Swingarm Bearing replacement?

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Hey all!
I am getting new bearings in for the swingarm only tommorrow for the KDX. You shoulda seen the old ones! Oh man, all the pins were broken and missing, rusted to hell...

Any-hoo, are these bearing difficult to replace? I got the old needles out and the inner pin out too, they kinda fell out actually. What else, if anything, needs to be removed for the new bearings?

Oh yeah, do the new ones have to be pressed into place, or do they just drop in? (I have my fingers crossed!)

Thanks guys! :)

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Yea they have to be pressed in, sorry. you can do it with alot of pounding but that buggers everything up. Your best bet is to take it to the place your gettin your bearings from and see what kind of deal they do for ya. Since your buying them from them, sometimes if you ask nicely they can do it fer a low fee. It doesnt take much for them to do it. Im doing the same thing right now and im not gougeing up my stuff.

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Damn...I had a feeling those would have to be pressed in. :| I don't really care if they get a little knocked up, it is only my lil beater box. I am getting the stuff through Dennis Kirk though... maybe I'll ask a motorcycle shop to do it. How expensive could it be?
I thought you could use a socket of the correct size to pound things in and out, any suggestions? :think:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
as Speedy said, they are a pain in the a@@!!! Mine too were rusted and ruined, I pounded until my arm was sore to replace them. It might be easier to take the swing arm to a machine shop to press the old ones out and the new ones in.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
If yours are like mine, the outer sides of the bearings fall apart leaving a round shell in side the swing arm hole there. You will need to press that out or drill it out. I have tried to pound it out, but have given up very quickly so that I do not break something.

Plan on pressing the bearings out, hone out the arm there if there are any nicks, use lots of anti-seize and press the new bearings in. Good luck! I am in the same boat waiting for my parts.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
it takes about 2 min to take the old ones out an push the ne ones in with a press. A good shop shouldn't charge you more than 5 or 10 bucks if that. trust me on this one, take it to a shop and get them pressed in because i have tried the other way then i used our press and it was easy as pie. luckily i had a press that i could use so i didn't have to pay for it but like i said the a shop shouldn't charge much of anything to do it.have fun,:)

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Don't use the hammer/socket method it will most likely damage something. I pressed out my bearings using a few sockets and a vice. Check it out <HERE>

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I agree with Mac. I used a hammer and a socket to do all the rear linkage bearings on my brother's KDX. It worked, but was a pain in the butt! I then switched to a socket and the vice and it worked great. In the future, I will either buy a press or take it to a machine shop.

Top Bottom