DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
We have a work day scheduled for Saturday September 22nd at the 500.

If you can make it we could use the help. We will provide the food and drinks.

Thanks, Derek

popthree

Sep 6, 2007
hi, i live in tulsa and i'm looking for places for my son and i to ride. we're beginners. is this track in Stillwater a fit for newbie riders like us ?

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
The area they are referring to is known as the 500. It is approx. 25 miles of trails, 8 miles or so basically circle the place and are wide enough for those......four wheeled things and marked with blue arrows ( trails are most definitely one-way). The rest are red arrowed, and single track, enduro tight. Since the trails are one-way, you can go as hard or easy as you wish. Membership ( required) is 29 bucks a year, for anytime access. If your son is under 16 he's free. Helmets are required, mature behavior is encouraged.
Some of the trail has rain ruts, with a few downhills a beginner might not like.
Come to the workday, it's a great chance to look the place over . There is lots of work to do, a place like this takes effort, but it's worth it.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Actually it's $25 dollars a year.

I thought the trail was hard the first time I rode it, but compared to 90% of the trails I ride these days it's really pretty easy.

If you are interested I would be happy to meet you sometime and get you set up with a membership and show you a few of the short/close to the truck sections that you could repeat until you and your sons comfort level and sense of adventure increases.

We were all newbies at one time or another.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'll try to be there. Work is absolutely crazy. Feast or famine, it is a feeding frenzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

popthree

Sep 6, 2007
hey, thanks for offering to meet me out there Dwreck. very nice of you. i'm not sure when we'll be headed out there, hopefully sometime this month.

i read that it is possible to just stop in @ a local bike shop there in Stillwater to get a permit...is that still true ?

is a spark arrestor a requirement ? my son's little bike does not have one at present.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
hey popthree, good to see you found drn. i talked to you on allthingsmoto the other day. the heartland spodes are the "great bunch of guys who ride at stillwater" that i told you about. hook up with them/us. you'll have a good time.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
No problem.

Yes, you can get a permit at:

Coopers Bicycle Center
220 S. Main Street
Stillwater, OK 74074

It's on the west side of the street South of Hall of Fame and North of 6th Street.

Just ask for a motorcycle permit for the 500. You will probably end up talking to Mary.

While a spark arrestor is always a good idea the majority of the bikes that ride there don't have one and its not inforced.

popthree

Sep 6, 2007
mx547 said:
hey popthree, good to see you found drn. i talked to you on allthingsmoto the other day. the heartland spodes are the "great bunch of guys who ride at stillwater" that i told you about. hook up with them/us. you'll have a good time.
hey mx...Jay..right ? small world, this intermess ! thanks for saying hi. hope to meet you guys out there sometime soon

psycho_rider

Sep 24, 2007
Just Wondering

Hey my dad and I come out and ride at the 500 when we can. We had talked about coming to the work day thing but could'nt make it. But I'm wondering how are the trails now I know when we went to Appalachia Bay the trails are all overgroan, is this the case with the 500?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Depending on how well you know the trails this may or may not make any sense. The blue loop is in really good shape and the red loop is in good shape all the way to the 80 and possibly to the end of the 80. The red coming back in still needs some work. It has grass grown up and hanging over the trail and some serious washouts in a few places.

So 20 good miles of trails and about 5 bad. Just take it easy your first loop and you should be fine. We rerouted the trail in several places and it will take a couple of weeks for the new sections to get burned in but they should be fun once they do.

Top Bottom