Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I was out tonight scouting locations to do some super wide panorama shots of the Chicago skyline. While I was there trying to work out the details I figured I should shoot the obligatory "postcard" shot just in case I ever need a job running a tourism kiosk. :whoa:

Attachments

• D300_1381_1a_drn.jpg
    D300_1381_1a_drn.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 179
  • D300_1381_2a_drn.jpg
    D300_1381_2a_drn.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 175

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Just a thought. post up a version without the two towers with the red lights. The red tower lights on the right really distracts my eye. I'm just curious how it would look.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Papakeith said:
Just a thought. post up a version without the two towers with the red lights. The red tower lights on the right really distracts my eye. I'm just curious how it would look.

PK - I have a bunch of shots from last night. When I get home I'll find one that doesn't have the Sears Tower in it.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I'm going to try to explain myself. It'll probably come out wrong but *shrug*. Also, keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about and just going with my gut reaction.

It's not the tower itself. I think it's more the red reflected in the water. This is going to sound odd, but it changes the mood of the photo as I scan left to right. The Blue is nice and mellow and I'm all relaxed and then--- RED! My brain also can't decide where my focus should be on the picture.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Makes sense to me. That's why I did a version in B&W just to see how it changed the feel of the picture.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I vote for the color version, awesome shot Rich!

Papakeith said:
The Blue is nice and mellow and I'm all relaxed and then--- RED!

I KNEW you loved Yamaha deep down inside!

Anywho, I agree the red is a little distracting.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I, too, like the color photo better. The one thing that bothers me is how bright the bluish light is - can that be toned down?

It almost hurts my eyes to look at...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
squeaky said:
I, too, like the color photo better. The one thing that bothers me is how bright the bluish light is - can that be toned down?

It almost hurts my eyes to look at...

I'll post some of the other versions that are shot with different exposure and different white balance. :cool:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That's a nice tweak Indy. Overall it's a scene that is begging for HDR. :cool:

Here's another one from last night. While it's not a great picture from a technical standpoint, I really kind of like it. I'm not sure the things that make it work for me as wallpaper on a 24" LCD translate to a small image.

D300_1378_1a_800.jpg

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
That's a nice tweak Indy. Overall it's a scene that is begging for HDR. :cool:

Thanks Rich..

Just have to isolate the area you want to play in, and adjust the brightness and saturation. Really easy.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You still standing on your no hubbard cave shot? The lake front won't look like that this weekend! Back when I worked down there the japanese was buying up every piece of real estate possible. Gary's hopped up picture made the red lights a lot less distinctive.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
LEllis7motox said:
Yeah some of them look connected... :think:

They're supposed to look connected.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I like the color version better of the first two you posted. Those color reflections look really nice!

I also like the last one you posted. Normally I'd say that a little separation between the buildings and the background would have been good, but I kept looking at it and I'm digging how the shapes of the buildings are implied by the lights coming out of them. Pretty cool technique!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Red 250 said:
Here are a couple of shots I took one morning about 6:30..

That third one is a really nice shot. The rays of light always add something special.

oldguy said:
I would really like to see just a bit more definition of the buildings outlines on the last one

Kawidude said:
I also like the last one you posted. Normally I'd say that a little separation between the buildings and the background would have been good, but I kept looking at it and I'm digging how the shapes of the buildings are implied by the lights coming out of them. Pretty cool technique!

Dave & Kawi. Like I said earlier, the little compressed version posted here doesn't show it too clearly. It looks pretty good on a 24 monitor but it's a long way from being what I saw in my head. I think it's a good basic concept, but this one is just a poor example/execution. The upside is I have an excuse to head back to the beach and try it again. Next time I'll shoot it at a longer focal length and do a multi-shot panorama. ;) If I get ambitious I'll shoot brackets for each panorama section and then combine them with HDR to see if I can get the look I was going for. I've see it done right in drawings of the New York and Chicago skyline, I'm just not sure if I can pull it of with a camera. It's worth a try though.

Earlier that night I tried to capture the beauty of harbor ( same basic spot, just facing west rather than east) as the sun was setting. I missed the great shot there as well but learned a lot about what NOT to do, so it wasn't a totally wasted effort.. :whoa:

D300_1350_800.jpg

... and one last one from when I was goofing around getting ready to pack up and leave. :whoa:

D300_1382_800.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom