Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
I was considering taking some muscle supplements and I was wondering if anybody knew of any safe ones? I know Creatine isn't that safe, and I'm not familiar with any others. I'm just starting to consider a daily workout and was wondering about the supplements. Any help would be appreciated.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
are you trying to bulk up or increase endurance? Your goal will determine which supplements. Having said that, if I was starting a program. I'd start without supplements, and focus on proper nutrition and proper hydration.

just my $.02

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I would recommend increasing your daily protein to 1 1/2 grams per pound of body weight and taking a good multi-vitamen and a B vitamen. In general if you are working out you are going to need to increase your protien. Also, I am not sure were you are getting your info. from, but I wasn't aware that creatine was unsafe. I have taken it for years on and off with no problems, I am not overly impressed with its results, manely just water retention.

dkortje

Sponsoring Member
Aug 30, 2002
I agree with the protein, it will help your muscles with recovery as you work out more. There has been some contoversy with creatin, but the biggest issue is that creatine is primarily for building larger muscles, wich you really don't need for MX, you primarily need more endurance.

Honda Rider

Oct 1, 2001
I wasn't really sure on what I needed but endurance sounds like they key. For the Creatine, from what I've been told, they say it's possible that in the long run it can damage your liver. That's what the football coach is saying anyways, but who knows. Thanks for the info though on everything.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
How old are you? Height&weight? A proper diet and water will do wonders. Lay off the fast food stuff, simple carbs and junk food. Try for at least 3 days weight training and 3 days cardio.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
there is no evidence that shows creatine to be bad for you. i have used it for a few years and never had a problem. it also doesnt work for a good majority of people either. unless you are a serious athlete dont wast your money on supplements, none of them really work they way the are claimed to, its all advertising. a good diet multi vitamin and a lot of water is all you need.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Creatine probably does not increase your risk of renal failure. These reports were generated from the fact that a large protein load increases glomerular filtration pressure and rate. Conversely, we know that progressive kidney damage can occur in people with PRIOR renal dysfunction where there has been nephron dropout. Forcing a high filtration strain on the remaining glomeruli has been shown to accelerate renal failure (MDRD study) Hence, the false logic. There have been no credible studies showing that a high protein (or creatine) diet cause problems in patients with normal renal function.

Creatine is probably the only supplement I can think of that actually does work. There is no liver association, and the liver never even sees or handles it. Creatine is the high energy phosphate bond donor in the muscle, which provides immediate energy for muscle contraction.

The KEY function of Creatine is to allow you to work out harder than you otherwise would be capable of. This is good news and bad news. While it increases the efficiency of muscle contraction (and therefore your workout), it also pushes these fibers overboard and you end up being sore as hell the next day. Sometimes, serious injuries can occur. It would not be applicable to motocross/SX, but would be for strength weight lifting, football, etc.

Top Bottom