UH OH, Hope I didn't break anything bad

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Well, today I was jumping my bike and I guess I got a little too much air and came down awkwardly way off line. Well there was a tree dead in front of me and I tried to veer to the right. I was successful in getting my front wheel out of the way, but not successful in avoiding it completely. The left side of my bike smashed and knocked me off. But I was fine and got up to see the damage. Ouch, my shifter had been bent underneath my footpeg. Luckily, I was able to get it home. But now the problem is my shifter and spline into the gearbox. The shifter is bent nearly 90 degrees but I might try pounding it back. But the spline was also bent back a little. The shaft protruding from the engine is straight, but it looks as if it got kinked during the impact. I really hope this didn't cause damage to my transmission. I'd like to bend it back with a crowbar. Is this alright to do or would it cause trouble?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Do your best to move the lever before trying to bend it back. If your unable to get to the bolt, bend the shift lever enough to get to the bolt and then remove the lever. If the tranny leaks at the shaft, you will likely have to split the case to replace the seal. If the shaft is bent, you can remove the clutch cover, the clutch basket and remove the shaft. This may sound complicated but is really not that hard. If you do have to replace the shaft, get a shop manual and take your time. I would think you could do this in about an hour.
Good luck.

Top Bottom