un-aggressive drivers anyone?

wr200rider

Jun 21, 2006
Anyone else have this problem? I think Seattle probably holds the record for most un aggressive drivers. It seems like everyone is always driving around so slow in every lane like they are just out for a leisurely Sunday drive and don't really have any destination. It seems like turn signals are sold by the blink and horns come with a fine for each honk. I have about an hour commute to school each day and I feel like I'm running an obstacle course by actually trying to get somewhere in a decent amount of time. If someone wants to change lanes they will almost make a complete stop in the middle of the damn freeway and wait for a football field length gap between two cars in the desired lane. I could also go on forever about all these idiots on their phones non stop paying no attention to where they're going.
In February I went down to my uncle's in Sacramento, ca and it was so much better driving there, pedal to the metal, and absolutely no slowpokes in the left lanes. No one was shy about getting on the horn either.

So anyone else live in areas with incredible slow drivers? I try not to be an ass and honk or use the high beams but sometime these people need to just stop day dreaming and drive!
sorry for the long rant lol.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
haha, winnipeg has crazy drivers too.

some lady honked at us today because we were taking too long to get across the intersection. really, we were just waiting for the guy in front of us to pull into his lane.

get this, my first month living here. i witnessed 3 crashes. before that i never seen a crash in my life.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Are you of the belief that driving faster makes you a better driver? The drivers that move more slowly are likely more aware of their surroundings, while the California drivers just suited your inexperienced style better. When you grow older, and start paying your own insurance, then you will hopefully come to appreciate the number of accidents that you weren't involved in because the drivers in your area displayed more caution. Until then, I am glad that you are on the other side of the country. Speed isn't the problem, overestimation of driving ability is, I would wager that you thinhk that you are a far better driver than you actually are.

The freeway stop while looking for an opening is a bit stupid, but making sure that there is plenty of room to fit in is a very good idea.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
wr200rider said:
So anyone else live in areas with incredible slow drivers? I try not to be an ass and honk or use the high beams but sometime these people need to just stop day dreaming and drive!
sorry for the long rant lol.

Be careful doing that, just cause there is no concealed carry permits in Cali, doesn't mean people don't carry. yes, I am a so called "Un aggressive driver" Once off work, I'm in no rush and enjoy whats goin on :nod:

wr200rider

Jun 21, 2006
in WA they do have CW permits, I don't honk or flash lights at someone unless they are randomly stopped in the middle of the road or something like that, I don't want to piss anyone off. I will admit when I'm in the middle of no where with no passengers and no other cars or people I drive a little faster than I should but when I'm around other people I'm pretty good.

I'm not saying that driving fast makes you a better driver at all it just seems like everyone is always driving like that have absolutely no clue about what they're doing. When I say slow I mean well below the limit. People are always changing lanes/making turns with no signals, they take forever to start going whe nthe light turns green.
It's kinda hard to explain unless you drive here. I know other people who have been driving for a lot longer than me and say the same thing.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
it takes more effort to drive slow and cautious, than it does to drive fast and careless.

i'm currently 4 hours into a 34 hour drivers ed course, and theres A LOT more to do with driving than i originally thought. 4 second rule, stop lines, lane changing. etc. :bang:

wr200rider

Jun 21, 2006
Moose said:
it takes more effort to drive slow and cautious, than it does to drive fast and careless.
The thing is these people aren't cautious they just putt around on their cell phones like they're the only one on the road.

oh well maybe if some of you drive in Seattle you will understand. Doesn't really matter, just needed to vent.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
FruDaddy said:
When you grow older, and start paying your own insurance, then you will hopefully come to appreciate the number of accidents that you weren't involved in because the drivers in your area displayed more caution. Until then, I am glad that you are on the other side of the country. Speed isn't the problem, overestimation of driving ability is, I would wager that you thinhk that you are a far better driver than you actually are.

:cool: Yep, everyone thinks they are an above average driver.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I hope mario andretti out there does not hide inconsiderate driving! Slower traffic to the right and the left lane is for passing and turning left,yeahhhh RIGHT! You can tell a lot about a person by watching them drive and I am waiting for the baha move to be enforced on the dan ryan expressway in chicago!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
BadgerMan said:
:cool: Yep, everyone thinks they are an above average driver.
I've seen people who think they are above average in several areas . . .

and I will concur about the seattle drivers. I don't know if its necessarily "un-agressiveness" so much as "Seattle-ness".

