kenny305

Jan 10, 2005
Hey all, xmas is approaching which means I'll be buying a new bike!
I'm currently stuck between buying a ttr230/YZ250F. I can get a newer model tt230(05-07) or a not as new model YZ250F (03+) for my price range.

Some things that will help

1) I'm 15 years old, and I'm 5'10 and wiegh about 135 pounds.
2) I'm very physically active and do physical activity every day.
3) I mostly plan to ride trails, some tracks and will need to keep up with my friends crf450.
4) I have about 6 months of riding experience under myself and consider myself decent on trails.
5) No racing with these bikes.
6) Me and my friend will be working on our bikes, both will good knowledge of dirtbikes.
7) Really want to stick with Yamaha. Has to be a 4 stroke.
8) I got a big dealership/ and a nice proshop all within a 40 mintue drive.
9) My price range will be 2-2.5k
10) Live in GA
11) 15 years old

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If you hadn't said you need to keep up with a 450 I would have said go with the ttr.

kenny305

Jan 10, 2005
What about a crf250r? I'll be riding alot of trails (alot of stopping and starting) , and from what I've heard 2 strokes aren't meant for that.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
If the trails are tight, and your friends aren't professional riders, you could most likely be faster than all of them on a ttr230. Anyone can go fast on a straight flat piece of ground, and bike makes all the difference. But head into some technical trail and all that power can make you a bunch slower, especially when you get tired. Not to mention you get tired quicker on a more powerful bike. I ride a crf and love it. Like a stock 125 on top, but has substantailly more bottom end. If I had to do again, I think I would go with a 144. Something about the 2t. And either bike can be made into a very cpompetent woods bike. Be careful with a fourstroke mx bike in that price range, lots of people neglect them. The ttr's are pretty bulletproof. The two strokes are cheap to buy used. Good luck.

Jan 3, 2007
I think your buddies are dumb. If 2 strokes were not good for enduro situations then why are most of the top GNCC racers on 2 strokes. If you know how to start good a 250 2 stroke can be better then a 450F, just ask Jimmy Jaret. I think a KTM 200EXC-(MXC-XC-XCW) would be best for your situation.

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
Don't waste your time with the Trail Bike. The YZ all the way.. if only based on how much better it would handle. Have you considered a 2-stroke 125? You can probably find many newer ones in your price range.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
If you are going to be trail riding, I would make this suggestion:

WR250F. You can grow into it, the newer ones have E-start for those tricky off camber situations, the mods that can be done (I've done most of them, and most of them are easy) can turn that bike into a really fun machine. I've left a few 450's in nothing but vapor trails more than a few times. :boss:

If you go with the TTR, I feel you will grow out of it in a year and wish you had gone another route.

Best of luck, hope you get a bike soon.

kenny305

Jan 10, 2005
Yea I'm also looking for a WR250, but for my price range most of them are 03 or less. And the 03's look pretty neglected, and looks like they've ran them and sat them for a while. I think I'm flipping a coin now between a YZ125/TTR230.

Top Bottom