LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
Rich...
Exif shows "Light Source : Fine Weather"

Wha?

My Nikon is so smart it even recognizes a nice day. :whoa:

Here's how the Nikon RAW program reads the JPG EXIF data and the original RAW/NEF EXIF data.

Attachments

• EXIF_info.jpg
    EXIF_info.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 101
  • NEF-EXIF-info.jpg
    NEF-EXIF-info.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 103

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
faceplantin said:
Great shots. I can't believe how clean the city is. Boston is a disgrace compared to Chicago.

Downtown Chicago is amazing. :nod:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It mus have something to do with how the EXIF tags are read.

I did find this :

TIFF Tag LightSource
IFD Exif
Code 37384 (hex 0x9208)
Name LightSource
Type SHORT
Count 1
Default 0 (Unknown)
Description

The kind of light source.

The specification defines these values:

0 = Unknown
1 = Daylight
2 = Fluorescent
3 = Tungsten (incandescent light)
4 = Flash
9 = Fine weather
10 = Cloudy weather
11 = Shade
12 = Daylight fluorescent (D 5700 - 7100K)
13 = Day white fluorescent (N 4600 - 5400K)
14 = Cool white fluorescent (W 3900 - 4500K)
15 = White fluorescent (WW 3200 - 3700K)
17 = Standard light A
18 = Standard light B
19 = Standard light C
20 = D55
21 = D65
22 = D75
23 = D50
24 = ISO studio tungsten
255 = Other light source

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
Humm... strange descriptions. Does the 200 have "scene" selections?

No it's a real camera. ;) There is no full auto (green) mode at all.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
One of my favorite pictures. I took about 50 shots from this same spot on the adjoining bridge , but this is the one I really like.

Attachments

• Wabash_bridge_NX.jpg
    Wabash_bridge_NX.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 108

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
That is a fantastic shot! I've got so much to learn about night time shooting. I'll be driving through Chicago next Tuesday maybe I'll have to haul my camera along.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Thanks Doug - You have to bring your camera. I've only scratched the surface of the great locations to shoot from. You won't believe the variety to be had.

This was the first time I ever shot at night and I learned a ton (and froze my ass off :) )

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Another one from the same night.

Attachments

• DSC_0556_NX_DRN.jpg
    DSC_0556_NX_DRN.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 93
B

biglou

Is that "Smith and Walinsky's" restaurant at the base of the right corn cob? Two summers ago I stayed at the HOB and we ate at S&W. That's where I got all tore up on vodka and drunk-dialed everyone on my contact list. You know, just to tell'em how much I loved'em! :laugh:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Yeah S&W is somewhere in Marina City (aka the Corn Cobs :) )

I think this is it.

Attachments

• SW_Lou.jpg
    SW_Lou.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 102

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Hey Rich, has the city of Chicago hired you yet? You'd be a great source for some nice literature on the city! You're making me want to visit Chicago. I was there once as a little kid (my dad was born and raised in Des Plaines, Illinois) but I don't remember much of the city...except for the snow.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kawidude said:
Hey Rich, has the city of Chicago hired you yet? You'd be a great source for some nice literature on the city! You're making me want to visit Chicago.

That reminds me of something funny that happened recently.

I work for the power company here and I have some nice shots of the powerlines and sunsets, and various things that involve the work we do. One of the engineering guys who saw the pics in my cube suggested that they would be a good fit for the inhouse magazine we have here (we are a BIG company) So I happily sent a bunch of my pictures to the editor of the mag to see if she wanted to use any of them. I didn't want anything for them, I just thought it would be fun to see them in print.

I got an e-mail back telling me how much she loved the pictures, but how she couldn't use them even if I offered them for free . I was needless to say confused. :whoa:

It turns out they will only use pictures from UNION photographers. I didn't even know there was such a thing. :coocoo: After I did this :rotfl: for a while I decided maybe it was for the best.

The funny part is the photography in the magazine is awful. I was taking better pictures with my Kodak Instamatic when I was 10. I'm not convinced we are reaping the benefits of UNION QUALITY in this case.;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
hadda' touch another one Rich.
Original below

I like the look of the water and the reflections. :cool:

The rest of it looks oversaturated to me, and the purple hue in the sky looks too fake. Of course, that said, you are still way better at cleaning them up than I am at taking them. :bang:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
It's supposed to look fake mister :)

Mission accomplished I guess. :whoa:

I just hate that look. :yell: ..... this is my new favorite smiley guy.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
I got an e-mail back telling me how much she loved the pictures, but how she couldn't use them even if I offered them for free . I was needless to say confused. :whoa:

It turns out they will only use pictures from UNION photographers. I didn't even know there was such a thing. :coocoo: After I did this :rotfl: for a while I decided maybe it was for the best. QUOTE]

I've had some interesting Union experiences too. In a past life, I hired voice talent to do my company's radio commercials. We stumbled upon a guy that had a great voice, but he was a Union member. We negotiated a price directly with him and we were both happy. When we finally got the invoice for the work he did, his Union tacked on a charge to help cover his pension and his medical benefits. It ended up costing us almost exactly twice as much as what we agreed on. Needless to say, we didn't use that guy again.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Let's just do it with pastels and call it a day!

Attachments

• Daytime.jpg
    Daytime.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 95
Top Bottom