Stock 2001 RM 125 -Motocross- Setup??

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hi!

I have a 2001 RM 125, im 5'9 and 180 pounds ( without gear :eek: :D ).. I find that my 01' RM 125 is a bit tame, and has no real over'rev..
I have talked to a few people and they said that there ( stock ) RM is a powerhouse from down low all the way up top!!
I bought my bike new of Oct. 9th last year, and have never noticed a "bite" in it's power.. Why could this be??

At the end of this month I am going to change my sprockets ( they are worn a bit now.. I will change my rear, but keep the countershaft the same ), and I was wondering if I should get a 50, or 51 ( someone told me that you can't get a 51? Is that true? )..
I know this will add some bottom end power, but how much?? Will it reduce the amount of clutch work that I have to do significantly because of the added 'snap'??

And, I would like to know what all of you are running on your 01' RM 125s ( mods/gearing/etc.. ), what type of riding you do, how you like it, personal bio ( weight: 170, age: 20, etc.. ), and what would you suggest to me???

Im 15 yrs. old and I race 125 beg. ( MX now, AX in winter ) In a few races I am going to move up to junior because I found my first race fairly easy.. (I went 1-2, and 1st overall )..

Thanks

motoman542

Uhhh...
Mar 17, 2002
get a 52 tooth sprocket that will give it more torque you should also change your chain when changing your sprockets. It also sounds like you need a new top end get a new piston and a set of rings and your bike should haul.if you replace your top end have your mechanic mill your head and that will give it more bottom to mid.What kind of silencer do you have.if you get a pro circut R-304 shorty that will definetly give it more bark off the bottom

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hi!

I forgot to mention that we just did the topend ( piston, rings, gaskets ) 2 weeks ago :D

Everything on my bike is stock except for a set of Renthal bars..

Are you sure that a 52 tooth isn't to large?? Will I be doing jumps in 3rd, instead of second ( or maybe first? )?

And do you know of any magazines, or webpages where they test all sorts of pipes/silencers on 01' RM 125s?? I was thinking of a Pro Circuit ( later on in the summer ) combo, but im not sure if they work well with Suzuki's..

Any more advice? Or any 'homemade tips' ( mickey mouse ways of getting more HP/better performance out of your bike? :eek: )

Thanks,

Dan

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Your experiencing the RM's famous ability of not pulling like the YZ and KTM motors do under a load IE softer soils. Going up on the sprockets will help alittle bit but don't expect a major turn around in how the bike is going to make its power. Get the BILL's pipe and silencer for it thats what team suzuki use's, besides bills has a contract with'em suzuki for making the team pipes. The moto tassinari reed block helps, or the cheap way is some carbon tech reeds. But all in all I've heard the best way to fix the motor is to get it ported and head mods.

Top Bottom