nifty450

Nov 12, 2001
I have a crf450 and a yz426f and am looking for a sprocket chain set that will last more than a month. I currently am using a renthal aluminum set and I go through them too quickly. I am thinking about getting a set of timoly sprockets from sidewinder, and was wondering if anyone has any info on the wear/durability issue. It's quite a chunk of change at $270, Is it worth it?
thanks

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I like the Sidewinder stainless chain very much. It is one of the best chains I've ever used. Can't say anything about thier ti-moly sprockets. I do think they are a bit pricey.

Don't go cheap on your chain, as the wear on your sprockets is directly related to the integity of your chain. I don't care what anyone says, if you put a junk chain on a good sprocket it will eat the sprocket up.
RK has a new chain out and it may be worth looking into...GB520MXZ ($80)

IMHO one can get by with a aluminum sprocket IF they have a chain with exacting tolerances and machined from high quality materials. A good chain will have solid bushings and rollers, chrome-moly pins, and high tensile strength plates.

soreRider

Jul 5, 2006
I've always heard good things about Sidewinder.
I myself am going with them within the next month or so.
I don't think I'm going with the trimoly though I will be getting the tool steel sprockets and the best chain they have.
Bulletproof.

Shawn007

Oct 22, 2005
I have heard the same as the other 2 dudes. Buy a great chain and straight steel sprockets or maybe the tri-moly would be even better. Years ago I bought a complete sidewinder set. After 2 seasons it showed no wear. MXA has given them extremely high ratings. I don't know where you ride or how many hours, but come on,
only a month. Even cheap stuff lasts 10 weeks.

Top Bottom