CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
I went to tighten the spokes on my 250 last weekend, which I have put off for a while due to a misplaced spoke wrench, and when I tried to turn the nipple on a few spokes, the spoke just turned and would not tighten (yes, they were unacceptably loose) a couple of the spokes rotated in the hub and are facing the wrong way and are bowed. I don't want to leave it this way.

what do I do?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
sounds like the nipples are siezed to the spokes. If you are very lucky and haven't twisted them up too bad you may be able to get them to move by spraying PB Blaster or something on them. You probly will end up having to replace the spokes. Good luck!

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
:| That sucks. I really hope I don't have to replace them.

Does it take much skill to reassemble a wheel?

How do i keep my spokes from doing this in the future? anti seize?

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
CHR!S said:
:| That sucks. I really hope I don't have to replace them.

Does it take much skill to reassemble a wheel?

How do i keep my spokes from doing this in the future? anti seize?

I wouldn't personally lace my own wheels

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It takes a little skill to lace a wheel. I've done it, mine was relatively easy because it uses all of the same length spoke. Some rear wheels use as many as 3 different sized spokes and you've got to figure out where they all go.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
spoke lacing is TIME CONSUMING but not hard. seems i did a search on here and found some good techniques. it took me three attempts to redo my cr rear wheel (3hrs) but it was cheaper than taking it to the shop. be sure to look and make sure your hub is actually centered in the rim (no offset) before taking the wheel apart. just use a cutoff wheel and cut the spokes. oem spoke prices are out of sight. i used buchannon stainless spokes. they are larger than stock and i had to ream the rim/hub holes but it was no big deal. i was lucky and all my spokes were the same. take pictures of how the wheel is laced before taking it apart.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
yea i did mine 1 at a time- cut the old ones out with side cutters-
after there all in - start at the valve stem go every other spoke 1/2 turn untill 3 times past the valve stem, check for straightness

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take the tire off and hold them from inside! If you try the vise grips it will ruin the nipple. You could just replace the nipple. If you can get it unscrewed, anti-seized, it should be good to go.

Mar 16, 2007
is there something like a socket wrench for a spoke tightner tool? by this i mean something that would just stay in place on the spoke and you could just move the wrench back and forth instead of having keep taking it on and off every little bit you tighten it down. wouldnt be that big of a help for just tightening a few spokes but if you had to completely redo a wheel could save you quite a bit of time im thinking

Top Bottom