KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Okay, Here is the scoop, I am aprox 130 pounds with gear. I do not ride extremely hard, heck, I cant even clear half the jumps on the MX track. Anyways, I am bottoming my 1996 KDX 200 like mad!! It has been like this since I bought it about a month ago. This doesnt seem right, I am bottoming front AND rear. Is this normal? If not what are some ideas on how to stiffen it up, and/or make it work better.

As far as I know everything is stock?

THANKS

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
Add some compression to the front & rear, if that dosent help service the suspension, it probley hasent been done yet?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Something doesn't sound right if your 130lbs with stock suspension and bottoming the rear shock. The stock rear shock will handle up to a 200 lbs person, the forks are setup for a 130lbs rider, maybe time for some professional rebuilding. To balance your bike you need a weaker rear spring, then play with your clickers. What are your compression and damping settings? If you're not sure then turn each one fully clockwise counting the clicks, then return them to their original position. To prevent bottoming you want more compression add 1 or 2 clicks clockwise to your forks and shock then test. You can also add more oil to your forks which will stiffen them a little.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
I'd start with the basics and go from there. Suspension should be serviced at least once a year. Chances are good your 96 has never been done and the fork and shock fluid is very dirty and in need of replacement. You could certainly work out some of your problem with additional fork oil, adjusting your sag and playing with your clickers but personally I think the place to start it to freshen up the suspension, balance it and take things from there. Even just freshening up suspension fluid makes a very noticeable difference to suspension performance.

As others have mentioned the KDXs suspension is out of balance from the factory and needs some attention to improve handling. I'd suggest you contact a professional suspension tuner and talk to them about your suspension needs. Balanced suspension greatly improves the handling. We aren't talking about a whole bunch of money here, likely just a shock spring. You may even be able to round up a good used one.

Once you've got these issues sorted out I'm sure some simple sag and clicker adjustments will have you smiling again and be money well spent.

David

KID KDX

May 15, 2001
Cool, I am going on a two day ride this weekend. I am going with some beginers so it will be a perfect time to work on the clickers, when I get back I will swap out the oil.

THANKS

Top Bottom