Drivers that just don't get it

Status
Not open for further replies.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Stupid driver tricks (any of these sound familiar?) :|

1. In heavy traffic on the interstate, slowing down before the ramp...the ramp's purpose is to give you room to slow down!

2. Staying at about 30 mph on the interstate on-ramp, then at the last minute either forcing your way into traffic, or pulling over on the shoulder until no one is coming...duh!

3. People who wedge themselves in front of my car whenever I try to be a nice guy and not tailgate the guy in front of me

4. People who don't go when it there turn at four way stop sign intersections...this isn't courteous, it's confusing! When it is your turn, go! Get the heck out of the way so I can go!

5. At an intersection of a multi-lane divided highway, people who wait until a car on the far side is COMPLETELY PAST before they even think about lifting of the brake and going...

6. People who turn on their left blinker at the last second at the stoplight, after you are already comitted to being stuck behind them. If you knew they were turning left, you would have picked another lane! This usually happens at a stoplight which doesn't have a left turn arrow.

7. On a busy interstate, people who hog the left lane. I'm sure the rationale is something like "but I'm going .001 mph faster than the car in the right lane, I will pass him one of these hours" or "well, that jerk behind me is speeding anyway, he deserves to be stuck back there"

phew, thanks for listening, it just took the drive home to come up with those, I'm sure there are many others...

If I am "outta whack" on this, or if anybody out there can help make me better understand this behavior, feel free to FLAME ME

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Nope. Your whack is right on. I hate other drivers. they're all morons, I'm the only good one. ;)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
7. On a busy interstate, people who hog the left lane. I'm sure the rationale is something like "but I'm going .001 mph faster than the car in the right lane, I will pass him one of these hours" or "well, that jerk behind me is speeding anyway, he deserves to be stuck back there"

When you cross the stateline line going into Idaho the left lane instantly becomes the slow lane :scream: Go Figure :)

8. When your turning left onto a 4 lane freeway from a side road the person in front of you waits not only for the oncoming traffic to be clear, yet until their is an opening in the slow lane on the far side. Just go into the fast lane since it's clear, then get up to speed and then merge over:think:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
People that don't use turn signals, especially when they end up turning onto the street I'm waiting on.

People that decide to speed up AFTER you start to pass them.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I am so fed up with the "speed up after I pass" thing, that I make sure to notice exactly how fast the car is going BEFORE I pass them, then I set the cruise control after I pass. As long as my intended speed is at least a few mph faster than they were going I don't worry about it. In extreme cases, if I happen to be in the truck with the big old nasty ag hitch sticking out of the back bumper, a quick brake check tends to encourage tailgaters to back off.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If I read zio's post right, he made the assumption:
I hate other drivers. they're all morons, I'm the only good one.
I beg to differ! I'm the only good one! There's no way we can possibly both be the only good one! It would cause a disruption in the entire time/space continuum and rip a hole in reality! :eek:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by bsmith

When you cross the stateline line going into Idaho the left lane instantly becomes the slow lane :scream: Go Figure :)

tis true we have some really stupid drivers in Idaho (not me of course :D)

one thing I hate is when people speed up when you try to pass. This happened to me on my way home from riding last sunday. I was going through a 35 zone and an "elderly gentleman" was going 25 in front of me. I get to the 65 zone and hit the gas and try to go around him. Im in my big orange beast, and its no slouch either. I get to about 75 and realize im not budging on this guy, finally i hit 85 and give up. Usually i get crap like this from them damn punks in rice burners, not old dudes in caddies :think:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by motometal
On a busy interstate, people who hog the left lane. I'm sure the rationale is something like "but I'm going .001 mph faster than the car in the right lane, I will pass him one of these hours" or "well, that jerk behind me is speeding anyway, he deserves to be stuck back there"

Hey, next time you see me, honk and wave!! :confused:

I didn't realize I was doing this til I read your post. You described my rationale to a T. I figure its my RIGHT to stay put in the fast lane as long as I'm going faster than the guy in the other lane. After viewing a speed demon coming up on my rear fast, I constantly repeat to myself "Can't move over, buddy, there's a car just to my right and I'm going to be passing him up in a minute or two!!"

