dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
and how? I have a '99 kdx200 and have an fmf torque pipe with a power core II silencer on it. Since it is new, most people wouldn't see the need to re-pack it yet, but the lack of a performance sound drives me to ask if pulling out some of the packing will alter the bikes power curve in any way so it is a little louder. I know this sounds stupid, but I really miss that sweet sound of raw muscle from my '73 duster due to winter storage. I need something to fulfill that sensation!!

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Removing any packing will reduce performance. And you really need to ride responsibly, loud dirt bikes are a nuisance and will hurt the sport. Think man! Use your head.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I agree with Fred.
The Silent Sport packing lasts the longest for me (not as affected by oil IMO).
Now, if I could only figure out where they but it as the re-packaged price is just stupid expensive.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Did someone say '73 duster?

Hey! I gots one'a those! Still a small block (although a '69 small block).

Removing the packing will affect performance. Your bottom end will go to ....well, it'll suffer.

Think of it as an RB duster that all of a sudden has an LA engine in it! ;)

Actually, one of the common errors in REpacking an S/A is to not pack it tight ENOUGH! ....and bottom end suffers.

So...if you don't want bottom end to suffer...don't mess with it.

There! That should be clear enuf, 'eh fred? :)

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks guys - sorry for the dumb post. I guess I don't like pissing people off so keeping it quiet will keep everyone else happy. C.C. - It has a '71 340 outta my dad's old demon, high stall 'verter,shift kit, 4.30 gears, all that stuff the law thrives on LOL.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Why would removing the packing reduce bottom end? I know when I read somewhere about expansion chambers it said that increasing the diameter of the exit pipe of the expansion chamber increases low end, while decreasing it increases top end. Wouldn't removing the packing in the silencer have the same effect as increasing the pipe diameter? Or, would it increase turbulence and. therefore, increase backpressure?

Top Bottom