fretslider51

Jun 23, 2005
Ok so the other day i decided that I should probably change my fork oil on my 2001 XR200R. So i get on the ground and strain until one drain plug comes loose and the oil streams out. Then on to the next fork, I repeat the same process only to realize that the plug is going nowhere. :bang: So it must be stripped. Should I go to the trouble of drilling it out, re-tapping, and buying a new plug? Is there an easier way?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
its not stripped. its turning the the damper inside...hence a damper holding tool. drain the oil from the top caps next time.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Yup, that's not the drain plug. Just pour the oil out the top next time. Best to just reassemble that fork leg, put some pressure on the fork tube from the top and tighten the bottome bolt back down. Or, if you must get it apart, go down to your local auto shop and ask them to hit the nut with an impact gun. One short burst, and the nut will be free.

You may want to go buy a service manual for your bike too. It would help you avoid these troubles in the future :)

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
that's good advice - grab the manual - be careful if someone not familiar with motorcycle forks gets a hold of them and an impact gun - the aluminum is soft.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Good point! The impact gun would be for loosening only. and only a short burst. I actually use a 15 dollar impact gun from harbor freight. The kind that plugs into your cigarette lighter in your car. All you need is one good whack to break it free.

fretslider51

Jun 23, 2005
Thanks guys, I will let you know how the operation goes. My dad and I don't enjoy fixing bikes as much as we do riding them :) so obviously we are not very experienced or educated on the subject. I ordered a manual off the internet and it should be here soon, so maybe I can avoid mistakes such as these in the future. Thanks again

Top Bottom