Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
We'll go into this with delivery/set-up included. Should be cost effective for them to deliver 10 or so at the same time. It's a 70 mile or so trip each way to CL from the RV place.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Thanks Okie,

You just solved my problem about finding an RV to use for DW.  I don't need a mansion, as long as it has a bed, I will be happy.  Count me in.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Just my $0.02...

I plan I renting here in NJ and pulling a trailer with 7 bikes (2 adults with 5 kids). I was quoted $1,000 (+ $0.25/mile in xs of 1,100) for a 30' with a hitch from a local vendor. Cruise America (a national chain) wanted $1,170 + $0.28/mile in xs of 1,000 for the same size RV. They also surcharge $25 per day for using a trailer hitch.

Since I will have to travel almost 1,500 miles to attend DW03 it wouldn’t be practical to rent from an outfit in OK. I wonder if it makes more sense to negotiate with a national chain, such as Cruise America, so people could actually travel in the RV. Does anyone have experience with a national chain?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I won't use Cruise America. Too expensive, too much fine print, extra charges, etc. Not to mention the fact that they don't rent Class A motorhomes.

This deal is for those who want to at worst, pick-up in OKC or better yet, have it sitting at Cooperland waiting for them. You might want to consider all the costs, gas alone will kill ya.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I did consider using a tow vehicle for the bikes and a minivan for the humans, but when you factor in two vehicles burning gas and the cost of hotel rooms (the kids just will not be able to drive through) its just about even. Besides, traveling in the RV will be fun for the kids and a lot more comfortable for the adults.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Okie I don't want to make any commitments at this time as I'm still exploring all my options ie borrowing a Toy Hauler ( only know 1 person with 1 and we aren't all that close :() but if that doesn't work out I'd be interested in learning the cost of something more on the budget side of things that was big enough for my son, the missus and myself.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Okie- Not sure if this helps with your numbers or not but if some other people are trying to get a group in 1 RV I would like to join.

So consider me in for 1/5 if it works out.  Sorry for not being solid on this but I just cant afford it on my own.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
ANother thing to consider with CruiseAmerica (and others) is the cost per hour for using the generator.

Driving down the road with the TV/VCR going requires the generator, as does any serious current usage (microwave, coffee pot, etc) while parked.

FWIW, our 31 ft class C FunMover (E450) gets right at 6 mpg with a V10.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
RMjeff.......I am not sure how many people will be with me for DW (so far I have 6 "maybes" and 2 "my wife won't let me".  So I may have room for one more.  I will know for sure in a few weeks, and I will let you know :thumb: 

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Okie I am definite! I have been looking around here and was going to pull one, but if I can pick it up closer that would be better. I have 3 with me, and I am not a camper so I am not sure what I would need. If you can keep me in mind and let me know what's available I would appreciate it. Even a web site or contact # and I can do my own research if your too busy.
Keep in mind us Cajuns bring the GOOOOOD food!

;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Philip three of us is what three adults, mix of kids, folks that may or may not wish to sleep together? If it's you, your lady and a kid it could be much more exonomical that 3 guys if ya' get my drift.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Patman its Me, wife and kid. I just thought if I could pick up somthing closer it might be safer than pulling it for 16 hours there and 16 back. I have not really considered $$$, I am willing to pay to be able to stay on the grounds. Driving back & forth and loading and unloading bikes gets old.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
That being the case a smaller unit and thus less $$ could work depending on your wife ;) That's the same thing I'll be doing but since my wife doesn't ride (yet) she'll want a little more elbow room than what we could "get by" with. I'd guess something like a 21' would work for a small family but, I'll venture we'll have about a 32' slider (hey we're from Texas!)

BTW if you end up going the hotel route for some reason don't even consider loading and unloading bikes & gear every day! It's soooo not necessary and I'll venture it would be safer to just leave the stuff laying around DW than to haul it! REALLY!!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Patman
BTW if you end up going the hotel route for some reason don't even consider loading and unloading bikes & gear every day! It's soooo not necessary and I'll venture it would be safer to just leave the stuff laying around DW than to haul it! REALLY!!

Yep, that's what we did.  Heck, I even left my boots outside the ONE night that it rained!  It was fun running the Harescramble with wet feet...really it was. ;)

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
I'll be interested in getting together with some others to split the cost if I can make it out there.

And I don't see why any guys that are normal, having a problem sleeping in the same bed as another guy. I mean, didn't yall play basketball or football? Its no big deal as long as you are both normal is it? Maybe on those smaller beds it would be a problem of having to touch each other the whole night, which would be uncomfortable, but with that queen size bed in the picture, theres plenty of room for 2 guys who are there to have fun and save money.

Would you rather pay $150 and share a bed for a week, no biggy.
or
pay $250 and get your own bed for a week. Yea if your a bigger guy I would want my own bed, but being under 200 pound like myself, theres plenty of room for 2 straight guys in 1 bed.

scab

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 15, 2003
Put my name on the list of willing participants. Count me for one, maybe 2 for 5 days. BTW - jeffd maybe be in for four to six also.

And......i'm not interested in sleeping with another guy..... :think:

LOL,
--Scab

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Okie we have been looking at campers here and I am a little more educated on what we want. Count us in for a 25'-30' for $1000 or less and would like it waiting for us at CL if possible.

Thanks
Philip

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Okie, I'm almost positive we'd like to get in on this. 34' Class A (don't need sliders) would work.

Any idea when you plan to approach them with a group discount deal?

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Okie,

Count me and Dave in for one as well, full week.

Class C would be our minimum, or whatever we can get for around $1000 would be great.

I'd much rather bring the bikes down in our truck, and then rent the RV there.  We rented an RV a couple years ago and drove it to DW.  It was a pig on the road, and sucked gas like there was no end.  We'll make much better time in the truck, especially since we're looking at a solid 2 day drive!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by LoriKTM
We rented an RV a couple years ago and drove it to DW. It was a pig on the road, and sucked gas like there was no end

I bought a newer 32' class A just before DW02 and made the 8 hour trip pulling the 16' trailer at a reasnonably consistant 70 - 80 mph with a few stops on the way, one of which to replace a blow-out. The thing that helped me was that the gas gauge didn't work. I had no idea how good or bad mine was doing. :silly:

Top Bottom