cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Hello
Recently i have attempted to repair the light coil in my magneto. by doing this i have damaged the main spark coil in the magento. from what the bike shops tell me i can only get the whole assembly (stator) on the parts fische, i have sent the coil off to be rewound hopefully this works ok. Has anyone else ever had this trouble or hints on replacing the spark coil your tips would be great

Spawn

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
cfspawn said:
Hello
Recently i have attempted to repair the light coil in my magneto. by doing this i have damaged the main spark coil in the magento. from what the bike shops tell me i can only get the whole assembly (stator) on the parts fische, i have sent the coil off to be rewound hopefully this works ok. Has anyone else ever had this trouble or hints on replacing the spark coil your tips would be great

Spawn

Had what trouble?

If the exciter coil was damaged while working on the light coil, something happened that shouldn't have. You made a mistake somewhere along the line. You should be able to take the rotor off a gadozen times and not hurt the exciter coil.

I'm saying it's not a KDX 'problem'.

Tips on replacing the spark coil:

RickyStator. Period. That not from personal experience, but I've read plenty of others' experiences. Ricky is the place to get it done.

There is considerably more to it than wrapping wire around a coil a bunch of times. If Ricky isn't doing yours, I would expect to have problems with it...everything from spark timing problems to very early failure.

I don't know what his stance is on overseas shipping and such. Would work better if you knew someone over here you trusted that would handle it for 'ya.

Good luck!

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Coil Failures.

Hey
Yeah well the failure was my fault by stabbing it by mistake with a screwdriver!! :-( i am sending the coil plate with the coils on it to be re wound to a local place in Australia as he is EX Kawasaki Aus mechanic and head honcho and knows the correct amps and specs for the coils to work properly and also garentees his work.
its just a matter of bolting it back on and connecting the wires it shoudl be sweet I AM AWARE THAT it is not a KDX "Problem" but was simply asking for some ideas of other people that have had to replace them

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Hey Mate,
Where are you getting your coils rewound in Oz? How much does this bloke charge? I had a set **** themselves when my crank seal blew out and replaced them with a second hand set which work fine but would be keen to know for future reference.

cfspawn

Jan 19, 2006
Hey Brendan

Yeah i have sent it of to place in Victoria Aus called, "small coil rewinds" aparently he is the only one close that does it here and he is Ex Kawasaki Techo (can reel off wiring diagrams from his head) costs about $150 Aus dollars
let me know if you need any more details

Top Bottom