Feanor

Aug 10, 2004
Ok, well if the reader of this hasn't seen my previous posts, let me just say that I'm an ultra newbie who just bought my new KDX-220R last monday...

My neighbor very fortunately is into all things racing on and off road and so he had a receiver hitch carrier that he lent me so I could even bring the bike home after I bought it! :)

My younger brother whose been trying to get me to ride for years comes over after I get the bike home and gives me pointers on riding and accessories to pick up later and their order of importance, we also try to hammer out some dates for riding.

He got on the bike and kicked it over in one try... First impressions by him are that the thing is insanely easy to kick start compared to his Honda 250 motocrosser, also that it is about (in his words) tens times quieter :)

After he left for home I jumped on and started it a few times to get the hang of it (Did I mention that this is my first motorcycle and when I ride it, it will be the second time I have ridden a motorcycle? :) )

So there I am, idling away and I think to myself... "I Live in a court... I know everyone on the street, I'm just going to throw my helmet on here and tool around at slow speed for one lap up and down the block, what could happen?"

So I reach over to the workbench and grab my helmet (and gloves too since they were tright there) and after putting them on I am aimed at the exit of my garage, blipping the throttle and feeling quiet exhilirated...

Then as I accelerate forward slowly, I get to the driveway and stop... A thought again runs through my head... "not street legal... "

Then after a few seconds of hesitation I push the bike backwards into the garage and shut it down... I'm feeling a little like a weenie, always expecting the worst as I take my helmet and gloves off, but I resign myself to the notion that I have nothing to feel bad about; I have a great new bike and its only really two days before being able to try it out...

I'm just about to go back inside the house and grab something to drink and a cop drives by on his way to the end of the court!!! Its been probably a year since I saw a police car on my street and it turns out that my friend across the street called the police because he want to file a report that someone at the carwash had stolen some items out of his minivan...

If I had decided to do a lowspeed lap of the court I would have been been head on with the officer in the middle of the street with nothing in my defense but a stupid look on my face!

I waved to him as he drove slowly by and he waved back... I think the Gods of off roading are with me in my fledgling days! *laughing*

Just had to share...

Have a good one all! Now I'm off to a rental property to fix a danged leak! :(

Feanor

bronco95tgp

Aug 14, 2004
I live in Alabama in a residential area, and I tear down the street and back once a week or so on my KDX when I get bored to a trail that runs along the backside of the neighborhood up in the woods. The only time I have ever had trouble was when my buddy on his Honda 400EX that sounds like a Harley was with me. The officer didn't even mention anything about my bike because it was around dusk and I guess he saw the headlight. A little warning and a speech about how many tickets he could write him and how he could impound his quad and we were on our way! BUT I am not promoting breaking the law, don't get me wrong! ;) I just cant ever decide to ride it on the sidewalk or on the street!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
just add a baja kit - then you are street legal :thumb:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I used to ride my bike sidesaddle with one finger on the kill button when "transporting" my bike from home to the new construction subdivision, previously an almond orchard that I would ride in back when I was 15. I would be stopped every once in a while, but since the officer didn't witness the motor running or me straddling the bike, (I could instantly hop off and pretend I was pushing it) he wouldn't write me a ticket. One day he hid behind some parked cars and jumped out. Scared the #@%& out of me, I slipped, the throttle pegged and away I went in a wheele, sidesaddle no less and hollering at the top of my lungs. The cop was knocked down in the process. He got back in his car and started a pursuit. I got the bike stopped but when I saw those lights flashing and bearing down on me I panicked and took off on the bike. I lost him and somehow made it home to the garage and shut the door quick. Well, you can be sure,that was the last time I did that while living there. I bet the officer spent many of his patrol hours in our neighborhood looking for me after that, but I had enough of that and from then on, would only transport my bike in my old Ford econoline van.

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Skipro3: THAT'S FUNNY!!!! :-)

-G

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
KAY DEE EXER said:
Thats alright over here they will use their cars to knock you off. The dogs. LOL
You make that place sound like a "Mad Max" movie. I remember seeing dirtbikes in that one. (or was it the sequel?)

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I have a mate that got chased for having no rego and they pulled in front off him on the freeway and slammed on their brakes and he ran straight up the back of them and stacked. SKIPRO... It was the sequel. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome I think.

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
No, it's true, most Australians fight tooth & nail for barrels of fuel and we get about in crotchless leather pants with scary masks on. Against popular international belief, Mad Max was actually a documentary. Come visit us sometime and experience it, it's wild!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
One night, about 22 years ago I was out riding my Ô73 Yamaha LT3 100 Enduro Pictured Here! minding my own business on the back streets of town when all of the sudden a cop car came out of nowhere and started following me right on my butt! Perhaps he was trying to read my expired tag that was cleverly covered with a couple leaves that I had affixed to the plate earlier that night.
He flipped on the lights and of course, I pegged it, and shot down a street and looked back and the cop did not make the corner as easy as me and he slid through an empty lot and he was getting on it hard! I turned down another street, hoping to make it to the woods when all of the sudden another cop car came out of an alley and cut me off. I had to lock it up and crashed in the middle of the road, meanwhile the other cop dang near ran me over !
The next thing I know, IÕm looking down the wrong end of a very big revolver! And have a cop shouting angrily at me, but I canÕt hear a word Ôcuz I have headphones on rocking to some AC/DC or something. I had to yell out to the cop and tell him I have to reach into my chest pocket and turn off my stereo. Well he did not shoot me so he musta believed me or something.
The next part I remember, is sitting in the car watching him write out tickets for ÒNo license, No endorsement, Expired tags, No Insurance, Reckless driving...,Ó then he started to write another ÒE - l - u - d Ò then he stopped right there and looked at me and said ÒI think weÕll stop right there and he slammed his book shut.
Next he instructed me to push my bike home, where he would be waiting for me so he could have a little talk with my Mom. He had a kinda surprised look on his face when he arrived at the house and I was all ready sitting in the driveway!

I think Mom was more pissed at getting woke up at 2 am than the lilÕ joyride
Think I told her I was just out practicing!

I had just enough money in the bank to cover the $315 in fines!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
lankytim said:
No, it's true, most Australians fight tooth & nail for barrels of fuel and we get about in crotchless leather pants with scary masks on. Against popular international belief, Mad Max was actually a documentary. Come visit us sometime and experience it, it's wild!
:yikes: :moon:

That's rich lankytim!!!

Top Bottom