Shoulder injuries - need info, have questions (popping? strength?)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
A little background:

I wadded in March and landed on my arm/shoulder. Went to therapy and the ortho for 3 months, had tons of x-rays and 2 MRIs, and was diagnosed some rotator cuff damage: a couple partial tears in the supraspinatous tendon and a partial tear in the subscapularous tendon. After 3 months I was feeling pretty good except my strength was about 30-40% what it should be in certain motions (like pulling down from above my head). It took about 2 months just to get back a halfway decent range of motion. I never had any popping in my shoulder during these three months.

The "new" injury:

Then, 6 weeks ago, I crashed on my shoulder again (yeah, you'd think I would stop). This time it was different, took about 2-3 weeks to get back almost full motion but there is no strength again in certain movements. Like I can lift a pencil up from my side or out in front of me and above my head, but give me a 32oz glass of pop and forget it. I can't lift it up past a little lower than shoulder height (to my side or in front of me).

Popping and snapping:

And another thing is my shoulder has been popping and snapping like crazy! Like if I reach out or down for something - I'll get a loud pop. Sometimes I barely move and it does it. Usually there is built up pressure then a pop, sometimes not. And I can hold my elbow out to my side and move my arm like 2-3 inches back and forth and get a pop on each movement both ways. Usually there is no pain involved, but sometimes there is.

Any ideas:

Has anyone had an injury that has a lot of popping and snapping? What are the normal symptoms of a dislocated shoulder? If it's still jacked up after DW (which will be 3 months after crash #2) then I will definately go back to the doctor but for now I'm trying to suck it up and hope it gets back to normal. Does the insane lack of strength sound alarming (it's only in a few certain movements)? I really haven't used my arm much since March other than 2-3 weeks in June so maybe it's just been a long time? I did do some strength exercises in May-June but haven't done much since crash #2.

What a wasted year :|

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The broken shoulder (fractured upper humerous) from November (left side) had all the symptoms of rotator cuff but luckily, not tears. It pops and cracks a lot and catches in one spot, but I have most of my strength and 100% ROM. We think the pops and cracks might be some arthritis or some separation/impingement not previously diagnosed. Not wasting the time/money on this one for the minor discomfort right now.

My separated shoulder (right side) pops and snaps a lot but I have most of my strength and 100% ROM so long as I can tolerate my bones moving all around. Going back on the 25th for this one.

I agree with Bill, especially considering your previous rotator cuff injuries, that it could be dislocated, but you could also have impingement or have increased the injury to the rotator cuff.

If I understand correctly, you haven't been to the doctor for injury #2? Don't want to come across as lecturing or anything but I'll just pass along some "advice" a doctor gave me...."Anytime you can't move something for more than a day, there is a serious problem and you should get it checked." He went on to talk about nerve damage, dying bones, and I think I heard "stupid" a time or two.

http://my.webmd.com/content/healthwise/1/209

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Nik-dog - you're description of woe when dealing with a 32 ounce soda pop was cracking me up! I had a similar issue during my healing up back at Easter. I think I was at week 4 or 5 and had carried a platter of ham to the table, holding the plate close in with elbow close to my side. My other (good) hand was supporting something else like dinner rolls or something. I went to put the platter of ham in the middle of the table and flat out dropped it to the table when I attempted to extend my arm out to perform the task. I attempted to at least hang onto the platter as it was going down because I didn't want to mess up the table but it was apparent to me that I had some more healing to do.

I had the cracking and still get it occassionally, even though its been 5 months. My doc said it was "bursa" growth from inactivity of the rotator area. I was envisioning a crusty barnacle for a rotator cuff so I keep up my PT exercises even to this day. I still dont have the full strenth I used to but its much better. I notice I use my other arm more to pick up my bike when I need to, but I can hang on to the bars just fine going through rough stuff.

Your case might not be simple bursa so I think you should see the doc and make sure! Hope you're feeling better.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
good god im about to jinx myself.

i suffered some football injuries to the shoulder joint. dislocated lets say more than once. you know when the ball of the joint ends up behind the scapula. same as yall. no stregnth and very weak. should of had both sides operated on but scared of knives. had problems with them off and on for the next couple of years. this may sound strange but this is what helped me in the end. i inadverdantly took up archery. one of the side benefits was some pretty specific muscle development in both shoulders. on the draw, i had to contract muscles to keep my left shoulder joint stable. the draw itself strengthend my right shoulder. pulling a bow is about form. it is also a controlled movement that could be considered isometric. with a compound bow, effort reguired is adjustable. you also have to hold the pull long enough to aim. i did all of this before getting on an mx bike. i never thought the shoulders would take it but they have. as long as i take any hits riding with my hands on the bars ill be ok since the range of motion is limited. i fear the day that i crash with my hands out in front of me or on a shoulder ill be seeing the ortho for surgery. my mantra is as follows " whatever you have to do........dont go over the bars".

see your sports ortho and if no surgery REHAB that sucker.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I once had a doc tell me that the popping was possibly a tendon sliding over the bone - sort of catching and then releasing. Only bothers me when it catches and doesn't quite want to release like it should....or if I sleep on it....or, well, you get the point. Go get it checked out - maybe by another doc.

tristan18au

Jun 3, 2001
i have just had a reconstruction from the same problems that you were suffering from nikki. My recovery is going extremley well and it should be about 7 weeks before i can start ridding again. I tore part of the rotor cuff (lower) off and put a v shaped creese on top of the humerous, the surgeon had had to do a bone graft and sew the rotor cuff back in place as well a shortening all the ligaments. Thats wat you get for dislocating 6 times in 8 months.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Just a quick shoulder update - it's been 2 months now since crash #2. And nope, I haven't went to the doc. I'm still being stubborn and waiting until after DW (if it's still needed at that point).

The popping and cracking isn't near as bad as it was a few weeks ago and there is very little pain. Really at this point it is more an issue of no strength in very specific movements and a slight decrease in range of motion. While at Wal-Mart the other night I learned that I can lift a 1 lb. dumb bell from my chin to over my head but I could NOT lift the 2 lb. one!! What a pitiful feeling!! So I've been trying to do some light exercises to get some strength back. My guess is since I haven't lifted anything since Feb., the muscle has just went away?

I have been riding for a few weeks and it's going okay (no crashes thank God!) so I plan to make it through DW then decide my next steps from there.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and the advice. Hope to see ya at DW!

Top Bottom