Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
Hey Guys
Ok, I've removed all the case screws, the clutch and the gear off of the cranck. The Magneto, and flywheel are off as is the cylinder.
The puller is on its way (mine was to narrow...by a 1/4 of and inch).
The parts to rebuild my cranck are in at the dealership. Has anyone split the cases and just let everything rest in the clutch side case? the cranck will ahve to be pressed out of the R-side case right ? I dont see why it wouldnt work. Does anyone else ? Anyone try it.
I would like to avoid dissasembling the shift mechanism if possible, but If i have to I have to.
Thanks guys!
Tim

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
Not sure on the KDX but I had the same thoughts on my yamaha and after looking at the innards I believe that you might be correct in your assumption. I went the other way and did disassemble the shift mechanism and at the time of disassembly it did look complex, however when I was reassembling the engine it all made sense to me and now I understand how the gears change when I shift.
So to answer your question, yes you could probably do it (not sure how you would get the right hand crank bearing pressed out or installed with all those spindles and gears there) but taking thre shift mechanism apart would be good experience and putting it all back together isn't that hard especially if you have a shop manual

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
It's not that I am afraid to dissasemble it because of its complexity its just that i dont want to mess with what works already. I figure the less I disassemble the better.
Its not the bearings I want to press out. I have read that the cranck is pressed into the bearings and needs to be pressed out.
Thanks.
Tim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom