salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
So what where the top 5 reasons you had success racing enduros this year?

Choose from these(all my son and I could think of) or pick your own:

Bike preparation
Time keeping skills/computer
Pit Crew
Practice time on bike
Enduro experience
Physical conditioning
Tire selection
Perseverance during ride
Technical riding skills
Luck
Bike choice
Confidence
Pre-race diet
Starting Number - terrain/riders on minute
Riding focus
Pacing

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
It all starts with having heart - As it’s the driving force that leads to all positives in life.

DW

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
1. Alieve
2. Advil
3. Ice
4. moist heat
5. Never quit, even if you are having a bad day, which in my case is most of them.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
CRWinters is on to something there....

Otherwise, I would say none of the above. I do not define success by the number of trophies or points accumulated. I had more fun this year hanging out on Saturday night before the race, riding with good friends, and sharing stories afterwards. Many, many memories....THANKS TGB!!!!

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Wolverine423 said:
It all starts with having heart - As it’s the driving force that leads to all positives in life.

DW

Not to minimize heart... as it is important :cool: ; but, I've never trail ridden with anyone that adjusts suspension 1/2 way through a trail ride. I guess we can't tap those "secrets" that helped you get to AA.

Last edited:

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
fatherandson said:
CRWinters is on to something there....

Otherwise, I would say none of the above. I do not define success by the number of trophies or points accumulated. I had more fun this year hanging out on Saturday night before the race, riding with good friends, and sharing stories afterwards. Many, many memories....THANKS TGB!!!!

Sounds like fun F&S. My son was simply trying to figure out what key things to focus on to improve his results next year. Nothing fancy.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
salgeek - I think F&S and CR are still correct for your son's question - it has to be for fun first. (particularly important for a kid...of any age!) trophies need to be secondary.

So, using MY definition of Success - my reasons are:

Great support from the darling wife.
Great group of guys to hang out with. CR250 and Silver made for some great "minute partners" this year! HUGE contributors to the fun factor.
Always remembering - this is for FUN - not fame and fortune!

tdunn976

Aug 23, 2003
A wife willing to let you follow your heart! Even if she doesn't truly understand.

Having the "Double D's with me all the time!
(they will be able to ride the enduros late next year.)

Great friend for a lifetime!
(Don, Michael, DW, Sarge, Freddy,Scotty B. and the Hunt's my special thanks)

The feeling of success I feel when the political aspects fall togather,and we get fresh trail, recreational oppurtunities,and a good outlook for the future of our sport for our children and thier children.

OH Yeah,the riding and racing

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Scott,
In addition to family, friends and relationships made. :cool: Your ideas in my order.

1. Bike preparation
2. Physical conditioning
3. Practice time on bike
4. Pre-race diet
5. Riding focus
6. Pit Crew
7. Perseverance during ride
8. Enduro experience
9. Time keeping skills/computer
10. (all of the below)
Luck
Confidence
Bike choice
Technical riding skills
Pacing
Tire selection

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Thanks everyone. I guess we should have entitled the thread "how to take an additional 5pts off one's score" I guess in the end... we don't think nearly as deep as you all.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
salgeek said:
Thanks everyone. I guess we should have entitled the thread "how to take an additional 5pts off one's score" I guess in the end... we don't think nearly as deep as you all.

Scott

Did you expect guys that run the series to "tell all" and tip their hand as to what works for them as a competative edge? The competition is fierce my man. It really is just a simple question of what you are willing to sacrifice for a trophy and year end first place award. What's it worth to you?

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Fred T said:
Scott

Did you expect guys that run the series to "tell all" and tip their hand as to what works for them as a competative edge? The competition is fierce my man. It really is just a simple question of what you are willing to sacrifice for a trophy and year end first place award. What's it worth to you?

No problem - Fred, Mike/I respect the fact folks may not want to share their secrets.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
salgeek said:
No problem - Fred, Mike/I respect the fact folks may not want to share their secrets.

