fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Not to be confused with the Arbor Day planting, Young Ted and I are working with the DNR to have a smaller tree planting in May. We tried to do this MTR event last year in the Fall, but the DNR did not have any plantings available.
I had a couple of conversations last week with the DNR office in Cadillac and Kalkaska and we are looking at mid to late May. One thought would be the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. The location will be in the Kalkaska area.
YT is planning to design a pin in memory of MWeissen.

This project will provide an opportunity to create some goodwill with the DNR and once the tree planting is complete...we will go for a ride!! :)

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
How many trees the DNR will have for us is not known now. Here is an idea of the time involved. I have found that a crew of three, one makes the hole, another plants the tree and the third carries the stock of trees handing them to number two and then pressing the ground around the tree, works the best. My estimate is that this crew can plant about 200 trees in an hour. Check my math Bill, but this works out to 37.5 bodies planting 5000 trees in two hours, leaving a lot of time to go riding.

We are under way,
Young Ted

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The number of trees will be smaller than 5,000, but we may have to change locations. The plan is to plant trees in the morning and ride in the afternoon.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
As always I'm in. Let me know the details.
Don

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Don - Defeat of deduct went over the defence before details. You'll have to wait.

Rotten Sucker

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
We're there!

:cool:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I am headed to Chi-town this morning and plan to have lunch with YT (and Connie, of course). We will discuss some details of this event and review designs of the MW pin.
More info to follow...

The date of this event can be determined by those who plan to do the work. We will need the assistance of the DNR and I am not sure how they will feel about "working" on the weekend. Is a Friday a bad idea?

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Not for me, it is in my back yard.........if only I could get an excuse to get out of work. Any ideas Freddy............

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Don Marsh said:
Not for me, it is in my back yard.........if only I could get an excuse to get out of work. Any ideas Freddy............

1)Yeah, my dog ate my desk chair seat.

2)I have to weld my Yammie frame.

3.) Brian needs to learn to make decisions with out me all the time.

4) I'm too tired from riding all the time, I need to rest.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
5) I have to go shopping with Debbie.

6) Tom wants to discuss what color to paint the Dunn Wing bathroom.

7) The sun came up orange this morning.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Keep the excuses coming, I have used most of these at one time or another. Maybe I will get some new ones to use.

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
I think an unbelievable excuse would be, "I'm gonna go meet the fellas to plant some trees." Everyone within ear shot will look at you like you're nuts! On that note, count me in. I think planting a few oxygen makers is a heck of a good deal! Enjoy your day.... :cool:

racer493

Mar 30, 2003
Where does this leave me if Don uses the excuse that I will cover for him. Maybe I want to go plant trees or go riding sometime. No wonder I get hurt all the time I never get to go practice because im always working so Don can go play.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
racer493 said:
Where does this leave me if Don uses the excuse that I will cover for him. Maybe I want to go plant trees or go riding sometime. No wonder I get hurt all the time I never get to go practice because im always working so Don can go play.

We know Brian, the old man says ya godda pay yer dues. Should be paid by the time you're 40!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Jeff Hunt and I had some meetings with the DNR on Friday. We discussed the LMC events for 2007 (that meeting went well). We also met with our tree planting contact in K-town.
He is open to having this second tree planting either Memorial Day weekend or the weekend prior (May 18-20). I am not hearing any objections to planting trees on a Friday (better for the DNR). Any preference on the weekends?
The plan will be to meet at the Leetsville ORV lot. We planted trees here two years ago and the mortality rate is very low (20%). He would like us to "fill in the gaps" of the trees that did not survive. We will then move to the location of the planting last year (between K-town and Frederic). Once we are done there, it is time to ride the bikes and I thought we could ride the Frederic loops (something different for me).

Any thoughts, ideas, objections????

P.S. The Arbor Day tree planting (April 29th) will also meet at the Leetsville lot, but the location will be west of Kalkaska off of M 72.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
fatherandson said:
Any thoughts, ideas, objections????

P.S. The Arbor Day tree planting (April 29th) will also meet at the Leetsville lot, but the location will be west of Kalkaska off of M 72.

I know of a place nearby where we can meet afterwards for "refreshments".

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
Fred T said:
1)Yeah, my dog ate my desk chair seat.

2)I have to weld my Yammie frame.

3.) Brian needs to learn to make decisions with out me all the time.

4) I'm too tired from riding all the time, I need to rest.

Congrats fred you came up with the ONLY excuses don hasn't already used to get out of work/ or go riding. Surely this warrants some kind of prize. One problem, I think don quit
making excuses a long time ago and just goes........

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
BadgerMan said:
I know of a place nearby where we can meet afterwards for "refreshments".

Mit cookies?

Either weekend will work for me Mike, and I would think Friday is the better day. As for the pin, it is set to go. The only thing I will need at the last minute is how many "planters" we will have so I don't come up short on pins. This event is as stated before, in memory of Mark Weissenborn. The Judge.

Young Ted

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
INCA said:
As for the pin, it is set to go. The only thing I will need at the last minute is how many "planters" we will have so I don't come up short on pins. This event is as stated before, in memory of Mark Weissenborn. The Judge.

Young Ted

Very cool! :nod:

Either weekend will work for me but we may get more participation on a non-holiday weekend so the earlier option may be better.

A Friday sounds like a good idea but it will be more difficult to get the entire family to participate with the kids still being in school at that time. I will be there regardless.

RedGreen

Jul 20, 2005
BadgerMan said:
A Friday sounds like a good idea but it will be more difficult to get the entire family to participate with the kids still being in school at that time.

Yeah, cause there's no way my sister and I would want to miss any school to go dirt bike riding :think:

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
INCA said:
I thought Tom Dixon was man enough to cover for everyone.

You know it. I'm always picking up Don and Bryan's slack... :laugh:

Oh... tomorrow is going to be a long day!

Top Bottom