short guy bike modification question

mule

Nov 7, 2001
I really need some advice. I am novice woods rider on KDX220R. I am 5'6" tall with 28 inch inseam. Need help with decision to lower bike with cutting of forks and shock internals vs. use a longer dogbone like kouba link or devol racing. I will be able to lower bike about 1.5 with the suspension mod, (2.0 inches if I shave seat also). I have concerns whether this will adversely affect my woods riding in another way. If I go with dogbone change only I will only get about 0.65 inch lower,(without seat shave). I would really like to get the 1.5 to 2.0 inch lowering but hesitate if it is going to mess up the bike.

Need opinions.

PS- I ride only woods. No MX. Minimal jumps. Just Oregon mud, rocks, trails and logging roads.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Shaving the seat would be the best bet. You could also try softening the rear suspention and raising the forks a bit before you get into buying expensive mods to lower it.

bnr

Feb 27, 2002
I have a 01 yz250. I cut 3/4 in out of the subframe and rewelded it and cut 3/4 in from the seat foam. I put a 1/4in thick spacer made from pvc pipe on the shock shaft to prevent the tire from totaly slamming into the rear fender. This method does not change the geometry of the suspension. The mod was on thumper talk in the yamaha section. I think it works great but I lost about 1in of rear travel.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I bet the bike will handle MUCH better. The only drawback being log crossings. I'd do it.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I really have no use for 12 inches of SX derived suspension on my bikes so I always have them lowered and revalved (to compensate for the stroke changes) by Jeremy Wilkey (MX Tech) . Here's a couple of old threads that go into some of the specifics.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=5283&referrerid=16241

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=5236&referrerid=16241

You haven't lived to you've ridden a properly lowered and revalved race bike. Cornering like you wouldn't believe. :thumb: I honestly don't ever think I'll ride a bike any other way.

mule

Nov 7, 2001
Rick, did you end up keeping your original parts in case you were to sell the bike? Do you think that issue is important?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I cut my seat down. Makes mucho difference in the way it feels and handles.

slojo

Jan 15, 2002
I've also cut the subframes on both an 02 CR125 & a 02 YZ250, and it does help to lower the seat height a little. Do KDX's have removable subframes like all the MX bikes do? I would think if you had the suspension lowered and the seat cut you should be fine. Then when it's time to sell just put a new seat foam in and keep your mouth shut about the bongers.

thumper144

Nov 6, 2002
Short Guy'
Went to a motocross event several years ago at highpoint raceway in mt.morris pa.. Saw Jeremy McGrath on his YZ 250...he was sitting right across from me on his bike with both feet flat on the ground. What is he 5'8" or so? I am 6'1" and have trouble touching on some bikes. So I did some research and ended up having factory connection revalve for me. In addition I used a devol link on the rear and played with the front forks on the triple clamp. I lost a bit of travel, but the advantages of having a lower bike far outweigh the disadvantages. You are more confident everywhere, especially at high speeds. Turning is easier, just about everything is better in my opinion. I went from riding in the middle of the pack to hanging with the front riders. I guess what I'm trying to say is do everything you can to lower your bike...I loved it. Ron

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
You could also try softening the rear suspention and raising the forks a bit before you get into buying expensive mods to lower it

You will definatly change the suspension geometry that way and it will effect handling. I would go the revalve and lower way. It might be more costly, but I sure it will make for a much sweeter bike.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
im in the same boat. im 5'7" and didnt really realize how short my inseam was until the other day. i was shopping for a mountain bike and the sales guy measured me and said that he would recommend a small frame which he said is unusual. they didnt have anything in stock. i hate trail riding because if i stop in the wrong place, im in trouble. i have put off reducing travel because i mx, but after reading this thread, i could probably make up more time on the track on the ground ie corners, than in the air.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I hate to see folks raise their forks in the clamps to get the bike down. Big mistake IMO. It can lead to serious headshake.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
This topic has been covered a billion times in the KDX forum. The option many don’t think about is to get taller. (What was that movie in the future where the guy buys a genetically superior guys identity so he can get into a space program & he gets dodgy surgery strapped to a lounge room floor?)

