zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
Hey

I was changing the tranny oil today and i got the drain plug on ok, but the bolt where the once the oil starts flowing out to check the level thats where is went wrong. When i pulled that out some threads came with it. It will go back in but won't tighten at the end. It just keeps turning. Seems to grab a tiny bit. I put some blue threadlock on it but i don't know if thats going to be good enough. I hope it will be ok.

What do you guys think?

HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

Chad

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Personally, I would try to drill it out and put a larger plug in it. Some bikes like a KX's have smaller drain plugs whereas CR's/RM's have large plugs, possibly you could retrofit something like that.

I would want the Magnetic tip on it tho, you possibly could find the next bigger size plug from a street bike even.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You can put new threads in it and use the same bolt. Look for thread inserts, epoxy it in, or some come with drive pins to lock them in. Not that you ever over torqued it, but be careful.

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
upstateny said:
Personally, I would try to drill it out and put a larger plug in it. Some bikes like a KX's have smaller drain plugs whereas CR's/RM's have large plugs, possibly you could retrofit something like that.

I would want the Magnetic tip on it tho, you possibly could find the next bigger size plug from a street bike even.

No its not the drain plug its the plug where when your filling the oil you have to wait until it flows out then you know the level is good.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Same thing happened on my dad's CR125.. Just do like Bob said, put get a kit to do thread inserts.. You can buy them at most any autoparts store.

Take the bolt with you so they can help you match it up with the right inserts.

I just cleaned the new threads real good, and used a red thread lock and haven't had an issue with it.

I don't normally use that bolt to check oil level, I just add the amount specified on the clutch cover. If I"m off a CC or 2 either way, it's not the end of the world.

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
I don't think i'm mechanically inclined enough for that. The bolt goes in no problem just dosn't tighten down all the way at the end. Couldn't i just put in the blue threadlock leave it and not bother with again?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
zomiemama said:
I don't think i'm mechanically inclined enough for that. The bolt goes in no problem just dosn't tighten down all the way at the end. Couldn't i just put in the blue threadlock leave it and not bother with again?

No.. there are no threads to lock.

If you aren't mechanically inclined enough to run a tap into a hole, and then apply thread lock to an insert, and then put the insert into the new threads, you probably need to find a new hobby. This one is too technical.

No offense, but that attitude just means you don't want to learn. Fixing threads is one of the easier repairs you'll ever make.

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
your right, i'm going to call my motorcycle shop today and see what they say about get a heli coil kit, or whatever they suggest. Thanks for the help.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah it's easy to fix. When you drill and then tap the hole fill the flutes (the grooves between the cutting edges) of the drill and tap with heavy grease to catch the metal chips. Go slow with them so you don't push the chips into the tranny. Even if you do get some in there it's not a huge deal. They are small and will grind up can come out in the next oil change.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
it´s a simple clutch cover... could be pulled out fast...
i would just drill a bigger hole and make new thread for a bigger bolt like M8.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
helio lucas said:
it´s a simple clutch cover... could be pulled out fast...
i would just drill a bigger hole and make new thread for a bigger bolt like M8.
By increasing the od of the hole to check the oil level, it would be less oil. That elevation is important.

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
Just want to thank everyone for there input. I just bought a Heli- Coil Kit and got it for $50 cause i work at a dealership. I'm gonna give it a shot and do my best, hopefully it'll come out good. The kit comes with the drill bit, tap and 12 inserts + i can keep my old bolt.... awesome.
I'll let you guys know how it goes. Most of you guys proboly think i'm retarted cause its proboly so easy. Anyway

Thanks

Chad

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
yes fox, it is 1mm low. but as indy say, he even dont look at the hole just put the quantity.
how may people put oil in the tranny and wait until the over filled oil comes out, to be just on right level? or use a tool to make sure that the whole bike is level? :laugh:
when it starts to came out just put the bolt on... either with a 6 or 8mm hole... that´s my point :cool:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
zomiemama said:
Just want to thank everyone for there input. I just bought a Heli- Coil Kit and got it for $50 cause i work at a dealership. I'm gonna give it a shot and do my best, hopefully it'll come out good. The kit comes with the drill bit, tap and 12 inserts + i can keep my old bolt.... awesome.
I'll let you guys know how it goes. Most of you guys proboly think i'm retarted cause its proboly so easy. Anyway

Thanks

Chad

Just follow the advice given here, especially by Bob.. and you'll also think you are retarded.. ;)

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
On my bike, the problem with using that hole when you're filling with oil is that the clutch side cover fills with oil faster than it goes through the case to the transmission. In other words, you'll have it pour out of the hole before the oil settles. Then if you stop and just put the screw in, the oil settles and you're underfilled. I just measure and pour. I guess if you pour real slow, this wouldn't occur.
But a ++ on trying to put the heli coil in. I agree you want to take the clutch cover off first so you don't mangle anything with the drill bit or any aluminum bits.

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
Hey guys

I did it! haha i know it sounds stupid but i'm kinda proud of myself. I drilled it out, tapped it, and put in the insert. It tightens in np now. no leaks from what i can see. Now just back to the exhaust and power valves.... I have 2 heads for this bike and have noticed that the head off the bike, the power valves extend alot furthur than the ones on the actual bike. I can see the valves moving but almost have to push on the ones on the bike to make them come all the way out. Is it once there installed on the bike, they only go out so much?

Thanks guys

zomiemama

Jun 8, 2009
i had a constant flow of oil coming out of the bike so that chips would come out, i think it will be ok i'm just gonna pour some more in and let it come out the drip hole to make sure i got everything.

Top Bottom