Actually, my rationale for speed demons coming up behind me depend upon their facial expression in my rearview. Sometimes the look on their face makes me not feel like moving over. And what's with the flicking of the headlights?? "Go around" is my philosophy. Here's my last philosophy...I'm going 80 in a 65 and you want me to pull over??? I'm doing you a favor by being first in line for the radar.

Well......I'm about to get flamed for being "one of those" drivers, but before you let it fly, just keep in mind that motometal's post has been very enlightening for me. I will keep it in mind next time I am going .001 mph faster than the guy in the right lane and politely speed up and pass him so that the gentleman speed demon coming up behind me with the menacing expression on his face can quickly and efficiently pass by without causing need for him to break is speed control setting.

I promise. :ugg:

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Right on! I could go on for a while about this one. I have 1 hour of commutting in traffic to school every day in both directions! :silly: It is possibly the most torturous thing ever.
Here are my peeves

Trucks in general, especially when in the left lane!

Old people, nuff said, you can spot them from a mile away and I think that explains it all.

Road work in mid-day traffic. Is the DOT STUPID?

Cutting a 4 lane highway to ONE LANE for 10 years to rebuild it. Yes they are doing this near me and yes it really sucks alot.

Ricers, in general, these kids drive like idiots.

People who ignore the little stalk on the left side of the column

People who stare at me for no reason. All I can do is stare back and that just makes them mysteriously angry. :p

People who don't let you on the highway from the ramp. Either change lanes, slow down, speed up. MAKE ROOM!

Drunk drivers

Wow, this is good therapy!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I could b*tch for days about inattentive/crappy/militant drivers, but I'll just agree with evertything that's been posted already.

Natalie, do I have to wave ALL my fingers? :p

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser

Natalie, do I have to wave ALL my fingers? :p

LMAO! No, just the one thumb up will do!! :confused:

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
When you see a sign that your lane will be closed in a mile PUT ON YOUR SIGNAL AND MERGE!!!!!! HUNDREDS OF OTHERS DON'T NEED TO STOP BECAUSE YOU WAITED TILL YOU'RE KNOCKING OVER ORANGE BARRELS BEFORE YOU FELT A NEED TO LEAVE YOUR BELOVED LANE!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHH!! AHHHH!!!!! AAAAAHHHHH!! I WANT THESE PEOPLE TO SUFFER! I WANT TO PULL THEM FROM THE SUV'S AND BEAT THEM WITH THEIR FREAKING FLIP PHONES!!!! I WANT TO RUN THEM OVER WITH THEIR VERY OWN LEASED SUBURBANS!!!!

thanks, I feel much better now. :)

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
:| Morons? You haven't seen morons until you have driven in N. Virginia. Here are a few examples:

-Forgot where you live? Folks in the left lane suddenly realize that they are at their exit and bust over four lanes to make the exit. These jack@$$es sometimes come to a complete stop in the left lane until they can move over all four lanes.
-Rubbernecking... OMG, if you are traveling south on I-95 and a car is pulled over traveling north on I-95 all vehicles traveling south must stop and get a good look to see what is going on.

I had the opportunity to travel w/ a driver who has all of the symptoms listed in this entire post so I know what is going through their heads... My realtor was driving to show me a house and she was traveling in the left lane below the speed limit.. A car comes up behind us and she says, "There are three other lanes to use why do they feel they need to tailgate? This is road rage" I respond by saying, "I'm an active participant in road rage for this very reason, the left lane is the passing lane" She didn't like that very much....

Funniest thing I've seen
-Mexican Tie Downs- A truck carrying a mattress, dresser, table and other various items traveling at 70Mph on the interstate. All items are secured w/ Mexican Tie Downs. MTD= Mexican holding all items down w/ his arms trying to keep the items from flying out. Not too smart.....

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I hate it when you are on some single track and the guy in front of you leaves a stoplight taking 3 blocks to get to 15 mph... then another 2 blocks and he's all of a sudden going 50 just in time to cram the brakes for the next light. Can we try to time the damn lights at a nice pace please? And whats with the guys going 30 mph faster than everyone else in horrendous traffic that zips in front of you (with barely enough room) then has to cram the brakes because ALL THE OTHER DRIVERS ARE STUCK IN SLOW TRAFFIC ALSO! Gee you pulled that move to gain 1 position - smart!

