Survey...What are you riding and why...

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Just curios - after an 8+ year layoff I started riding about 8 months ago and I had a very hard time making a decision. Eventually I decided to go with a VOR and last month couldn't resist a used Gas Gas because I was accustomed to 2 strokes and was curious how good the modern bikes are. I found out both 2 and 4 strokes have come a LONG ways

enmerdeur

Feb 10, 2002
Well now that you ask...

I rode a 99' YZ400F for the past two years and although there were some nice things I liked about the bike my short journey into four strokedom was far from nirvana. Even though it is a lot better than four strokes from the past it still was heavy and carried too much of that weight up high.

To make a long story short I switched back to two strokes in the form of a 02' KTM 300 EXC.

So far so good. Lots of grins when ridden. Time will be the true test.

Tapkawiman

~SPONSOR~
Mar 4, 2002
99 KX 500 because there is no substitute for CC's. Plus I need them to haul my big ass around now that I am older and more out of shape..:scream:

Anssi

May 20, 2001
I ride the 520 SX because I need a big bike and big power to haul me around. I used to ride CR5s but they vibrate my fingers numb and the 520 is just so easy to ride because of the engine. I had a YZ250 in between and that required me to be too aggressive to go fast.

I would love to get a CRF450 for the wonderful tech and weight but it's too small in every other possible way (namely, physical size and power). Frankly, I only see a 540 or 570 SX (whatever it will be) in my immediate future.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I ride a 2001 VOR 503 V-cross because I like it. I rode most of whats available last year and still liked it the most. Has the motor and suspension I like for most of what I do. Easy to live with day to day. Starting, maintainance etc. is easy. I have a 2002 450 Enduro but plan to get a 2002 VOR 450 MX because it has everything my 2001 V-Cross has in a package thats lighter, feels lower to the ground, much narrower, and with a lower center of gravity tosses around like a small two stroke. And I don't care to haul the e-start around becuase they start easy enough without one...so my Enduro won't last.

The other bike that gets a lot of time..actually most of my ride time now in the mud, snow and ice is a 1982 XC430 husqvarna. Its a kick and go, put a way dirty motorcycle. I don't have to worry about bending radiators, clogging radiators, scratching it up cause its already ugly, etc. I ride it two times a week even in the snow and mud. Its how I keep track of our place. If it had better forks and didn't vibrate it would be the perfect trail bike. Even against the new ones. Its power is perfect for my size and weight hauling around our place.(like the VOR which will replace the husky in this role when I can't maintain the Husky anymore. The 2001 VOR is one of those bikes that will stay around a long time. Awesome bike.).. and with the wide ratio gear box there is a gear for every situation. Its a fun motorcycles. So by the end of the summer I will boil down to two.

My 1982 Husky and a 2002 VOR 450 MX.
And I have saddle time in most of the current "popular" bikes. Could ride anything I want but this is my choice.

The 2001 VOR will also be around to retire the Husky. Its of similar ilk. A keeper.

:):)

Last edited:

XC250

Mar 6, 2002
Currently riding a 2002 XC250 Gas Gas. The reason I bought this bike is because I didn't need to put 2k worth of accessories into it because it already comes tricked out. The bike is light and still has the low end grunt I like for the woods.

For the past year I have been riding a XR650R, awesome bike for everything once you get used to the weight, from tight woods to open desert the bike performs.

1980 390CR Husky, scary fast, long legged and works for all types of riding, never breaks down, just keeps on going and going and going.

Steve

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
<<< Because it’s light, powerful, and parts are readily available. Used, because it is just as fast and has the same suspension potential as any 2001 out there, at 1/5 the showroom price.:eek:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
KTM for me since 98,
I had three two stokes (380) and am on my 2nd 520.
Went to 4 stroke KTM because it is light, fast and dont have to shift all the time. 3rd gear starts.
For me cornering is easier with the 4 stroke ( sweepers) and the bikes hook up better.
Went from Jap bikes to KTM because I got tired of the cheap parts that constantly wore out ( brake pedal bushings, swing arm bearings, linkage,
cheap frames , bad suspension)
I spend 1/10th the money on the KTM bikes that I did when racing Yams, and Suzuki etc. for me they are superb as far as build qaulity.
Euro feel , well they started the sport.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Great Testimonial - RollingP

I too ride the great orange bike, and my last 4 have been. I really like my 400SX, and loved my '99 300mxc.

