The future of dirt bikes in Riverside County

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Tomorrow, Dec. 1st. @ 1:00 PM. There will be a meeting at the Riverside County main offices with the Planning Commission in regard to outlawing off road vehicle use on private property.

This is the second in a series of meetings regarding ohv use in Riverside County. If you can make it, please do. Our future is at stake..... by: Ol'89r

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thank you for bringing this to the front Okie.

We are losing riding areas at a rapid pace right now. If the So Cal riders had not shown up for the first meeting, there would now be regulations in place that would make riding your dirt bike on your own private property illegal.

You say it doesn't matter because I only ride tracks. Well, these regulations would have also put most of our tracks out of business or at least severely hampered their operations.

You say it doesn't matter because I don't live in Riverside County or even in Kalifornia. Well, other Counties and States are looking to see what happens here and when these regulations finally go into effect, they will become a model for other Counties and States to follow.

Even if you don't own a dirtbike and never plan to own one, these regulations, as they were originally written would have outlawed the use of a quad a tractor and even your lawn mower on your own private property. It's not just about dirtbikes, it's an infringment on private property rights.

If you can't attend these meetings, please write a letter, make a phone call or at least send an e-mail.

By attending these meetings you will not only help the off road community, but you will get a chance to meet and work side by side with some of your heros of the sport. Many of the top riders and Industry people are there.

Thanks again Okie. :cool:

Ol'89r

"The worlds a dangerous place to live. Not because of the people that are evil, but because of the people that don't do anything about it." Albert Einstein

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Lazarus said:
What was the outcome of the meeting?

It's today at 1:00 PM Lazarus. The first meeting was about a month ago. We dodged a bullet big time on that one.

I will post a report after the meeting.

Ol'89r

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Where can I write a letter to? What they are trying to do is about as wrong as it gets.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The meeting went very, very well.

We had many very good speakers on our side and it appears that we have opened the eyes of the Planning Commissioners as to just how big dirtbiking is in the County. :cool:

They have scrapped the original amendment and now, they want to work with us to come up with a better plan for everyone involved. They now see the need for more cycle parks in the area and made several comments in regard to opening up more areas to ride.

Can you believe that? They want to work with us. :yeehaw:

We turned in 2,333 petition signatures and impressed upon them how many aftermarket businesses have moved to Riverside County.

The main problem is NOISE. We really need to quiet our bikes down. If they couldn't hear us, they wouldn't even know we were there. The next issue is dust. Number three is tresspassing on private property, although we pointed out the fact that the horse riders are also tresspassing on private property.

Rudeness was a big issue. We need to police our younger riders and convince them that being rude to people only hurts our cause. They received many letters and e-mails. Mostly good ones with some very good input. Unfortunatly, they also received some from the metal mulishia that hurt us. :|

The subject has been continued until January 24th.

If you want to write a letter, send it to, Riverside County Planning Commission.4080 Lemon St. 9th Floor. Riverside, Ca. 92502 Att; Mark Balys. PLEASE, be polite and positive in your response.

Thank you.

Ol'89r

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Another letter is on its way from me. thanks terry

FastFwd

Dec 29, 2004
jarcher said:
What's wrong with this part of the country when the government decides what happens on private property?
You could set up a track on your suburban neighborhood lot and annoy many folks. Not good. The thing is WHERE is your private property...

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
FastFwd said:
You could set up a track on your suburban neighborhood lot and annoy many folks. Not good. The thing is WHERE is your private property...

Yes, you would annot your neighbors with the noise, but there are laws to deal with that. If I ride an electric bike, no one would care.

In most cases, it is not the riding that bothers people, it is the noise. THere are some nature fanatics that would be bothered by the disturbed earth (including Al Gore), but for most folks, it is just the noise.

I ride my trials bike in my backyard. I only ride it in the afternoons, and only for an hour or so once or twice a week. I have the right to ride it all I want as long as I don't make noise after 10pm and before 6am, but the point is even though the bike is no loader than a lawn mower, I don't want to annoy my neighbors. It's a consideration thing.

We need to identify what it is about bike riding that bothers people and dela with those aspects of our sport. We need to do so in a responsible way so that non-riders respect that we are trying to work things out and will give us a chance.

If we are seen as rude and non-caring, we won't get any support from the non-riding public, and we need their support. There are more of them than us, and most of them aren't environmental wackos. We need to go for the swing votes.

mag.

motoxpress

~SPONSOR~
Oct 22, 2001
So, any update from the 24th meeting? We all have our eyes on this.

Currently, I live in ?UTah which is a very friendly state to "our kind" but that may not always be the case. I am also thinking about heading to So. Cal. for school/work (art/effects biz) so, I would like a place to ride if I do.

mx

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
motoxpress said:
So, any update from the 24th meeting? We all have our eyes on this.
mx

motoxpress.

It looks as though the tide is turning. A group did an independent DB test on all of the current bikes and presented it to the Supervisors. Showed the Supervisors that some of the information they were getting from the other side was false.

They also received a huge stack of letters from the riding public and now realize how much income the County will lose if they chase us away. And after all, it all boils down to income.

Through these meetings we have shown them the numbers. Just how many aftermarket mfg's and dealers have moved to Riverside County. How many registered OHV's in Riv. Co. How many OEM factorys maintain practise tracks in Riv. Co. (All of them.). And just how many of us will move to another County or State if they are not willing to work with us. Most of us moved here from LA County or Orange County when those Countys became motorcycle unfriendly and we can just as easily move on and take our money with us. It's all about the numbers.$$$$$

They are now in the process of opening a OHV park in the Beaumont area.

It's amazing what we can do when we all stick together and are willing to devote a little of our time to attend a meeting or write a letter.

Keep up the good work everyone. We're winning this one. :cool:

Ol'89r

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I have made my best friend mad at me because of this issue. I have some land to ride on, but there are houses close by. I only ride my daughters XR70 and my wifes TTR125 on it because you cant hear them out there. My friend (who lives in the middle of a city) buys his 2 sons bikes and him one for christmas. ALL 2 stroke MX bikes (very loud) He calls me up to say hes coming out to ride, and I tell him that is not a good idea. I tell him that aint gonna work because I dont want to piss off my neihbors. He says its my land I can do what I want. I told him they where putting a toxic waste storage facility next to his house, and it was THIER land they could do what ever they wanted (RIGHT).

I have 2 buddies that cant ride much better than my 9 year old daughter. Seriously, I am no pro but they have no skills whatsoever. They both have Yamaha 4 strokes with earsplitting DR D pipes. :bang:

Top Bottom