rotten

Apr 8, 2009
I went out riding for a few hours the other day and towards the end of the day my bike wouldnt stay running, it took forever to get it started and once it was started it wouldnt stay running unless i was rippin pretty hard, every time id try to gear down and come to a stop it would die out and i couldnt throttle up or anything to keep it running. before all this happened the bike wouldnt idle for very long either but at least it would idle for a bit. any suggestions???

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
My 03 kx250 is doing the exact same thing and I'm an idiot so I am putting it in the shop tommorow to have the clutch redone and the stalling, not wanting to start or idle issue diagnosed. I will let you know as soon as I find out.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Just from looking at where the carb meets the rubber of the reed valve it does appear cracked and dry rotted on the outside. When I turn the airscrew either way it dies. As I said before... I'm an idiot, so does this sound like an issue with the reeds ?? Is it fairly simple to change or should I pay the extra while it's in the shop and have 'em change them aswell ??

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
cowasucky said:
Just from looking at where the carb meets the rubber of the reed valve it does appear cracked and dry rotted on the outside. When I turn the airscrew either way it dies. As I said before... I'm an idiot, so does this sound like an issue with the reeds ?? Is it fairly simple to change or should I pay the extra while it's in the shop and have 'em change them aswell ??
They are not hard to change but I don't have enough info to diagnose your problem. The fact that turning the air screw in or out doesn't really help. If you have the same symptoms as Rotten it could very well be the reeds, Hard starting a and only running good at high RPMs is the first clue. The power valve could also be stuck wide open but chances are it's the reeds.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Allright, now I'm about to really "let the idiot out".....how do I know what reeds to buy??? Do I just get them to fit an 03 kx250 ?? Or do I need to know what kind of reed valve is in it now???? As ignorant as I sound, I'm pretty good at fixing somthing for the first time. With the correct parts, tools and either a diagram or someone to answer a few questions..... I could build a freekin jet airplane. If anything I'm confident !

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
.....And part 2 to my last question is do you have to buy the reed valve for the vforce reeds or will the replacement petals fit the oem valve or should I just shut up, quit while I'm ahead and go with the damn pro series ??? Thanks again guys, this has been the best feedback I've gotten yet. Nobdy commented on my being an idiot or said "go buy a service manual you jackass !!"

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Go buy a service manual you jackass. ;)

The V-force comes with it's own cage and their reeds won't fit in a stock cage. On some bikes you have to modify your stock boot for it to fit but they give good instructions. You can call them and ask.

You could always just go with stock reeds and then you don't have to worry about whether they will fit or not. Boyesen makes reeds that will fit in the stock cage too.

BTW, I like the ring of a "confident idiot" but I doubt I'd fly in any jet that you built! :laugh:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
RM_guy said:
BTW, I like the ring of a "confident idiot" but I doubt I'd fly in any jet that you built! :laugh:

I'll second that, lol. ;)

Seriously, them more you spend the better the reed setup. V-Force reeds make a nice upgrade, but are pretty spendy. The dual stage petals for stock cages work well too.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Allright V Force Reeds have been ordered. I've been readin' up on them....sound well worth $150 . Thanks RM... Joe, you've saved me lots of time & money. Your time and knowledge is greatly apreciated!!!

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
I had that problem a few days ago, the problem was the friggen humidity was so high, and ......well carburetors HATE humidity so my bike ran like crap

by the time the humidity started to lift it was much better...maybe this is part of the problem?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
cowasucky said:

I just reread that. You definately want to replace the boot to the carb while you have it off to change the reeds. All you will be getting is a cage with petals. If that splits enough to let air in it can lead to a runaway engine.

Top Bottom