TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I took a spill over the weekend on my 03 200 and didn't notice it at the time but I tweaked my handlebars. It seems to be at the mounts though, not the bars themselves. Is this where the dampers that Kaw uses cause problems? Is it just a matter of taking it apart and straightening or does it usually cause some damage requiring new parts? Is there a fix for this while I have it apart? :confused:

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I would just loosen the clamp bolts and clamp stud nuts and try to straighten it. If that doesn't work, get the sledge. Then go ride!!!

Tom L.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Happens often. It is the rubber cushions in the tripple clamp. Loosten and wiggle to correct--you do not have to release or adjust handle bar clamps themselves. Two ways to reduce future problems. One is to buy from Scott harder cushions to replace the rubber ones in the tripple clamp. The second and one that most recommend is to buy a one piece handlebar clamp that mounts on top of the tripple clamp. I understand that this is the preferred change, but vibration may become a problem.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep. Happens all the time.

I have at times had trouble resolving the situation until I actually removed the cones and put them back in. Which is to say loosening/moving/retightening the assembly didn't work. I'd take the bottom cones and swap them with the top cones just for drill.

I have not had a recurrence of the situation after installing a one piece top clamp (used stock bolts, no washers, had a mount for the odo machined into the piece). I noted no additional vibration with the one piece clamp. I can't imagine it wouldn't, but you might ask FRP if their clamp accepts the odo. The picture on their site looks pretty roundy on the RH side.

I just got a set of cones from scotts. My imo is they are no good. The cones are too small. When assembled, the metal top caps seat against the clamp. (yes, I used the 'for kdx' additional spacers) Great for rigidity, of no use for bar isolation (which is the point in the first place).

I put the stock cones back in after one ride. If I want my arms to be numb all the time, I'll buy a pumpkin! ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom