CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
It's a boulder problem and I do mean PROBLEM. What I mean is that it was a problem for me the last time I tried it and I'm black and blue and purple and green to prove it. Tomorrow, I'm trying it again. What I'm hoping for from ya'll is some advice on how to get down over this thing withough landing on my head AGAIN and without having my bike land on me AGAIN. THAT hurt.

Here's the scenario: It's a steep trail through pine trees. Jeeps can get through so it's not so terrible tight. The ground is mostly loose weathered granite. I remember heading downhill in somewhat of a rear tire slide. Then all of a sudden, there is this smooth granite rock that takes up pretty much the whole trail. A little dirt bank up and then trees hug either side of this thing so ya can't sneak around it. The top of the rock is nice and even with the trail. The drop is prolly a good 45 degree or more angle for about six or so feet back onto the steep weathered granite trail.

Last time, I hit it sort of at a diagonal and my back tire got in front of my front tire and chaos ensued. Any last minute thoughts before I try this one again would be entirely helpful! Thanks in advance!

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Ouch!! Sounds not fun. I love down hills so I might be able to help you. First you have to kind of get over the fear of going down a hill. Second when you go down hills you shold ALWAYS be standing and putting 90% of your weight on the foot pegs and not the handle bars. (Don't squeeze the bike too much with your legs, just enough to keep from sliding forward too much.) Third your front brake is more valueable on a donwhill than you rear. You learned the hard way by using too much rear and having the rear come around in a slide in front of you. (This is bad!) You should go to a hill and practice riding down it, slowly, standing up, and using only your front brake to slow you down. (trust me, don't use the rear at all). Once you do that then when you get to this rock hill again you will want to be standing and using both brakes but mostly the front. When you get to the rock then put more weight (All of your weight) on the rear and slowly roll over the drop off. Then use your legs to absorb as you get over it. Continue to use the front brake but be careful not to lock it up. You should feel great and make it just fine. Let me know.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Girlrider- You are from Colorado? You might know this rock; It's on the Hackett's Gulch trail near Divide. Thanks for the new strategy; I'll try it! Front brake only on the way down. Once I hit the drop, shift weight to back and add a bit of back brake. We're taking off in about a half hour so I'm getting a bit nervous just thinking about it. 'Let ya know how it goes later on tonight (hopefully)!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Good Luck CJ. I'm sure it's too late but -

I also tend to rotate my feet back on the pegs and pull up a bit (or at least not push down) on the bars to keep the front a little lighter. I had to start doing it on my mountain bike because some of the trails are very steep and loose with rock shelves. It has carried over to my dirtbike. Just don't rotate so far back that you can't get to your rear brake when you need it!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
bbbom- I remember actually doing that today! Subconscious advice works great!

Girlrider- I used the front brake more than usual, and my back tire didn't slide out as much, but I couldn't get myself to use the front exclusively. I would think to myself, "OK use that front brake only now," and then my foot disobey as if my mind and foot weren't at all connected. Yeesh.

Using the front brake did allow me to align myself better this time and I made it over the ledge. Yeah! My front suspension bottomed out on the landing that time. Will figured that if I could make it down I should try going up so I did. On my second pass going down, I got my weight way back and pulled up on the handlebars and the landing was softer that time. Success!

It got very dusty on the way back being third in line and all. On a flat straightaway in fourth gear, I didn't see that big rock in the middle of the trail. Guess I'll need some handlebars before next weekend. 'Didn't like those stock handlebars anyhow, right? Yeesh.

Thanks for the advice! :)

Top Bottom