gturman

Nov 12, 2008
I have a 1978 DS 185. It runs good and I use it a lot. My problem is that I think the head light is getting too much voltage. I have gone through two head light bulbs and they are not easy to find. I just found an NOS bulb but did some checking before putting it in. I took a tester light to the wireing and had voltage. As soon as I reved the motor it burnt out the test light. I went to a dealer today and the parts man couldn't tell me anything. Is there a regulator that controls the voltage to the head light? Is it in the ignition, (CDI)? I see no other thing that it could be. BTW: it's also burning out the tail light bulb.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Electrical is my weakest area (of many weak areas), but I'd be looking at the voltage regulator, part No. 32500-25600. Somebody smarter than I will hopefully have the answer.

digifox

May 25, 2006
2strokerfun said:
Electrical is my weakest area (of many weak areas), but I'd be looking at the voltage regulator, part No. 32500-25600. Somebody smarter than I will hopefully have the answer.

o.0
what i looked at didn't have one posted for it. . .

But if it has one that's going to be the problem

gturman

Nov 12, 2008
So far I can't find anything on the bike that resembles a voltage regulator. If it's in the CDI then I'm out of luck. Only place I could find one on the internet is $180.00..not worth that much to have a head light on such an old bike.

gturman

Nov 12, 2008
It seems that my problem is in the CDI. It is too expensive to replace. I restore old military jeeps that are 6 volt. I have used a resister that drops the voltage from 12 to 6 in them. I'm thinking of using one of these for the headlight since it's 6 volt.

Top Bottom