rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Okay, I have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy some sort of toy hauler trailer. I have been getting by with my old little camping trailer and then relying on my son/freinds to haul my bikes for me but that system is breaking down now.

What I would like is something in the 21 to 26 foot range but it has to be very light as I pull with my 98' Expedition and I have a 6000 lbs max payload (small engine, 2WD).

I dry camp, mostly in the winter so I don't need air conditioning and therefore don't need a generator.

What does everyone else have, and would you recommend it?

Thanks
Rod

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Somebody on here just got a sweet one. I'll try searching for it!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
We started out with a KZ Coyote 21 footer 5 years ago and loved it. It would comfortably sleep 6 and haul 4 bikes in back plus 2 in the truck bed.
We now have a 30 foot 5th wheel KZ and again are very happy with the quality of the setup but feel we had a bit more room in hte 21 footer without the separate garage

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We have a 26' KZ Sportsman Sportster, which has the separate 10' garage. And our friends have the 24' KZ Sportsman Sportster which is an open floorplan (with a big bathroom). We've both been pretty happy with our haulers. They both sleep 3-4, and both hold 4 bikes. They are a little on the heavy side though, and we both went with the fiberglass wall option which I think adds almost 20%. KZ lists their 24' at 5500 lbs. (hitch weight 740) and our 26'P at 6100 lbs. (hitch weight 1160). And that's before bikes, water, gear, etc.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I need to haul two quads (Honda 400EX) and two bikes. I figure I need 12' of cargo space: load the quads end to end then the bikes along side.

The KZ trailers look nice, unfortunately there are no dealers on the West Coast. It is interesting that the KZ Coyote MXT Sportster is the spittin' image of a Keystone Hobbi. The Hobbi is sold near me and that is one of the models I am considering.

Oldguy: which model of the Coyote did you have?

What I would really like is a 30' 5th wheel but there is just no way I am going to buy a new trailer and a new truck to haul it.

Rod

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
I'm definitely in a different tax bracket from you guys! :-D I have 3 rails on an axle, and I also have a bumper mount for one bike hauling...that's it. I'd LOOOOVE to have a nice enclosed trailer...just a plain one even. I could build it up inside the way I wanted to...be fun to take the family: Me, Ma, and the 6 kids :-D

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
We got a used (actually, very little used) 26' Fleetwood Terry w/ the enclosed garage. It's not top of the line but we love it!!! Best thing about ours is when we arrive at our destination, usually late at night, we don't have to unload the bikes in order to prepare the trailer for sleeping.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I just bought the Keystone "hobbi" 26' a few weeks ago...the thing rules. There are some other really nice rigs out there, the hobbi series seems to be the lightest one from what I have seen so far. I tow mine with a van - V8, 4.6L engine. I added a trans cooler and heavy springs in addition to a sway control system. Tows really nice, though I won't win any drag races with it - nor do I plan to ;)
If I may make a recommendation, stick with a "brand" and if you are buying new, buy from a reputable dealer. I work in this industry and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly and you will need your dealer's support at some point.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Wolf:
The Hobbi is my first choice right now, if I buy new. The 26' has the front bedroom, right? Any problems or concerns with the construction?

I will be towing with an Expedition with a 4.6L engine so I am glad to hear that yours tows well. Any steep grades in your area? There are a few 6% grades and one 8% grade that I need to deal with.

Rod

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Has anybody ever rented a toyhauler or motor home , just to see what they're like and maybe get a feel for what they'd want to buy?

I've considered it for a three day trip during spring break (my daughter would think it was cool), but somehow, all the trouble and expense just didn't seem worth it for such a short duration. So I booked a Motel 6 instead (to my daughter's disappointment).

To rent the toyhauler, I'd need to hook up an electric trailer brake controller and to rent a motorhome, I'd need to take a taxi to the rental and back. Of course, we'd have to load and unload all the stuff we need and we'd need to consider insurance.

Any other reason's we should or shouldn't try renting, at least at first?

Why do I get the feeling that I'm gonna break down and buy one of these things......... :whoa:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I really thought about one but in the end we just wouldn't camp enough to justify the cost and maintenance.

Renting is the way to go in my book. It might seem steep but unless you have a place to store one you'll have that monthly cost as well. A brake controller is pretty cheap and easy to install in most vehicles, same with a trans cooler and it will benifit you all the time.

I've rented both a trailer and a Class C and really think the best solution if you have a tow vehicle is a toybox trailer towed with your own vehicle. That way you know your vehicle and are just dragging the toybox with all of your stuff vs. dragging a cargo trailer with a bumpy, squeaky Class C motorhome. Most Class C's I've rented or taken part in get very poor mileage and once you stop and setup you don't really have a way to get around unless you break camp.

Think about this Holeshot, if you don't want to mess with the rental for a 3 day trip do you really want to mess with the ownership of one? I'd bet the answer is no, in the long run rent one a couple time before plunking down the big dollars.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Rod,
It's pretty flat here, no major grades. I would imagine, as long as I'm not in a hurry I would be fine. It also depends on how much you load into the trailer. Empty (with 2 bikes and gear) I have absolutely no problems, loaded down (water, food, etc....) makes a difference.

re: renting: I would highly recommend it. Rent from a dealer, that way, if you decide to buy, they'll likely apply the rental fee towards the purchse price.
Also, when you buy, consider this: When buying an RV you are buying a life style. We've decided that when we are not chasing motorcycle stuff, we'll use it for vacation. That way I don't have to sweat that this trailer will sit in my driveway and doesn't see enough use.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Holeshot:

The renting vs owning has a lot of variables in it. How often you use it is certainly one, but others are:

Do you have space at home to store it? If not, the cost to store it can easily exceed the cost to rent.

Will a rental fit your needs? A generic motorhome is easy to rent, a toy hauler is not. You could rent a generic motor home and an enclosed trailer for the toys.

The hassel factor: My experience has been that it takes you half a day to pick up a rental and another half day to return. Then you are loading and unloading in a hurry. You never have all the little things that make a difference. When its yours, you leave all the trailer stuff in the trailer. The duct tape is still in the right rear compartment. The salt & pepper are still in the kitchen.

Planning: I can decide today that I want to leave tonight. To rent you need to reserve a fair amount in advance.

Cost: Taxes, insurance, storage, maintenance and depreciation on a $75,000 motorhome can make renting look cheap!

If this is for a once a year vacation, rent the coach for two extra days: one before and one after you really need it. Enjoy it, turn it back in and be done with it.

If you would be likely to use it at least once a month then buy your own.

As for renting a camping trailer: I haven't seen many of those available for rent!

Rod

Top Bottom