Rossco

Sep 17, 2000
---Is there some kind of trick to getting a spark plug out on a 2001 XR250? It is really down there! The manual says to use the multi-purpose wrench that the dealer gave me. I don't understand how that can work because I can't get it down there. I know this is a stupid question, but I am somewhat new to dirtbikes. Thanks a lot!
smile.gif

Ross

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
The multi purpose wrench fits over the end of the really long plug tool. If you don't have the plug tool that came with the bike. You can get one that will work at http://www.denniskirk.com/asp/detail.asp?PartNo=281814&ProdType=14&SubProdType=wrenches&Name=Engine+Tools+%26+Wrenches&MultiDim=N.

The bad news is, you've got to be sure to get all the dirt and crud out of the plug recess before you take the plug out. If you don't the dirt will fall into the cylinder. Use compressed air, if you have it, to blow out the dirt.

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'73 Maico MC400 (most of it anyway)
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
Vintage Dirt Home Page

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
use the stocker as stated( go to your Honda dealer) works easily

trick of the day....mud gets clogged near the front of the plug,so take a 4"x4" piece of rubber(old tire tube works) and fold around the cooling fins. This helps to keep mud and dirt out.

D:

------------------
2001 XR250R
2001 XR400R

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
I use a standard 3/8 drive, 5/8 spark plug socket, short extension, and standard rachet.

xrsforever, that's a great tip about the inner tube shield. I'm going to put one on my bike. Thanks

Top Bottom