Things I learned growing up I would never do now

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Thinking about this last night. I grew up with an older father who built homebuilt stunt planes and wrenched on family cars (but would rather pull a lawnmower for two hours than apply a screwdriver or wrench--go figure). I was always around him and his friends and as I grew up I naturally picked up tidbits of information I carried into my own life. As far as engines go, two habits I picked up that come to mind that I would never practice today: 1) use a 50/50 mixture of STP and motor oil to assemble an engine, liberally coating the cylinder before installing the piston and rings (making it slip together real well, but probably insuring it will burn oil forever); 2) run a thin cotton thread between crankcase sides to act as a gasket (probably insuring you never have perfect specs after torquing and definitely insuring you have a least a small oil leak forever).
Anyone else have any mechanical wives tales they grew up with or have heard repeatedly that don't hold up to close inspection??

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I believe some of the wives tales actually worked when materials, technology and tolerances were what they were back in the day. It's not so much things back then were wrong it's that they don't apply today.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
XRpredator said:
we used marvel mystery oil to treat hemorrhoids

Now that Pred is older and wiser :whoa: he slathers it all over himself to matt down his fur before going off to fight bears.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Now that Pred is older and wiser :whoa: he slathers it all over himself to matt down his fur before going off to fight bears.

Careful Pred, I hear they like the taste. :yikes:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
But Gomer sure can.... then again he's not your average bear.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
LOL..you guys are so funny! :rotfl:

P.S my dad uses that Marvel mystery oil, its pretty amazing stuff, my dad uses it all the time (not on himself) :)

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
my dad tells me if your piston siezes pull it out, sand it down real smooth, and your good to go. dont think i'll ever do that to a bike i love ( although i tried that on a weedwacker and its been running fine for a very long time) yep. also although it looks nice i dont think armor all is good on motorcycle seat. he used it generously on his.

sm7482

Jan 29, 2008
MrLuckey said:
I bet you're the youngest of his offspring!

oldest actually, and i take after him alot. thats probely were i get my love for working with my hands. also that the two best tools a mechanic has is wd-40 and duct tape. if it moves and shouldnt, duct tape. if should move but shouldnt, wd40. its pretty helpfull ;)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
When I was young I never knew a lightning bolt rises from the ground and goes up... the bolt is about 6" in diameter... and VERY loud when only about 3 ft away.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
I'm not an old timer, but something I learned: a torque wrench is invaluable and a drill can get out broken bolts :)

Oh, and don't marry young. It always ends in an expensive/bad kinda way.

May 10, 2007
redneckbillybob said:
add getting married to the list

:laugh:

i have a teacher who said the same thing in one of his classes as a kid. the teacher made him write it down on a piece of paper and sign it. 10 years later when he got married the teacher (who became his co-worker) had him read the paperat his wedding.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
sm7482 said:
also that the two best tools a mechanic has is wd-40 and duct tape. if it moves and shouldnt, duct tape. if should move but shouldnt, wd40. its pretty helpfull ;)
I always thought the two things that were indispensable in the toolbox were Duct tape and liquid duct tape (JB Weld). If they couldn't fix something it was beyond repair and should be thrown out

Dec 31, 2008
flyingfuzzball said:
i have a teacher who said the same thing in one of his classes as a kid. the teacher made him write it down on a piece of paper and sign it. 10 years later when he got married the teacher (who became his co-worker) had him read the paperat his wedding.

did he read it again when they got divoreced? :rotfl:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom