whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
American Honda revealed the bottom end is not stolen, and from a 95. It fits in the frame, and the exhaust seems to be pointed in the correct position. So, if the pipe fits, the cylinder is a 97? What a dilemma, not knowing for sure. Just box up the top ends and hope Eric can sort it out? I believe I have a 97 frame, go ahead and get a 97 pipe? Vintage Bob

mike-evans

Sep 16, 2009
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Pop the top off, THERE'S A FRIGGING SLEEVE, AHHHHHHHHH!
just out of curiosity and for my own knowledge etc..why do you seem disapointed with a sleeve? What does it mean? What are the good and bad points of a sleeved cylinder? Mike.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
They are near to impossible to line up correctly with the existing ports. It does not dissipate heat like the oem cylinder. The plated bores have a longer ring life. Like my project, paying a little here and there is easier than paying 2 grand for a complete bike. Sleeves would never sell at all if the buyers knew in the long run it will cost them more than having it replated? When the ring starts to wear, the hp drops off. The sleevers can go longer before the bore is damaged though. The plated cylinders will become oblong, and never seal correctly. I hope I can get some pics of the hatchet job on my sleeve, before it goes to Forward Motion. Some really nasty transitions to say the least, I have an oem cylinder to compare it to. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The sleeved cylinder was eye candy ported, strike 3, paper weight? Talked to Eric, had a good laugh or 2, and it seems I have the wrong head also. Mine has the spark plug sitting at an angle, what did this come off of, an older model? Clutch and rod specs in good. I am going to pop the cases and make sure its got good bearings and seals. Along with checking the tranny wear. So the 97 through 01 have a lot of similar exhaust valve parts, except for the exhaust valves themselves. If I knew what the differences was, I would know what year cylinder it is? The 97 should have a washer behind the exhaust bushing, newer models have an integrated set up. Casting marks, there are a few sets? American Honda does know all? Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
2 brake calipers away from my now designated franken bike. I crossed the line a little and landed a sweet set of 04 forks. Differant lugs on the bottom. Maybe an 04 axle will do the job, and brake caliper? If need be the hub I suppose? BUT, if the triple clamps have the forks spread to a differant dimension? Anyone know the width of the 04 to 08 crfs, center to center of fork leg at the clamps?????? 12" ruler and a trip to Service, its hard to get out of there! The motor is the sleever, I have to see what the thing runs like. If I like the way the bike feels, I will get a newer rear shock and have Wilkey put the voodoo to them, and I have a decent plated cylinder to go to Eric. So far not too bad on the pocket, except ALL the frame and suspension bearings getting replaced. A little grease now and then, what on Earth is that? Do bikes from Florida corrode away quicker than elsewhere? Vintage Bob

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I had a '97 CR250 (bought new Dec. '96). It was a bit rigid and a few people called it the Red Devil for it's unique handling traits :p . But there were others that thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

There weren't any mechanical problems that I can remember and it was fast with very good top end power (holeshot machine). Some lamented that the earlier years had more low end.

When I asked a suspension shop, they said it was the suspension that caused the stiff feel, not the frame. But then again, they were in the suspension biz, not the frame biz.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Franken bike is alive! The women need not hide yet though. Got to check the plug for some serious detonation, or the piston is hitting the head! It starts knocking under load off 1/4 throttle, then stops knocking. This is a supposed rebuilt bottom end, with a sleeved fresh top end. I dropped the ball on checking the squish clearance. I do not think plumbers putty will do? The kick starter is tough, some big compression compared to my 480. I really did not want to split the cases, as long as the crank speced out, and the top end. I do not want to race this motor, I have another waiting to get to Wisconsin. I really wanted to get a feel for the bike first. It is outstanding so far. I have not thrashed it on an mx track yet, but I can tell you this bike fits me already. I kind of liked the pr that it got in the first place, my riding style fits a rigid set up! Corners good, and with the updated suspension that fit like a glove, MXTech can do the rest, I will corner under 125's. Yet this motor is more a curiosity, and with the PJ carb. This is going to be fun! Something I noticed while scouting for high octane crap fuel, the local gas stations that sold race gas out of the ground dropped dramatically. 4 years ago they were every where, a dozen with in 15 minutes, turned into 1, 30 minutes away? Driving an hour or so for Firepower is getting better. Them old Suzuki's are going to get a lot of dust on them in the garage. Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I do not recall seeing any posts before about an issue with the swingarms I am having. Probably never happened to anyone before, unless they received another swingarm from the deadbeat mail system, and have had half arsed packaging, BUT! I have 3 swingarms with the very edge of the collar, by the seal, collapsed/crushed in. From being dropped in transit. Slackers! I tried it room temperature on 1 bad 1 already, it cracks. Its not a real crucial area, it carries the washers and needle thrust washer bearing. I landed a brand new swingarm for 150 dollars. I do not want this one welded also. So if I get the metal, hot enough to dance water drops, and press the bearing out, whats the chances of it not needing to be welded? I do have another to practice first. BUT, any other options? Vintage Bob

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Good luck with that one bro! Sounds like you need to use an expander in the bore to bring it back out and a little heat is probably going to be needed. Could you grind it off and fit a new stronger collar on? My CR swingarm never had that problem but it's a 01 125 - still aluminum. Pics?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I believe they are the same swingarm, or close enough. Not a manufacture issue, fumbled while in transit issues! I have to try the heat and expander on the old one. Then the new swingarm, will go to Service and get welded. That blows. I really doubt the seller would sell me another new 700 dollar swingarm for 150 dollars, or that the mail could get it here with out dropping it, again! Or drive to Idaho, fat chance! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I am in love with the ugliest MX bike that has ever been in my garage. With the exhaust valve properly installed it rips! Rummaging through my non-power jet carbs, I have an air striker carb? These came stock on some type of farm equipment? Unbelievable to say the least! And I have no idea where or how I even acquired this carb! So far, the carb is way friendlier jetting wise! Now to land some fresh rubber, and a matching set of plastic. Any gripes with poli sport plastics? Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Any gripes with poli sport plastics? Vintage Bob
Vbob, polisport plastics are portuguese. they are the very best you could buy.
KTM knows that and they are stock on newer bikes.
the only thing i don´t really like on the brand is the fact that they are more expensive to us, portuguese, than for most americans. even if i had the manufacturer some 250 Km from my city.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Thanks Helio! Can I get a deal? I hate paying retail price. Actually, a guy I know brought up a price of about 100 U.S. dollars, what ever that's worth? And available in white, very good. AND, I do have another camera finally, now for the really small jumper cable. Pics soon! The porting differences between the sleeved jug, and a ported jug is staggering. Now to see if the ported jug is salvageable, Forward Motion will know. There are more ruined cylinders from porting or damaged otherwise? How do you determine if too much material has been removed from the ports? Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
pics, pics... :yeehaw:
the only way i know to determine if the cylinder is ported is to clean the ports with oven cleaner and see if they have the cast finishing. to know how much you must measure the ports and ducts and compare it with stock configuration.

maybe the sleeved one is stock and you can compare. the most important measures are the height of the ports and distance from TDC.

bob, the cylinder may not be ruined if the bore is ok. if too much material is taken from the top of the ports it may be possible to machine the base of cylinder and head to bring it down. may not be the best setup but it works.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The bike runs pretty good, we shall see how it wears? The swingarm issue, PFFFFFT! AJ from Service Honda, had it fixed quicker than I can type this! Too bad he does not carry camera to computer cords? Heat and an expertly guided piece of brass, good as new! Thanks again AJ! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
FINALLY! Made it out to a track Sunday for practice, FMX Paradise. I have been there about 6 times before, there was more people there Sunday than all the other times combined! Great to see. After going over the suspension at the track, the bike just keeps getting better. I did not do any of the big jumps, yet was doubling them by mid practice. And had their SX track wired, well they changed that to the beginner track, DOH! Other than being sore from the end of my hair to my toe nails, I can not wait till mid week. The head leak is solved, and the new float valve did wonders. 36 bucks for a half gallon of 927, and how fast it disappears at 20:1 really hurts the wallet. I need some sponsors! Or see how much cheaper it is in the 35 gallon drums? I can see my mail lady now. If she quits dropping my stuff, I may get her an X-mas card this year. I way over did the laps, again. I do like the more solid feel, as compared to my 83-480, it carves as well as a 125. Now if I could get the 480 to go like that? But the reputation of this frame, I still have not found it too rigid. Flat landing on some big table tops felt normal to me! My triceps quit flapping! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I landed another 97, in A LOT better shape. Sent the 04 forks to MX Tech. The rear shock is unique, it is shorter than 98~01. I believe its the same as the 95 shock. A '00 frame showed up, wow is it different! Now that I have a complete 97 makes my frankenstein 250 easier to switch over to a 00~01, and melt the rest. THEN, I can have a bike made in this century, and more readily available parts. The 97 is a real pain, as far as aftermarket parts choice, almost nothing. And as far as the inter change from 97~01, past the engine, and maybe swingarm is about it. A ton of parts will bolt up, to some extent. After racing the 97 a few times, I honestly felt there may be some credence to this rigid frame story. I would have sworn the valving and springs was set for a much heavier/faster rider. It was all stock, and I need a little stiffer springs by the book! An odd test for Jeremy's Huck valve? But, the newer frame set will be up for spring also.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
BIG PROBLEM! It seems if you put the front disc guard screws into the lower fork protectors mounts, they are a little longer and pinch the tube. I think I can figure out if I acquired them like that or I did it, but. The spring hangs up down there, and that is where the Huck valve will go! So, another pair are on the way. Thank you bike thieves selling parts on fleabay! Jeremy also told me that the inner piston rods was scratched bad. I have to talk to him in person and see how that happened? But those are only 50 dollars a piece. I would hate to see what those tubes are new, and getting them unscathed? The rest of the 00~01 parts are showing up.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Sounds like someone monkey'd with those screws! You are really pulling out the stops on that franken-bike. I think I see you have two bikes now, and you are changing frames to a 00? I remember when the 97 was new in the shops. The salesman was blown away when I poo-pooed the new aluminum frame. He thought I was nuts for not drooling all over it- I told him the welds looked like crap - like a monkey did them, ha ha. At the time I had a 96 CR250 and, secretly, wanted the new bike! So you think those huck valves will keep you safe? Bottoming problems? Man this bike will be more tech than the space shuttle when you hit the dirt next spring.

Top Bottom