tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
I'm working on a 1993 Suzuki JR50. The top end is burned up and it looks like the previous owner stopped using the auto lube injection and was premixing. I'd like to use the auto lube instead of premixing. I took apart the oil pump and all looks well and it rotates when the engine is turning over so mechanically it is working but how can I be sure it is pumping oil?

I had the engine running before I pulled the top end apart. The entire top end and crank were bone dry. There is a phillips head screw on the top of the right crankcase cover next to the banjo bolt where the oil feed line attaches. Is this an inspection port for checking the flow of auto lube?

If there's no blockage in the oil feed passageway to the crank, how long should it take before I notice any oil being pumped if I spin the crank with a drill? Thanks.

tightwoods

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you should see it rather quickly. the previous owner probably ran it because the autolube system dumps way more oil than you need in the system. The topends usually are burnt because the cylinder gets muddy and does not cool properly. If your really intent on putting the systme back in then go for it but the bike will run better without it as long as you use quality properly mixed oil.

tdb94

Sep 19, 2007
JR 50 oil-gas problem

I have a question in regard to this oil issue for the jr 50: its been a while 4 me with dirtbikes so bear with me; got a jr 50 for my kid, free. needed only minor cosmetic parts, nothing with the engine. Anyway, realized it had oil injection under the plastic and filled it up with 2 stroke. Ran ok, still need to change plug and clean air filter but it ran ok, just stalled ocasionally. Anyway, also got a kx 65 for older daughter same time, I knew that the oil ratio was 32:1 and had to be put in the gas tank, it runs fine. My problem is that when I was doing the kx for some reason I got it in my head to throw some oil in the jr 50 tank as I had done in the kx. Now the 50 sounds like **** and its sputtering and will barely idle and dies out when you rev it up. Did I "F" it up by adding tooooooooo much oil to the 50?????? Please help. Can I just drain out the fuel and change the plug, will that help or could it be something else. Thx-Tim

tightwoods

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 23, 2000
Drain the gas tank and the carburetor float bowl completely. Fill the tank with straight gas, new plug, and make sure there is 2 stroke oil in the injector tank. That should take care of everything. You may need to install a hotter than normal plug and run the motor for a few minutes to clean it out but probably not. You didn't mess anything up by running it with premix in the tank.

tightwoods :cool:

tdb94

Sep 19, 2007
one more question

Thanks alot for your input; if I could bother you for one more thing. As far as draining the tank, can I just disconnect the hose as it runs into the carb or is there a better way?? and Carb float bowl?????????????? help me out, repairs are not my area of expertise??? Where do I find it and what is entailed in cleaning it??? Thanks again

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
tdb94 said:
Thanks alot for your input; if I could bother you for one more thing. As far as draining the tank, can I just disconnect the hose as it runs into the carb or is there a better way??

That woks just fine.

and Carb float bowl??????????????

Should be a bolt in the very bottom of the carb float bowl to drain the gas.

help me out, repairs are not my area of expertise??? Where do I find it and what is entailed in cleaning it???

Just pull the float bowl plug, and let the old gas out. You could even leave the plug out, and turn the gas on for a few seconds to flush out the bowl.

Thanks again

:cool:

If you don't already have one, you should get a shop manual for the bike. It's one of the most important tools for your bike.

Rotor

silencers

Jun 11, 2008
jr50

Hey,

Did you ever get it solved?
I have some basic questions and no manual... can you email me?

I probably have the exact same question you did about why I have a reservoir under the panel and still have to add gas... or should I say do I need to.. or can I just not add oil to the res and just to the fuel.... 1996

Thanks

tdb94

Sep 19, 2007
past JR50 oil problem resolved

yeah I got it resolved, just did like the one poster advised, drained the fuel tank, refilled clean gas, changed sparkplug and cap and made sure i had 2 stroke in the injector port under the plastic. Had to start a few times to flush it out, but after running for a bit it is just like before. Good luck, hope this helps.

Tim :laugh:

tdb94

Sep 19, 2007
more of an answer

sorry didnt see you question at the bottom. you need to put 2 stroke oil in the compartment because you will seize the engine if you dont. You cant just put fuel in the gas tank and run the bike with no oil. You have to run gas in the tank and 2 stroke in the injector compartment.

Some other bikes run a gas/oil mix right in the gas tank, not the JR 50.

Hope I answered your question, any more email me @ tdb94@myway.com with your email address and I'll get back to u.

JimCoCo

Jul 5, 2008
I don't have a manual for my 2003 Jr50 (which I got from a friend). It runs well, but I want to change the transmission oil. Can you tell me what weight is recommended? And the amount? I also added premix once, and it smoked some. But as soon as I replaced with premium unleaded, it ran great. My son loves this little bike more than his new KLX 110.

Geoffp-_77

Dec 3, 2021
I have a jr50 which I picked up for free. I am replacing the carb. Can anyone tell me where the two oil lines on the carb connect. The oil inlet/outlet on the carb fitted are connect together.

Top Bottom