jowens66

Feb 18, 2007
Hey folks,

I just got done reading alot of articles on trials tires. Seems like quite a few people are running them on the rear end of their bikes and have been getting outstanding traction. Anyone on this board run a trials tire in the rear? I just ordered a Michelin X-11 and a bridgestone ultra-heavy duty tube. I'll post up the results when i get it in and mounted.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I hear they're great if you like single tracks. They don't perform so great in mud but are still acceptable. I believe the tires are thin so they aren't as well suited for high speeds and are more prone to punctures. The wear might be a little fast.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Everyone I've talked to that runs them loves them. In the rocks they can't be beat, and life is quite long from what I hear, mostly due to the fact that you aren't spinning them and ripping knobs off. At last weekend's rock-infested race I really was wishing for a trials tire (and way softer suspension). I ran a cheapo Kings Tire that was on the 125 when I bought it, almost new looking. I tore 60-70% off the knobs off the thing. The rear had 70 total lugs on the side of the tire, I had 4 left! I looked at 2 bikes with trials tires after the race and both looked great, only minor rounding of the leading edges. And I don't know how those tires started the race, they could have been brand new or a year old.

Higher speed stuff and hardpacked dirt they tend to "squirm" a little more, but most guys say it's a tolerable side effect. One guy I met on the trail a few weeks ago said the best thing he did was get trials tires. A close second was running tire balls in those trials tires, that way he can run 7-8 psi without pinch flats.

I JUST got home from buying new tires. I must have stared at the trials tires there for 20 minutes, but ended up walking out the door with a Maxxis Desert IT rear. Great tire, and I ride way too much variety for a trials tire (I think). I did a rock filled hare scramble last weekend, I'll be on the MX track this weekend, I just really don't feel like swapping tires all the time to get the "perfect" one for that day's conditions.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If you ride anyplace with actual dirt, use real knobs.

b1dude

Jul 5, 2004
For what it's worth. Check out the endurocross footage from the last race in Vegas. Most of the top riders weren't running the traditional dunlop, michelin etc. high quality mx rubber. They were running trials tires. Granted the course didn't lend itself to speed.....but Dowd, Abbott, Davis, Knight ran that course faster than most mortals can cover a similiar length mx track.

Looked like the team green guys were running the trials for sure. Same for the orange dudes. Ryno/Dowd...I'm not real sure. Bottom line was, buddy and I were trying to pay attention...looked like more trials tires on the field than mx tires.

Had a chance to ride an orange 200 w/the trials tire set-up. It was the cat's meow on rocky-loose sand/gravel hills in the Mojave. Didn't have to hit the hills just below the speed of mach-snot to keep the bike straight. It just "tractored" up everything, straight as can be, no wheel spin, no back end kick out, and a perfect vector. Wasn't my bike. The guy who owned it was convinced of using the trials tire on bikes like ours however for everything except MX...to include mud. He's an old school trail rider/racer that's covered terrain between So Cal and western Europe. I think it's worth a try as long as you don't MX a lot w/your bike. Cheers! E

jowens66

Feb 18, 2007
Heres my short review of the trials tire!:

I put it on the bike today, running about 10 pounds of pressure in it. The first thing i noticed when i put it on is how tall this tire is, it is as tall as my front tire and really made the bike taller, which is good for me. It has rained here recently and the field behind my house holds water and is pretty nasty and gooey. I took off and i couldn't keep my front tire on the ground. This thing blows my Dunlop 752 and 756 out of the water and is noticibly better than my Michelin S-12. I also noticed that it absorbed bumps and stuff much better, it was like my suspension was better.

In puddles of water and mud this thing grabbed. With my Dunlop's i could sit in that exact spot and spin and stay sitting still. With the trials tire, i wasn't spinning much, if any, and my front tire was in the air. It was amazing. I didn't think traction like that was obtainable. After fooling around in the muddy field and riding wheelies i decided to go on a couple of trails through the woods that have big logs across them. Most of the time i get stuck on these huge logs when going slow, i usually get the front tire over the log and then the back tire just spins on the log. Not the case with the trials tire. I got my front tire across the logs, rolled up and stopped with the log under my foot pegs, then using the same method that would never work with knobbies, the tire grabbed the log and went right on across. I almost wrecked at that point because i never expected the tire to bite a almost rotten log with green moss on it. The tire exceeded my expectations by far. I am very impressed.

I will give more review on it after friday. I am taking my bike to my usual riding place that has huge steep hills, washouts, loose rocky climbs, slick hills. You name it, its got it. I'm gonna get to test the tire on alot of terrains. Ill let yall know how it does.

