Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Is there any? and how much?

I'm looking at trying my first studded tire snow ride this weekend :coocoo: . Wanted to know if anyone has a snow report?

Another question. How much snow is too much before you just end up going 2mph for the whole day? I'm using Kold Kutters if that helps any. I don't want to have to make the drive if I'm going to ride in too much snow - But I don't have a clue as to how much that is.

Any ideas?

-Kurt

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Kurt - others will chime in - but not enough snow will kill the screws FAST!

I am not home now, but according to Sheila, about 70% of the ground has about 1" of snow on it - bare spots between the snow.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Kurt - Check back to my ride report on the Missauke Jct. ride on 12/9.

Young Ted

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Kurt

IMHO 2"-8" of snow remains lots of fun to ride in as it gets deeper than that it gets to be more of a struggle to keep moving with in control. If you get on a trail that a snowmobile went on then it gets even worse as the front end skates all over the place and steering gets hariy. At least this is my experience. Doe some reason it seems the thumpers with more weight on the front tire do not have as much trouble with this stuff as I do on the 2T. Heavier bikes tend to do better in the deeper snow. Just MHO

ride2live

Oct 26, 2005
4 -10" of fresh, untracked and unpacked, snow is optimum. Deeper or wind-blown snow is tougher to get through. Snowmbile packed snow is surprisingly difficult!

An advantage of kold cutters over studded tires is they work better on frozen snow and solid ice. A disadvantage is that they loose their sharp edge on dirt

The conditions INCA referred to and photographed on 12/9/06 were excellent! as the ground was not even fully frozen.

Hoping for more accumulation for next weekend, as I'd like to go again - it's good clean fun! YEEHAA!

Bill

Creeper9

~SPONSOR~
Oct 28, 1999
Hey, thanks guys. I know I'm a little late but my pc wasn't letting me know anyone replied to the post. :bang:

We didn't end up going this weekend, but I will definitely keep in mind what you guys said about the snow depths.

Thanks
-Kurt

Top Bottom