No really, take your boots to a competent cobbler who knows boots & get him put a packer in or a sole on top of the original. This will easily give you ¾ of an inch & is a good step in the right direction excuse the pun.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Spoken like a guy who has never had to ride with a 28 inch inseam David :) Big shoes ain't gonna cut it.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I hate to see folks raise their forks in the clamps to get the bike down. Big mistake IMO. It can lead to serious headshake.

Yes it sure can. But if you lower the rear a similar amount it shouldn't cause any problems.

Last night I lowered the front end on my KX almost an inch but then I lowered the rear approximately the same amount, to maximum recommended sag.

Now as soon as I can find my friggin' staple gun, I'm gonna take an inch or so off that ROCK they call a seat.

All this is gonna cost me is $0. I'll try it for a while and then if I don't like the results, I'll take another approach. Keep in mind, I'm riding slow trails w/my 6 yr old son and climbing hills. No racin' here. Yet. ;)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Spoken like a guy who has never had to ride with a 28 inch inseam David

Well I try to keep a tape measure away from that area of my body ;) but it’s certainly a step in the right direction & along with a cut down seat makes my KDX well bearable, taking into account my inconsiderable riding skills. Strangely I know at least one guy shorter than me seemingly have no problems on full height YZ250 etc.

Makes me sick.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
gwcrim,
I highly suggest you not race that bike untill you reverse the damage you have done. "Shouldn't cause any problems" may be a logical thought, but completely false.
If you are just puttin' around it shouldn't be a problem though.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Jay,

Notice the Post Script from Mules original message:

I ride only woods. No MX. Minimal jumps. Just Oregon mud, rocks, trails and logging roads.

Here's what I did: The rear sag was actually too high at 3 1/4", I lowered it to 4", which is the max recommeded. I also lowered the front maybe 7/8". Hard to think of that as "damage." I've tinkered with lowering streetbikes, and have had no problems at all, even at triple digit speeds. If the bike feels unstable, all I have to do is raise the front end.

But thanks for your concern! :thumb:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If I raised my forks 7/8" it would shake like a dog tryin to pass a peach seed. Lots of times this shake won't occur until you are in 5th pinned...not a good time to figure this out.
I hope your triple digit roadbike speeds are on the track, if not...then it's all becoming very clear.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I got to spend a little time on the bike last night. Up to 1/2-3/4 throttle in 5th gear and no problems at all. It was getting dark so I wasn't able to spend more time feeling it out. I suspect for my style of riding, my free modifications will be just fine.

I located my staple gun so the seat goes under the knife this weekend.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Well the deed is done. I cut 1 to 1-1/2" off the seat. I started cutting with a long, sharp bread knife about 3" in from the back and gradually worked forward and down, finally tapering up toward the front. It looks fine but I think I should have rounded the corners a bit more. Lemme tell you that it's not as easy as it first sounded. Smoothing it all up was tedious. I tried the cheese grater but it didn't work real well. So I ended up using #80 sandpaper and lots of elbow grease.

End result of all my tinkering: I can easily get the balls of my feet on the ground now. I'm gonna figure I got the bike about 2" lower at the lowest point of the saddle. FOR FREE! :)

MikeeeP

Dec 7, 1999
GWCrim --- here is a cool trick for making seat foam softer. Take a hacksaw and starting just about 1/2 way up the tongue, start making 1/8" - 1/4" deep grooves across the foam only about 1/4" apart all the way to the back of the seat. This allows the top foam to compress down into the new recess' much-much softer feeling and easier to stay in the saddle on those long rides.

MP

Fark

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
Originally posted by gwcrim

Only sanctioned speed trials. SCTA, USFRA, ECTA..... check out Landracing.com and even this .

HAHAHAHHA LOL

Not to play devils advocate, but being a sportbike rider I know that 90% are total squids ( me at times as well! ) so it would be easy to stereotype you from your statement above. Then he pulls that out. LOL too much.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom