The price gougers have been delt with!

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
This afternoon Illinois attorney general Jim Ryan announced the state of Illinois is sueing Casey's General Stores for violation of the Consumer Protection Act!!!!

I heard fines of $50k per store is possible

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Can I vote for this guy?;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
AWESOME!!! That is some great news which is needed at this point!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The feds are involved now. Fines for gougers nationwide. About time action doesn't need weeks of arguing and rhetoric.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Our Attorny General did say it wasa illeagal and immoral,but didn't say she whatshe would do. What needs happen is,We the consummer remember what establishments attemped this and refuse to patranize them.Now and in the future. I'll give my money to a local guy who held steady, concerned more about the victims and his country than making a buck off of it!!!

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
About half the stations here jumped from $1.70 to $1.95 the Tuesday night. By the time I got off work yesterday, they were ALL back to $1.70. Something obviously scared them. Still too high but at least it's the same as pre-terrorist attack.

P_Taylor

Uhhh...
Jun 17, 2000
remember who they are in your area and buy someplace else from now on , maybe a letter to the editor of your local paper suggesting a boycott of anyone that tried to make a dollar off of what has happened

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
This just reminded me of a gouging incident that occured immediately after Hurricane Andrew wreaked its destruction in Florida. A young man thought he would line his pockets by renting a refrigerated truck, load it with bags of ice and sell it at $5 a bag to people who had just lost their homes. When he stopped his truck in a devastated neighborhood and opened for business, people became so enraged at his greed that they took control of his truck and everyone helped themselves to this cache of ice. No charge! Sometimes justice is swift and decisive.:cool:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
what is the definition of gouging in the respective states? just curious.

Brian

i heard that here (oklahoma) it is $0.30 above the area average. we turned in two stores that went from $1.69 to $1.99 before we heard about the thirty cent rule. the stores must have been aware of it since they capped it at thirty. but they may be out of luck because most of the stores in this area were at about $1.47-1.55. regardless, i will never do business with either of them again. in my mind, they are thieves.

Clutch

Jul 7, 1999
Electric dirt bikes

All of this war talk along with the price gouging makes me wonder if gas is going to be $5 or $10 a gallon after we go after these people. If so, I think one positive thing that you can say will come out of all of this is it will make for a big push for hybrid or electric vehicles. Necessity is the mother of invention, and even though we have the technology available, people still want V8's, including myself. However, when gas becomes super-expensive, as in: "will filling my tank offset my paycheck?", people will be looking for an alternative. That also makes me wonder if everybody's dirt bikes, jet skis, etc, will be sitting stagnant in the garage since gas will be at a premium. Maybe we'll all be riding electric dirt bikes in a few years. I for one would not mind it. You have to think that Honda, with all it's engineering funds, can certainly come up with a dirt bike that can really scoot and have decent battery life. Some of you might scoff, but let's face it, an electric dirt bike is better than the alternative, which is no dirt bikes at all, and it eliminates the main beef that people have with them, which is the awful noise. I love my KDX, but even I get pissed when my neighbor cranks up his CR80 in the carport. One thing that we have to watch out for is the Greens, since if people start to switch over to electric cars, they will push even harder in their off-road prohibition movement.

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
It's very difficult for me to envision electric dirt bikes at any time in the future. For this to happen, many technological hurdles must be overcome. If you concentrate strictly on the off-road dirt bikes, you would need a powerful enough motor/battery combination with enough range to get you out in the boonies, and then get you back. We appear eons away from having a battery system that delivers both. You can't just hike for a mile or two and come back with wattage in a can and fire that baby back up. Maybe I'm short sighted but I don't see dirt bikes and electricity as being compatable. I suppose we would be talking about rheostats instead of jetting?:D

Top Bottom