GabeM

Apr 17, 2002
great report jowens66. Let us know more after your second run. You didn't mention anything about the wear.
I wonder how it would work on clay. We have a lot of that here in south central TN. Also some wet hills where the sun doesn't usually dry them off that get very slick.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I just talked to a guy that runs them and he says you won't be disappointed. Even when looking worn, they still grip. He runs 4 psi and say he has no more flats than on any other tire. Goopy mud was the worst traction but the thick sticky mud he said you couldn't tell the difference from a regular knobby. They are a radial design as well.
This is from a vet rider and former major cycle dealership owner.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
For years, I have been debating this. If I had an 18 inch rim, I would have already done so. Still considering it, just dont want to spring for a new rim, spokes, etc...

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
Lorin said:
For years, I have been debating this. If I had an 18 inch rim, I would have already done so. Still considering it, just dont want to spring for a new rim, spokes, etc...

Well if you ride off-road the 18in is the choice for most off-road bikes and pros. I would do it if you can afford it.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I know, rode on 18's on the majority of my previous bikes. My yz comes with a 19. Wish I could work a swap with someone. Just looking at the cost: new rim, spokes, truing, and trials tire would run $300. Decent sized chunk for something that isnt broken.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Lorin said:
I'm with you on that!

jowens66

Feb 18, 2007
Took my bike out today, conditions were very nasty, it rained three inches here overnight.

Even though everything was as slick as snot, the trials tire performed flawlessly. I went with 8lb's of pressure as Flying W suggested. Had a load of fun today, mostly road up steep hills with some loose rock and slick mud. I was the first one to try the biggest hill, and made it the first time with ease thanks to the traction the trials tire gave. While at the top i watched my friends get partway up the hill and loose traction, then they would have to turn around and try again. Me and a guy with a Pirelli soft terrain were the only one's who made it, but it took him several rides and i would consider him a better rider than me.

Next we played around in a very small creek that has a bank about three feet high with roots as big as my calf. I took my bike up the bank twice over the roots while the other guys sat on the other bank and watched. No one else even attempted the roots, and i am definately not the best or wittiest rider in the group, but i had alot of faith in the trials tire.

Even in shallow mud, it was impossible to loose traction. The only place where the tire lost traction and spun was in deep mud. The tire cleans out VERY well too, i never looked back to see the tire full of mud, always clean.

Braking with a trials tire is a WHOLE new story. It is something that really takes some getting used to. While coming down one of those gnarly hills i decided to see if the tire grabbed any better braking wise than a knobby. It sure did and i came to a quick stop. I almost fell over because i wasn't expecting to stop like i did. Cornering is fine with a trials tire. Some folks were concerned with it slipping while riding out the side of a steep muddy hill. I can tell them first hand that if the front tire isn't slidding, the back tire is still digging.

Riding at higher speeds wasn't a problem for me at all down a tar and chip road. Maybe some slight side to side movement, but what can be expected from a tire @ 60mph running 8 pounds of pressure.

Conclusion:
I am extremely impressed with the trials tire. It is truly a horse of another color. I am just an average rider, but this tire made me look like a pro today and prevented me from having some wrecks that i probably would have had with a knobbie. It also took me places a knobbie wouldn't have. It got tested on alot of different terrains today, and performed much better than all my friend's knobbies did.

If you are considering a trials tire, get one. You won't regret it. Idaho Charley musta been running too much pressure or just had a dud tire because the Michelin X-11 is so much better than a knobbie ever was for me.

Also, after two rides, there is no sign of the tire wearing. The edges on the knobs aren't rounded, stil sharp. I would have seen wear on a regular knobbie for sure because i have rode this tire on blacktop and on everthing else.

This tire gets a 11 out of 10. . All hail the Michelin X-11

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
I havent tried the michelin but I can say, they are cheating. Ive had 3 mitas trials tires over 3 years. I forgot what a fresh S12 was supposed to feel like. Ive got 2 rearims adn I had a M12 Mich on 4 5 min on my last trip which was in NC. In rocks and roots its insanely cheating. In hardpack, the sidewall feels very wallowy. Its not a problem because its hooked up on a rail. It likes brake sliding,when they loose traction, they are definitely not as good decelerating as they are accelerating. Ive only ran it on my KTM 450exc. The deceleration might just be a bad brembo and not a nissin. They are cheating on the rock and rooots. they also make you a more effective rider, you wont spin near as much. I only know an s12 in the sand. I havent had any amazement out of any sand at any point, much less with my trials tire. It is by far the most durable tire. I got my 450 to run as a dual sport and my first tire wouldnt grip snot after it got worn badly, like 10 mo. of tons of fun ridin. Mud finally made me trash it after what seemed like forever out of a tire. And its cheating.
Lorin, you need a 18 anyway especially if you get flats. They trials tire changes them to bullet proof. Your gonna love the extra suspension all the time and the extra hook up that you cna actually feel everything the tires doing. Your technique just got lazier. when it s fast, they are very predictable sideways. How much more praise do you need.
They are good enough for me to get 2 on order soon. I saw some copy cheap. Im thinking of trying one but I have enjoyed my mitas. I run low pressure, between 6-10 depending on how sharp and solid th e rock faces are as well as how wet.
Lorin you need a trials tire. they are cheating.
cheater.

Top Bottom