Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
There was a post about a fix for rear brake locup which stalls the motor. I think it was by marcusgunby. It involved the insertion of a small bolt, 5mm I believe, in the banjo fitting on the rear caliper. I did several searches, but could not come up with the thread. I'd appreciate getting the details on making this change to my '00 300 EXC. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by Bigbird (edited 03-20-2001).]

Tin Man

Mar 2, 2001
If you had ever owned a Yamaha you would know the cure to rear wheel lockup stalls is to use the clutch every time you use the brake

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Re: Yamaha riding style. I am looking for the thread to do the fix on my bike. The problem is not only with lockup stalls, but the fact that the back brake is too sensitive or grabby. A suggestion for a fix was on this forum some time ago, but I did not need it at the time because my previous bike did not have this problem. Now I'd like to try the fix to see if it makes the back brake less sensitive. Again thanks, anyone, for the help.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I would like to know the fix also. A friends '99 200MXC does the same thing.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Strick, I e-mailed marcusgunby regarding the fix. He was kind enough to explain the various fixes. I will forward his e-mail to you.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Yamahauler, unfortunately I deleted the e-mail. The fix was to reduce the flow of fluid to the rear caliper by putting a 3mm screw that is approximately 20mm long in the hollow opening of the rear banjo bolt. I ended up not doing this, but rather brazed the hole on the side of the bolt closed and redrilled it to approximatlely half its original diameter. This has worked very well reducing my stalls to one in four races from numerous per race.

There were some other fixes suggested such as using a Kawisaki rear brake line and Honda brake pads. I did not experiment with these options.

Good luck.

------------------
Sponsors: My Wife, Pug Racing
Redding Dirt Riders

Top Bottom