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I thought I was a good driver when I lived in the mid-west. Then I moved to New England. Now I KNOW I'm a good driver. :nener:

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
and I will concur about the seattle drivers. I don't know if its necessarily "un-agressiveness" so much as "Seattle-ness".

Those are the transplanted California hippy types.

Steve

Oct 23, 2005
Im a pretty agressive driver, I have a nascar side of me, but i dont think im a pro driver and i dont do anything really stupid on the road, but I hate people who drive slow and stupid. When I drive standerd I have almost get into 100 accidents going up a hill because people go 5 mph around a blind turn. Old folks need to get their license renweded or taken away. It is my fault too, they have the right tro drive the speed limit, but not under it and stupid lane changes with no signal. People just think its them on the road and are not aware of others. I hate it

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
paintbller8000 said:
Im a pretty agressive driver, I have a nascar side of me, but i dont think im a pro driver and i dont do anything really stupid on the road, but I hate people who drive slow and stupid. When I drive standerd I have almost get into 100 accidents going up a hill because people go 5 mph around a blind turn. Old folks need to get their license renweded or taken away. It is my fault too, they have the right tro drive the speed limit, but not under it and stupid lane changes with no signal. People just think its them on the road and are not aware of others. I hate it

Almost 100 accidents going up a hill? Have you ever thought that just maybe it is you?

Ive been driving for almost 25 years and haven't been in "Almost 100 accidents"

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
rickyd said:
Ive been driving for almost 25 years and haven't been in "Almost 100 accidents"

Yeah, but your IQ is more than 100 so it's not a fair comparison. ;)

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Rich Rohrich said:
Yeah, but your IQ is more than 100 so it's not a fair comparison. ;)

:rotfl:

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
For those that are not aware, the posted Speed limit is a maximum, not a minimum. You don't have to drive that fast, but you are violating the law if you drive faster. It is not a right to drive below the speed limit, it is a requirement.

To the best of my knowledge the only road that require drivers to maintain a minimum speed are Interstate highways and that speed is usually 40.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
For those of you who are not aware, how fast you are going is not the major cause of accidents. Speed differential is. Everyone driving the same speed at the "maximum" is far safer than having a bunch of people driving too slow.

And I learnt this from an actual speed limit course.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Fru,what has been happening? Guess what.wrong!!!! Around these parts you can get a ticket for driving under the posted speed limit on side streets! Isn't America great! Here is to legalizing the baja pass! And the handi cappers in the left lane with the jimmy houston wrap around sun glasses,they see things we do not! I will be there soon,,,,,,.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
We have an abundance of NASCAR wannabies. In their minds, following to closely is drafting. Speed differential is definitely the biggest issue in highway crashes. Add in cell phones, kids in car seats, and make up and you probably are driving the same roads to work that I am.
I prefer to drive the speed limit but if traffic is moving faster or slower I drive with traffic. In Tulsa, we have left hand exits sparaticly placed around town. These exits snarl traffic in rush hour. One particular stretch of freeway is safeist in the left lane. Merging traffic has about 25 yards to gain speed so cars are darting from the right lane to the center lane to avoid the merging traffic. The left lane offers the least resistance. We all experience simular circumstances just different scenery.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Slow drivers only bother me when I'm riding with them. Especially when I have a severe case of ED and the guy I'm riding with is driving 35 in a 40 mph zone, and it's 20 miles to the nearest toilet.

Not that anything like that has ever happened or anything. . .

If you want to learn how to drive, come try out the Alabama autobahn. You better be going 80 when you hit the end of the ramp, or you'll be part of a flaming pileup.

PS: If you're not in a hurry, stay the hell off the freeway. There are alternate routes for you bottom feeders who enjoy the scenery. ;)

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
JuliusPleaser said:
...If you want to learn how to drive, come try out the Alabama autobahn...
That's funny, when I first read this thread, I thought about I65 between Birmingham and Mongomery. I think it's the only decent highway in the state and the drivers seem to think it's Talledaga in a straight line! :nod:

Top Bottom