This will get you in the right direction, it's 80% rider and 20% bike. As long as the bike finishes then what the rider is capable of determines the success.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
A very wise man once told me when I asked for advice about Enduros:

INCA said:
Magoo has it right Trevor, have fun. The rest will fall in place on its own. You might keep in mind that instant success takes about 15 years.

Young Ted

This was in the first post I ever placed on DRN/MTR - some pretty entertaining reading, especially after meeting the characters that replied......

Happy Turkey day to all,

Ted, if the flock consists of only 2, is it still considered flying in formation?

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
My sons thoughts:
1.Riding focus
2.Bike preparation
3.Practice time on bike
4.Physical conditioning
5.Time keeping skills/computer
6.Perseverance during ride
7.Confidence
8.Pacing
9.Technical riding skills
10.Pit Crew
11.Enduro experience
12.Pre-race diet
13.Bike choice
also,
Tire selection
Luck

My thoughts:
1. Riding focus
2. Physical conditioning
3. Bike preparation
4. Practice time on bike
5. Time keeping skills/computer
6. Starting Number - terrain/riders on minute
7. Technical riding skills
8. Pit Crew
9. Enduro experience
10. Perseverance during ride
11. Confidence
12. Bike choice
13. Tire selection
14. Pacing
15. Pre-race diet
Luck

Here are a few things we have learned this season, probably no-brainers for most of you.

For us riding focus and physical conditioning will be top priorities for 2007. Riding Focus was the key to doing well at Goshen on Sunday. I tried hard most every moment. I had forgotten how good it feels to ride @ 80+% of capability for an entire ride. It has been a very long time since I rode with fire in the eye for an extended period... and it felt great.. Mike too thinks this is key to his success next season - focus brings fast.

Our time keeping skills improved a lot by running the FES series. All we used was a route sheet, timex and odometer on recommendation from several on MTR.

I learned from another MTR friend not to eat to much at the gas stop. I now restrict myself to 250 calories or so. A friend shared one of those gel things at Goshen - and it worked very well and tasted ok.

I ran S12's until I found Pirelli. The MT83(front) and MT44(rear) work better IMO. I found the side wall on the MT83 to be stiffer and less prone to roll and for some reason they seem to have less tendency to ride up the side of a rut. As far as the MT44 is concerned the forward traction is equal to the S12 rear; but, it has a significant benefit in that the knob pattern is such that traction is reduced in braking situations making it less prone to stalls and easier to brake slide. I run 12psi in the front and 9-11psi in the rear. Mike still likes his Michelins.

Don't wait 2 1/2 years to change shock and fork oil, get it done sooner as it did impact performance. During the change I also noticed the Heim joint needed replacing due to being corroded. Thank you for the tip it was a good one - you know who you are. :cool: Both of us will be spending more time figuring out what other advantages suspension tuning can bring us in '07.

glove liners = no more blisters. I bought them one size smaller than my glove size. Thanks for the tip.

Pack a small gas 3 gal. can for the gas truck - it weighs less during the pour. Also pack a cooler that has a flat top so you can sit on it and relax.

Last thing. Calculate and write down on paper how many miles between resets and tape it to your bars this will make it easy to figure out how long the next section is... so you know how long you have to push.

Also, right down and post on your bike what time you must leave a gas stop or gas available.

One last thing Renthal Kevlar grips last many times longer than any other grip I've used.

I've gotten nothing but the best advice on this site - I appreciate that - Happy Turkey day everyone!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Trevor - I checked with the mallards that come into our yard all the time and the answer is - YES.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Here are some aspects that make for a successful enduro season for ME...

1) Finish. That is the overriding goal.
2) Don't get hurt. Trophies collect dust, injuries collect bills... and prevent you from riding, possibly permanently.
3) Realizing the personal satisfaction of pushing myself farther & harder than I thought I could... resulting in...
4) Improvements in riding skill, speed, ability.

Goals for next year...

1) Ride at a pace, along with focus and drive, that is more consistent throughout the race. I typically have a few good sections in each event where I get into a groove, ride smooth, and everything's clicking. Problem is it takes me a few sections to get warmed up, and/or I hit the wall in the final section(s).