There are sooo many great bikes out there. If you can hook up with a DRN ride, or join a local dirtbike club, and ride as many as you can. Then you can pick to right KTM ;)

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
Yea if I can some how swing it I would like to buy this brand new 99 380 sx sitting in a local shop for $4000.00 out the door.
That was a great bike and I had 2 of them new.
I am going to attempt to obtain it.
I love those 50mm WP forks and if I get that bike I am going to try that entire front end on my 02 520sx with summers brace attached.
Even though the 48s are great also.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
EXC 520, I was out of the scene for about 8 years aswell. I have always been on 4-strokes and when I decided to get back into bikes I would naturally get another Honda big-bore.
Then I found DRN and started reading about the European bikes.
Main reasons-Big controlable power, e-start, and 30 pounds less then the Honda 400.
The hard to get parts didn't scare me from the euro bikes, since the old hondas always took 2 weeks for parts anyway!
:moon:

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
KTM Quality & Performance

I jumped off of the Japanese band wagon in Oct. 97 when I purchased a 98 KTM 125SX. I ride it regularly and have never had any problems with it, excellent bike. I was exposed to the new four stroke technology when I purchased a hold over Suzuki DRZ400s in 2001 to commute on and occasionally venture off road. Now I'm wanting to add a KTM RFS 250SX???, 400SX or Husky TC250 to the mix in the near future. I love the torque of my DRZ and want a bike actually made for off road to play around on.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
2001 CR250R. I was out of dirtbiking for ~27 years - I'm 46 now with kids, and going to the Supercross a couple years ago got me remembering how much fun it was back in High School. Since then, I've rediscovered that EVERYTHING I liked in High School I still like, just forgot to keep doing after college, grad school, career, family, kids, etc. I got back into Hardball baseball, pitching in an over 40 year old league in Houston. Of course I hurt myself in both of the two seasons I played in...will that happen in dirt biking? probably. But its a blast nevertheless, and my 2 boys are addicted to both dirt biking and baseball like I was. We had a big bike christmas, and Santa was good to us all.:moon:

OrangeCrush

Feb 25, 2002
My ride

01 KTM 300 exc...........Why? because the drz 400 was my FIRST dirtbike ever and well it was a pig and a half! I went with the KTM because of the way it comes box stock.

I can't explain how much I like this KTM after dropping the heavy Suzook.
It's kind of like baseball, you know how you swing 3 or 4 bats at once then drop them for a lighter bat when your up at the plate...........That's how this 300exc feels to me, much more easy to swing around.

Don' get me wrong I have ridden bikes since I was very young, just not with any consistancy. I have ridden my cousins wr250F and that thing felt heavy to me, the way yamaha put the weight so high...........

I also have ridden a KLX300 thumper and well I have no comment on that bike really HE HE HE...........

I'm officially retiring my wealth towards KTM's in the future, I really don't think anyone will convince me otherwise.....................:p

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Ktm 520mxc , I have always had a 250 for the excitment and some kind of four stroke for trailing riding.Last Aug I got rid of the trail bike and bought the best of both worlds., nice roll it on power/excitment and nice even roll it on power and trackibility for trail riding.

Also,since the first of the year I have been doing desert races and for out of the box, this was the best bike I have purchased in many years, The only thing I have done was to have the suspension done by So. Cal Suspension Systems out of Lake Elsinore ( MX Tech associate ).

So, quality,power,excitment, awsome trailing and out of the box race ready is my reason for riding this bike.

There will be more bikes to come but, I think they will all be 520s

Top Bottom