SoCa D/37 Ghostrider Non-ride report

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Sorry, not a ride report, but observations from our club hosting the AMA D/37 Ghostrider Enduro last weekend. FMF was a sponsor, and many of the SOCa clubs were there, being a points event and then some; not a national this year.

A month ago, I volunteered to accompany a scouting crew for the 1st loop, and work a course crossing on the 2nd loop the day of the enduro.

My oldest son (placelast Jr.; 17 YO this month), youngest (extra shorty; 13 YO) & I arrived Saturday at 2pm to find thumbs already setup, no others at this “early” hour. I ask him what’s doing – says he’s been up the yonder hill a few times, looking forward to a loop with us. I say we head on out to find our “flag” spot, where the AA/A/Bs loop crosses the C/Ds contestants. All I had was a map & a general understanding of the area.

We head on out backwards, following the ribbon on loop #2 - not to smart, but we took our time, looking for oncoming traffic - and, man, it was great to be in the saddle again! We stopped several times along the way so thumbs can get oriented, being the other adult in our group. Coming upon various spots where ribbon had crossed, then only to find we hadn’t gone far enough, we finally came upon our assigned spot, down a sand wash - looked to be a challenge if I decided to drive the p’up in, moreover to get back out (2WD :o

Going further down the wash, we looked for the A/B & C split, but no dice; come to find out we overshot it and instead got a good view of the Panamint range, which makes up the west border of Death Valley. That right, where many had died & were buried 150 years ago :o . We decided it was time to head back.

On our way back, we spun off to Charlie’s Place, but turned west back towards camp ~½ mile before due to MX tanks on thumbs’ & extra shorty’s bikes; no trip there is complete without weaving thru the high rocks, Stonehenge-like monuments strewn thereabouts. We eventually tied in with the 1st loop, & took it all the way back to camp, the while doing the usual bike exchange. Here, try this.

Before heading into town for chow, Jr. sets up his tent, I lock up the bikes, & CPTjack & The Eel pull in; “sorry to ride & leave, but the wife is waiting @ the hotel, where I will be spending the night.” Eel asks my thoughts on the setting sun, if there is time to get some riding in before dark – I said some, but not much, so they go their way & we ours.

Later that evening all five of the Gill clan comes out yet again drop off Jr. The noise from the band is no help for my wife’s threatening headache, so conversations are short. Eric: give the DRNers your BBQ steak story…

Next morning I arrive ~7am, load the bikes up to head out to our distant observation spot, but not before we get our assigned time to be at the crossing, and stopping again in town for vittles & fuel.

Jr. & I navigated the open desert as best we could to arrive at a safe staging area. Dang, it’s lonely way out there in the middle of nowhere! We unloaded, got basic gear (boots/gloves/helmet) on and took off another 1-2 miles to our spot. It sure got boring fast, being there 1&1/2 hours before our post time, but we found some old sticks (rock baseball) to keep us entertained. It was overcast, with a 10 MPH wind, in the mid 70s.

Then the first course runners came thru on the AA/A/B loop: brett r, Eric “Mr. Vixen”, The Eel. Glad they came by, as we appreciated the conversation. After a few they left to man their assigned checkpoint. Another ½ hour passed, then three other riders came up on the C loop, one of them CPTJack. They too stayed a few, then headed off to join the first group.

More dead silence followed (other than the wind).

Then the workers for the course split came by: High & bye.

Finally, at 11:49am, three XR650R riders came roaring thru. Gad, they were making time on them things, even in the rocks! Thereafter, every minute, a group of two, sometimes three, other times four riders. My job was to direct them on their respective routes, so that they done get confused and continue on the wrong course. And none got crossed up, unless they didn’t pay attention at the split a few miles back.

The entrants were predominantly A & Bs, very few Cs. Being a Best of the West event, here were plenty of AAs there too: Ty Davis, Paul Krause; I was told the Dirt Rider Magazine crew, Tom Webb & others – tho I recognized only the former two when they came thru. Oddly, Ty didn’t look fast, but it must’ve been his smoothness, control, & mastery of his YZ, whereas Paul looked fast with his KTM pitching & lurching – not out of control, but definitely “looking” fast. Another guy had a flat, but kept going; some whooped out loud, & others looked like they needed a break; just beat.

Two guys coming up the wash on their RFS did wheelies for my son as he videotaped. Another guy coming thru on a WR4XX had thighs as thick as my waist! but he was making good time. Another was certainly heavier than his horse; perhaps he was Lumpy of Dirt Bike fame…

At 1:20pm we saw the last of the fast A/B boys come thru, numbering in the 70s; then 10 min. later a group of Cs; one of the latter had gotten lost, off course. Then another 20 min. to the last rider: a straggler on a - oh – ‘late 70‘s PE175, twin shocks, drum brakes & all, having a green seat cover on it, tho it was mostly clad with yellow plastic. He voiced concern about houring out, but decided to soldier on.

Then sweep came thru @ 2pm, and we were outta there. What a different, 4-hour experience for us...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I got out to Spangler around 5:30 in the evening on Saturday and after quick hellos with friends I haven't seen in awhile we took off for a quick ride before dark. I ran into Ridgecrest to get some food and stuff and we hopped up a little campfire to cook just as the band began to play. Imagine that - a band out in the middle of nowhere ! Cpt Jack and Thumbs scoffed at my idea of a fire and cooking up a steak but I soldiered on and accomplished both - though the steak I admit tasted like dirt. That's mostly 'cause I cooked it in a pretty low-rent way and indeed it tasted like dirt because alot of dirt got on it. Jack was calling me "Supergrunt" but they both braved a few bites and everyone seemed to agree that the steak was awful. :D We knocked back a few Sierra Nevadas around the fire and drifted off to bed.

The Ghost Rider was a great time. I got assigned to pre-ride the second loop - make sure the ribboning was still up and fill in any gaps - then proceed to check L to mark the A & B riders' cards as they came tearing through. This was the first time I've ever worked an enduro and it was quite enjoyable. Heck - I got to ride the entire A/B rider split and then spectate as I marked cards for some of California's finest. For a moto fanboy like myself it was a hoot to see guys like Krause, the Hengevelds, Daniel, Mattson, Tom Webb and many others roll through. I really dug it and I can't wait to see the results. The course was gnarly !

My friend Cpt Jack was particularly forgiving since he rode out to the check and I really didn't reveal to him what it was gonna be like trying to get out there. Needless to say he made it and surprisingly he didn't kill me upon arrival. :p Thanks for being so easy going about the whole thing CPT.

To sum up it was a great weekend and I hope everyone had as good a time as I did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom