Tires - What's everybody using?

Pathfinder4

Sep 4, 2001
I have a 1996 200 and a 2000 220. I have been experimenting with different tires. I wonder what everyone else has found to work best. I live in florida so a Soft terrian tire is a must. I have
been running a Pirelli 120/100 on the rear. I believe this is to much
tire for the bike. Steering seems wrong. My 200 with Dunlop 100/90 handles better.

I would appreciate any comments or experience with tires.:)

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I personally run a 110/100 Michelin S-12 rears and a 100/80 Bridgestone M39 front tire. We ride in dirt/sand/mud conditions normally so soft tires are the best for my area.

You are right on your assumption a 120/100 tire seems a bit much for the rear tire though.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Flathead?
Not familiar with the terminology. Whats a flathead?
We catch "flatties" which are pacific halibut.
Whoops this is off thread, better say somthing about tires!
A lot of guys who ride in gravelly conditions up here run the M-12 rear and S-12 front but I dont like the diagonal blocks on the s-12 front in the mud.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
S12 front dunlop rear 100/100/18

works well
buy the way hows that S12 hold up on the rear, has it been chuncking ?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Fishhead..

RE: Michelin S12s rear

What do you think of the braking capability of the S12?

Or...maybe this comes under the heading of, 'Brakes? I don't need no steenking brakes!'??

There's a good deal of winter riding area here that you just gotta use SOMEthing to try to slow down. Compression on a KDX isn't going to do it.

Anyway, I loved my S12 for traction, but the poor 'slow-down' scairt me.

Whadd'ya think?

Bridgerock's M77 ('firm under, soft on top' they say) works well here. Maybe not quite soft enough for florida??

Dunlop 756 rear still the tire to beat 'roun here (From IRC, Maxxis, Michelin and (ugh) ChengSin choices made).

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I have heard that some don't like the brake performance of the s-12 but I tend to use a lot more front brake than most riders so I didn't find the brake performance of the rear s-12 to be poor. I did feel the brake performance of the front m-12 was very good.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 30, 2000
canyncarvr,

I feel just the opposite with the Michelin up front. With the Dunlop around here I felt way too much wash out and I was scairt to use the front brake as much as I wanted to.

But then again, conditions here seem to get kind of snotty when it's wet. The micky's seem to do better for me in that environment.

I guess that's why we have 82,000 tire choices :) To each his own..

MotoXnut

Sep 27, 2001
I have tried the Dunlop 756-D on the front and rear of my KDX 220 and I really like the grip. I ride both woods and track. I got them because they are are suppose to be the best of both soft and hard terrain and they have sure lived up to what they say.. They really grip great and the mud dosent get stuck in so deep that it won't sling out with ease.... Check em out !!!

kawicrump

Apr 24, 2000
Tires

I run Dunlop 755's both front and rear. Works really good on the loose dirt at our track and for the sand in Central Oregon, where we do desert races.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I'm running the Michelin M-12's front & rear. No complaints yet. Riding mud to hard dirt & some rocks (and a tree root every once in a while).

I never thought about it but my rear wheel does tend to lock up and slide when i brake - just thought it was my riding skeels.:confused:

Top Bottom