Tire too big? 120-100-18 for rear?

Biglmbass

Jul 29, 2002
When I bought my '98 KDX200 a few months ago the seller threw in a slightly used Dunlop Sports 120-100-18 rear tire. Supposedly it was a taken off of a new KTM. Anyway, this tire looks much wider than what's currently on the rear of my KDX (stock size 110-100-18). Can I use this 120 when it comes time to change tires? Will it fit properly and not cause any harmful effects (rubbing, etc.)? Does my KDX have enough juice to spin that tire OK?
While we're on the subject, I'd like to hear recommendations for a good, long wearing rear tire. My first real time on this bike was on Columbus Day last week and it consisted of approximately 40 miles of mixed terrain (sand, mud, some rock) trails. After that ride my rear tire was worn considerably, therefore I'd like to think that the current Dunlop 752 could be improved upon. Thanks in advance.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
The tire should work just fine. You might not be able to run it all the way forward in the adjusters but the 120 is what I ran on all my KDX's. And YES the KDX should sling plenty of roost with this tire. I have have REAL good luck with the Michelin S12 riding in west TN (roots, mud and not many rocks). Of course this tire choice is just my opionion. Your mileage may vary, results not typical, Yadda Yadda Yadda.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
Glen,
If you're ever gonna ride CMRA or NATRA land, or Colonial Hills for that matter, I wouldn't be caught dead without a Michelin S12. If you want better wear quality, you could move to a M12, but traction will suffer. The main thing to remember is DO NOT ride on the street. That kills dirt tires quick.

Top Bottom