stripped out oil drain plug hole!!!!!!!!!!

bandit694

Feb 26, 2006
i recently purchased a 96' KX 500 it is in excellent shape except when i went to change the gear oil, i pulled the drain plug and found the threads coated with silicone. i went to retighten it and found the threads stripped. :bang: any repair suggestions??

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
there is heli-coil...

do you know about them?

Crazy

Badgadjit1

Feb 20, 2006
i wouldn't mess with heli-coil, i have had lots of luck with those on bolts with oil pumps and such, types of bolts that don't go all the way through, and you have to drill the hole to the size of the coil anyways, lots of mess..but thats a big hole your working with, personally i would retap it and get a bigger bolt, from home depot or something, and the metal shavings isn't as bad. Dip the tap in oil or something so you get most of the shavings form the tapping to stick to the tap instead of a lot getting in the motor.

KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I agree. I would not use a helacoil on this. Those things can be a real pain in the ass and are really only meant for something where you are going to put the bolt in and LEAVE it it. Since you should be changing your oil often, you will be removing that bolt a lot. You'll have that helacoil all jacked up in about two or three oil changes if you can even get the thing in there in the first place. Take your old plug to Home Depot, find a slightly larger one and then go buy the appropriate sized tap for your new bolt. Drill and tap your new bolt threads and you're in business!

klikboom

Mar 1, 2006
This was my first oil change on a heli-coil for my drain plug. I hope it doesn't get jacked after 2 or 3 times. I didn't do it this time, but what i heard works well is you JB WEld the helicoil in place when it's installed.

Top Bottom