladder & cartridge innards, and finished it up. couldn't believe the thin black runny spooge that seaped out of the thing. ugly!

no doubt it's a bunch better than pre-serviced!

now i should probably do my bike, too.

Top Bottom