David Bird

Jun 28, 2003
Yup!

Dudes, you have an even that's even close to my house & I'm there! I don't have kids yet (still practicing) so I'm not affected by the school schedule. The sooner I know about it the sooner I can put in for vacation time. :cool:

BUK0138

Sponsoring Member
Mar 29, 2001
Cooperland was our second dirt week ... we attended Casey in 01 we had a great time at both. Our reasons for missing past dirt weeks in Cooperland:

1:no trailer (tent camping for a week and ridding bikes would suck) call me a whimp!
this year we purchased a new toy hauler that made camping for a week and riding more fun.
2:cost of fuel,travel, and dirt week (this year we teamed up with Nikki & Red to cut cost) Don't get me wrong it was well worth it ... but these are things that we had to consider.
3:travel time, time off work

When its all said and done where ever dirt week is held .. its like the credit card commercial....
200 dollars for dirt week fees
700 dollars in fuel
18,000 dollars for toy hauler
Seeing Donny go swimming with his 450 in a pond at Cooperland
PRICELESS

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
mx547 said:
i was only there on saturday. other than the track being overwatered, what was the problem with track conditions? was something wrong with it during the week?

It was prepped decently for Saturday's races, although many folks were all motoed out by then. Earlier in the week, it wasn't "terrible", but depending on the day and the jump you were trying to do, it got pretty grooved up and rough. The big step-up was perfect right after it was fixed, but the approach got rough quick, probably because previous ruts and holes were coming back through. Was still do-able on Saturday though.

There are some interesting differences in the dirt from one side of the track to the other. Notice how the back section of jumps is harder packed, and is very durable even though most people are using just one narrow line. Conversely, the tabletops after the start are like sandy powder, and erode into grooves quickly (potentially throwing you sideways).

Even though there are a few small rocks mixed in here and there, the Cooperland track is very friendly on tires! I put less wear in a week on my rear tire, than I would put on it with one solid day of riding at our local area! If you start with a new tire, it will be barely rounded off when you go home.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I guess "to each their own" on the tent camping, I look forward to it although I will admit that a real bed feels good when I get home. The perfect combo of good riding and a few beers around the fire makes for a sound night of sleep, that is unless there's a V-Twin powered generator with Hooker Headers and glass packs throbbing away all night long :)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
motometal said:
a V-Twin powered generator with Hooker Headers and glass packs throbbing away all night long :)

:rotfl:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I found that tequila made an excellent sleep aid!!!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I don't care what happens, I will NOT miss Dirtweek 2006. I was so sad reading everyone's posts about how much fun they had, reading abut the food, the people, the riding, the weather, blah blah blah...I had to stop reading, I couldn't take it anymore.

That being said...

Dirtweek in late May/Early June...that'd be fantastic! I know I've got a much better chance of being there, as does PK, since the farm is not running that time of year. Rooster and I even figured that if you move it further north, as I've seen some ideas thrown around, we'd probably drive. If it's still at Cooperland, we'll come bikeless...but like that matters! I just want to see/hang out/eat with everyone again!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If it's still at Cooperland, we'll come bikeless...but like that matters! I just want to see/hang out/eat with everyone again!!!
:cool:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A "Spring" DW would be great, I have been looking at options to come down on Spring Break this year to get Troy back on the bike before race season up here. A Summer (Start of may and on) would not work for us for many reasons a few of which are:

• Getting vacation time in the summer is much tougher.
  • We have a short race season as it is and this would conflict with race dates for Troy's racing and my photography business.

The dates this year were perfect for us as it was after our race season, yes I know we didn't make it but sometimes life conspires that way. The location is pretty much inconsequential to me, If we can make the trip we will be there regardless of location.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
High Lord Gomer said:
Walt, you didn't read the 3rd post in this thread! :p
Gimme a break (pun intended) Gomer, that was 81 posts ago. Kinda like last year. Hey, will you be healed up by then? :ahhh:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
okie,

at dirtweek i was just thinking about the FEE situation and the money required to run an event such as dirtweek. there is an 1800 acre park that is open to the public every weekend and by apointment during the week. think the 500 times 3. cost is 8bucks per day per person and you dont need insurance. granted, there are no hookups nor bike washing stations, but there is lots of room to ride and camp. the best part is that nocona mx is a measley 6 miles of dirt roads away. im sure nocona could be rented fairly cheap during the week and we could run the mx races on friday instead of saturday. in cooperlands past, the woods guys had to trailer to get to the serious trails and im sure within a lap or two the mx guys will think the drive is worth it. from stillwater, i would guess it is another 2:45 south.

pros

muenster is big enough to hold as many as we could possibly dream.
would not require facility rental. although during the week there is a possibility that others will be on the property. during the week, there is rarely anybody there.
fees would be paid directly to the property on a daily basis and drn would not have to front the money nor insure the event.

nocona has dirt that has to be ridden to believe.

cons

it is further south than cooperland for those coming from the north
we might not have "exclusive" use of the property at muenster
track is not same place as trails/camping
no night riding at muenster

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
nikki said:
We've made the 1700 mile trip to CL for four years in a row. I would just like a change of scenery if anything. Plus with the low turnout at DW05 (which was mostly attended by TX/OK residents), it seems that maybe a "new" group can be pulled in by trying a different location.

Plus if DW is in June after school is out.... might be a little warm at CL?

I'm with Nik, some new scenery would be great and I would think would also pull in different people

I am interested in hearing the reasoning behind why people that will drive half way across the US for Mickey or a race will not come to Cooperland for DirtWeek

I have no problem driving half way across the country to see Mickey but I don't do it every year, I go every 3 or 4 and go other places for variety. Same with riding.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
AssistSuper said:
If you like to fudge on the law a little, you can ride your bike from Cooperland to the 500 down dirt roads. It's not that far from it.
The ride over there was a blast! 30-40 bikes crusing down the road :)

I've begun contact with the owners of DSP ... will update when I have something. It's all about schedule and cost.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I don't think Michigan is too far north! :nener:

Dutch Sport park is a sweet track!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if i cant talk anyone else into going im fedexing my bike and flying solo to the next DW regardless if its in Katmandu ..............so be warned RIDE WITH ME OR DEAL WITH ME :boss:

PS someone plan on picking me up at the Muskokee intl. airport hair care and tire center :laugh:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i live 1 1/2 hours from mickey and still wouldnt drive there
but will drive to ride my bike if work and funds allow it
just needs to be someplace or time that its warm
hate the cold

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Okiewan said:
I've begun contact with the owners of DSP ... will update when I have something. It's all about schedule and cost.

:cool: Only 883 miles from our front door! That's a drive I would DEFINITELY make for Dirtweek! It's equal to about 1 3/4 trips to Cooperland from our house in IA, and that was a 9 hour drive or so. We could do that in a day...well maybe two days since we'll be towing the enclosed trailer...but still, I'd definitely do it! :nod:

Dutch Sports Park looks very accommodating. A change of scenery is always good! As much as I like Cooperland, I'd love to travel to different places to go riding. Plus, as others have said before, you'll probably get a different crowd and new people that haven't made the trip to CL because of the travel distance.

AssistSuper

Apr 4, 2005
Okiewan said:
The ride over there was a blast! 30-40 bikes crusing down the road :)

Hey Okieman, if it's up north and you just happen to take I-35 through Oklahoma, don't be suprised to find me in the back of your truck at some point in Kansas.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

FRESH VIDEO

Top Bottom