2) Increase seat time between enduros. I don't know how I'm going to do this, but it sucks to not ride for 4-5 weeks then attempt an enduro. If accomplished, I think this will help with getting warmed up quicker.

3) Workout to help increase endurance to avoid dying in the last couple sections.

Miscellaneous stuff that helps me...

1) Eat before and throughout an enduro. Some guys skip breakfast and don't eat during a race... I can't do that. I'm eating right up until I put my helmet on and head to the start. Must drink coffee in the morning too.... I tried skipping it to avoid the diuretic affects, but get a dull headache and feel fuzzy without it. I do carry a 102oz CamelBak though and drink every chance I get. Only do Gatorade at the gas stop, along with a sandwich and some kind of fruit. I'm usually starving and feeling the physical effects about 3/4 the way to gas, so can't eat a light lunch. Also carry some trail snacks or gel packs and wolf those down at resets.

2) Glove underliners. Used to wrap my hands in tape to help reduce blistering (would never prevent it completely). Switched to glove liners last season... zero blistering.

3) I like to use color-coded route sheets (thanks Fred!), and also tape a little sheet on my tank with all the section lengths.

4) Row selection plays somewhat into the game, depending on the event. I think it takes riding each event a few times in order to get a feel on course layout, soil conditions, effects of weather, etc, and how to select a decent row accordingly. BTW, the view on row #1 is spectacular - I highly recommend it!

5) Attach a wide, strong nylon strap on each side of rear fender (subframe/seat bolts), and use it to pull out of a mud bog instead of grabbing the wet and muddy underside of the fender. Or, learn to read the trail and pick better lines.

6) Timekeeping is not that big of a deal, IMO. Computers make it nearly a non-issue (unless you screw up the programming or hit some wrong buttons). I personally have a lot more interest in the challenge of riding fast and smooth in the woods than in timekeeping or check placement.

7) Bike preparation and setup should be a given, but this is where I've been burned too often (but have learned from it).

8) Riding in conditions harder than you're accustomed to (Burleson used to ride with a flat tire... on purpose, LM, Drummond, etc), and with people faster than you (not hard to find 'em). I think this is the single most important thing that has improved my riding skills. Prior to 4 years ago, the tightest trail I'd ridden was a narrow Jeep two-track on the outskirts of Grayling. Met some characters named F&S, Fred T, Badgerman et al., and they took me for a ride on this ORV trail called "singletrack". I remember commenting on how tight it was, and that I really ought to mount some barkbusters. They laughed at the FNG that I was....

Anyway, point is that you have to keep pushing yourself to ride outside your comfort level in order to improve. I might have been the fastest two-track rider around, but my skills were very limited and stagnant.

With that in mind, I'd think it would help you improve by riding in different terrain / events (Ohio mud, northeastern rock gardens, rocks/deserts out west, etc.). While probably not a reality until I retire, I'd like to hit all the nationals one year.

Last edited:

sanford

Apr 9, 2002
1. Have fun
2. Have fun
3. Have fun
4. HAve fun
5. Have fun
6. HAve fun
7. Have fun
8. If you are having fun, everything else comes easier.
9. Dont attend enduros that you dont like. Remember it's about fun.
10. Ride/race for yourself. A few years from now, you will be the only rider that remembers how you did at a particluar race.
11. Hang with fun riders.
12. Experience camping out before Saturday before the event
13. Remember your mistakes and ask yourself "how can I avoid it the next race"...flat tires, loose bolts,fatigue,etc
14. Remember we dont do this for a living
15. Remember what works for some dont always work for others
16. Prepare and have fun! :cool:

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
INCA said:
Or as Mae West said ----Ah!--Men.

WOW!!!!!!!!!! Quoting Mae West. Who is she? ;) Ted I always thought you were YOUNG. :nod:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
No connection with knowing a little history and remembering an old joke. Mae was before Marilyn and all the other copy cats.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom