• $7500

Votes: 139 8.4%
  • More than $7500

Votes: 376 22.6%

• Total voters

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i used to keep the receipts, thinking i would add them up, but then i realized that i really didn't want to know--it's not as if knowing would make me spend less! my favorite quote on this topic came from a dirt bike mag several years ago. they had done a survey like this for their advertisers, & were summarizing the results for the readers. in response to the questions, "how much did you spend last year/how much will you spend this year", a guy wrote, "too much/probably more". that's my philosophy--i don't try to add it up to the penny, i don't want to know. whatever it is, it's worth it.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by storytime
Now lets add up what it cost to keep da little woman happy? :worship:

Now that, my friend, is a TOTALLY separate poll. The numbers have to ratchet up a bit. A buddy is building a house I am designing that will likely exceed 350K, just so his wife will leave him alone and let him ride. :|

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by bluerider125
i was toying with the idea of hitting the $1,000 mark but the parts that I baught were about this much. most of my gear came from christmas, and i spent my own money on parts and the bike. :cool:

I think you need to include the value of the stuff you got for xmas, 'cuz that's still money spent (if it was dirt bike stuff).

Now, for you's guys claiming pickup trucks.... unless you're only using the pickup truck for dirtbiking, claim it all. But I suspect most folks use that pickup to also go to work, take the family to the shopping mall, etc. For the purpose of the poll, perhaps only include the percentage of the expense for dirtbiking.

Sure, you need a dirtbike, so that is a cost. I won't bother with depreciating stuff. Then there's the money we MADE on dirtbikes... when we sell 'em. Gotta offset you're expense there.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Dang, I like Tony's way of looking at it. When I buy a Toy Box to use for work and play I will let my company buy it and include a copy of his post as explanation to the IRS. :laugh:

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
im the budget route too although i am in the process of getting a new bike (selling mine) bike around $2300 probably around 400 bucks worth of riding gear and 4 bucks to get into the ohv plus another 15 to go on Hangtown ya the stuff adds up but sheesh whe ni see u guys wit hall your race fees boy all i can say is uhh try to find some sponsors!

AnneBrooks

Jan 17, 2001
well, let's see....new bike $3,000
trip to Oklahoma/Texas $800
gear, etc. $1,000
race fees etc $500
and the biggie---my knee surgery etc $75,000

let's hope this year is cheaper. :)

Misscr80

Jun 27, 2002
We pushed the $12,000 mark!
Husband had bad crash, $3000 damage to bike,
$2500 damage to him (he softened the bikes fall),
$2800 new bike for me
$1800 new bike for oldest boy
$1000 at least in maintenance for 4 bikes
Then the insurance, race fees, trail permits.

But it is worth it, I love this stuff.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
2 bikes every couple of years. 640 dollars for entry fee jsut to the hare scramble series we are chasing plus a dozen other races.... fee for state and national forest riding...fuel for truck, trailer maintenance, yep I officailly can't afford to do this...don't tell my wife!

flattire

Apr 5, 2002
Well this year.
1. Thor 28ft toy box trailer-$28,000
2. Cannondale E440-$7500
3. Suzuki LTZ400
Last year,
1. Suzuki DRZ 400 (oldest son)-$5500
2. Honda ex 300 (wifes)-5000
3. Honda ex 250 (youngest son)-4000
Next year ???????

Mini_Thumper

~SPONSOR~
Dec 17, 2002
We bought three new bikes this year, so I'm way at the top of the list. Hopefully things will slow down and next year will just be regular costs of riding!

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
I got my bike new just over a year ago, so that was $4300, then all the stuff I've put on it, not to mention the wearables like tires and clutches...then there's entry fees. OMG It's gotta be getting in the neighborhood of 7G :eek: This year should be less expensive cause I ain't gettin another bike!

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
Hmm
For me:
New bike $5100
Accesories for new bike
Flywheel weight: $100
Suspension Mods to lower the new bike: $350
Bark Busters: $79
Old Bike:
Re-Jetting M/XC after the weekend from hell $100
Add's to sell M/XC $100

Fees:
Women's Ride School - $100

For the hubby:
Radiator -a tree got in his way :) $358 only a KTM radiator would cost that much!
Trailtech Computer - $80

This last weekend's trip cost us $80 in gas, and $76 for hotel (we need to get a trailer bad).

We are doing our first race at the end of April. I still have to have the $45 a piece entrance fee, and we both have to get AMA cards. Not sure how much the cards are going to cost us.

So yeah, waaaay too much! I would like to say this is an odd year, but in actuallity since '99 we have bought 4 bikes. ouch

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
4 new bikes within the last year....
I think I just barely inched over the top bracket. :scream:

-jeffd

Kxrider03

May 8, 2003
Yeh I am pretty high up there: bike itself-5000 gear(helmet boots ect..) 600, other crap 300 yeh ts arodnd 6000 in a month
mom wasn't to into the cost thing...

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
in 2 years we've bought 6 bikes and sold 2.
more than enough gear for the three of us.
parts & spares to rival any local dealers parts room. :)
nad a new trailer before DW will be here soon.

This is going to be one hard sport to get out of.

Now if i could only sell off all my climbing gear. :|

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
03 KTM 450 but hey one of the most reliable bike made so I want have worry
with moads or repairs for at least a few years. And all the other stuff, man!!
and I get sponsored prices for most all gear and parts, I dont even like to think about it.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Im a budget woods rider and Im on a 99 WR 400 I bought in 01 for 4500 and thats the most I have EVER paid for ANYTING with a motor but well worth it. Ill have it for at least 5 years I figure so that factors to about $750 a year for the bike purchace, not bad and a great and reliable bike. My gear I expect to last at least 5 years if not more, Im done growing unless it out :) ! I paid $700 for my 88 Ford E 150 riding van last year but I also use it for camping/riding/boating/biking so its like a true SUV/RV since I blow up an air mattress and sleep in the back when the bikes are out. I did buy it to haul my dirt bikes but I do alot more with it so its not a dirtbike only purchase. I paid about $250 for my girlfriends 92 RT 100 dirt bike after parts and tires ready to roll. Not bad at all really, on a riding weekend I spend maybe $100 in gas, food, beer, and little extras. Not bad at all @ between 1 and 2 K a year I figure and I have a ball and we both enjoy ridig and camping very much. Its a study of economy and efficency whey we pull in to ride, I ride with a guy who has spent well over 10K this year alone on bikes, quads, trailers, and trucks and he cant belive when I roll in and unload the van, inflate the bed and ready to ride in 40 mins with my bed made :) . He has two kids though but still.
Some people just go nuts on buying the toys, I just go nuts on the toys I buy :).

BadBronco

Jul 26, 2003
First, hello to everyone. I'm a new member as of yesterday. I've been out of bikes for a while, but thats soon to change. I'm pretty set on getting my first big bore. I'm in the desert and I feal the need for speed that a 250 just can't give. Last bike I owned, I only had about $1400 into it. Next bike I buy might be in the $2500-$3500 area. Unless I really get some good money out of a muscle car that I will have ready to sell in several months. I am really, initially impressed with the 04' ATK's, especially the 620/700cc. So, if I decide to go crazy and try to have the fastest/baddest 2 stroke bike in the desert, well then I'll be looking at $8000 MSRP. I don't know off hand what the average dealer mark up is but, I'm sure it would hurt. Hello again, Laurence.

GASGAS18

Apr 25, 2002
bro- brand new 04 450exc with about $1500 in goodies
03 beta 270 rev setup for pro ($$)
99 ktm 250 exc modded
me- new 04 200 exc with $2500 in aftermarket
00 Gasgas ec 200 with the normal goodies
85 honda odyssey fl 350r

im not even going to add it up

ehh just a quick guess

well im not gona include the cost of the gasgas because ive had it over 2 yrs, but this yr i spent about $800 on it and rode it 2x. but everything else has been purchased in the last 12 months

so figure 20-25k
maybe a lil more including gear and everythin else

im 20, he's 21

our gf's understand!

mx416

Nov 2, 2003
I've spent alot in the last year. Last year I got a new bike. Then I blew 4 or 5 top ends, trashed 2 cylinders, heads. Plus tires, sprockets, chain, reeds, bars, oils. I got a drum of race gas for $450 this spring (It was below dealer cost :yeehaw: ) This is a very expensive sport. Plus gas trailering them to the track and track fees.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
HiG4s said:
Both bikes were bought over a year ago, all the gear is more than a year old, except my son's boots and helmet. He grew. And last summer we didn't get out as much as the year before, just got busy with other things. So I checked $500, but it was more like $300. But the year before with his new bike and making it out every weekend, over $4000. And the year before that, I bought my bike and pretty much all new gear for him and me, close to $5000. Doh!

I'm in your catagory for this year.
If the poll was for the last few years (the years we chased the Lorettas and Ponca qualifiers) both for me and my son, then ad in the KTM Supercross challenge and various other regional contests, both indoor and outdoor, we exceeded the 50K mark. I try not to think about it because I get depressed......:)

ironworker

America since 1908
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2004
3 New bikes averaging $6,000 each, = $18,000
Equipment = $ 2,100
Fuel, Campground fees, Food ect. = 5,000
Used motor home (got in Feb.) = 31,000
stuff i just forgot about = 1500.00

Grand Total of about $60,000 this year.

CraZY. %-)

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
Well It started last Last Oct when my Dodge Dakota needed an oil pump. BUT since I was tired of tent camping when I go riding I decided id buy a new Dodge Ram Hemi 4 door. Then I got my new 7X16 enclosed trailer with electric and A/C and lighting. Then came the new Honda CRF250X. Now if I can keep paying the bills ill be happy. All this because I didnt spend a couple hundred bucks to have a oil pump fixed.

J

Top Bottom