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I have to laugh @ Motometal's number 7 because not only do I get hot when it happens to me, but I occasionally do it to others. In my case it's when I'm doing 75-80mph and some loser flys up on me and hits the brakes just in time to latch on to my tailgate. I take such joy in watching steam blow out of their nose (over losing 5mph?) as they change lanes back and forth thinking they can get around me in a 5 car length gap.

Even though I'm as bad as anyone about needing to be the lead car going down the street, have you ever noticed that all the cars you weaved in and out of for the last five minutes are only ten feet behind you at the next red light? Even worse that guy you passed doing 60 mph in a 70 pulled in to the race not five minutes later than you? You can't get dressed that fast.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I love the guy who thinks he needs to bob and weave through traffic because he's obviously the superior, faster driver.
He travels so fast that he closes the gap between you and him, while you are already 10mph over and making a pass. He can't wait for you to make a clean pass and get back in the slower lane, he has to go around you on the right just as inches are available between you and the car you just passed. He has now almost caused an accident, not to mention poor Mrs. Magilicutty traveling the speed limit on the right lane about has a heart attack. Not to mention that I now have no way to get back to the slow lane now.
The poor putz realises that in his futile attempt to win the race, he has no place to go. So he looks aver at you and flips you off. (obviously my fault)
After you make it around the car that is now in front of speedy, and you finally get a clear shot back to the slower lane, here comes speedy again...but he no longer has a beef with you, but with the line of traffic in front of him. He obviously has no place to go and would be far better off just staying with the flow...but he is an absolute moron and MUST make happy hour before they eat all the wings and drink up all the $1.00 longnecks.

I am a firm believer that a person's driving style (or lack thereof) is a direct reflection of their abilities in life.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
ooohh I know I am going to be loved here ehehe.
I get the best looks from assorted people that are in a rush because they are stuck behind me reading my bumper sticker." I maybe slow but I am ahead of you!" I drive slower than the speed limit in towns or nieghborhoods becasue you never can tell when a kid is chasing a ball or somebody throws open their car door after parking. I firmly believe that the speed limit is the limit on the fastest you should be going not the minimum! I have yet to go to anyplace that got up and left on me if you are in such a rush try leaving earlier! and don't even dare to get mad at me just because you can't manage your time. All you people in such a rush can go to hades your own way me I am takin my time!!!!!!1
do I have to wave ALL my fingers?

Sure treat the family and friends !!!!!!!!!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by jmics19067
and don't even dare to get mad at me just because you can't manage your time. All you people in such a rush can go to hades

Good post

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Hey, I got one--

Tourists-- or people in general who don't know where the heck they're going! Driving along behind someone, and they're going 5-10 mph under the speed limit. Slow down and signal for just about every other street--whoops! Not that one. Must be the next one. Nope! Not that one either. They finally turn, or pull over (never mind that there's someone right behind them) to look at their directions. :|

There's another phenomena that I've noticed here in NY-- people will think you want to pass them, and they will drift far over to the right (but NOT on to the shoulder), and slow down to let you by. Sounds like a nice gesture, huh? It's not. It really is distracting, and you're never really sure what the heck they are doing. Just DRIVE, people! If I need to pass you, I will find my way around at the appropriate time. :silly:

Oh, and jmics, yes, you are correct that a posted speed limit is just that-- a limit. However, if I am on a multi-lane freeway, and the flow of traffic is doing 5-10 mph over the "limit", I'm sure as heck going "with the flow". It can be just as dangerous for one person to drive slow, as it is for one person to go fast. That's also why they have speed minimums on the highways...

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
always like to carry a couple of open bags of sand in the bed or a big bag of woodchips. Even funnier is to drive through a bunch of mud and let it dry then get out on the interstate. It's amazing how people will stay off your bumper when those clods start falling out from under your truck! :p

J/K people - these are some of the things (in addition to all those above) I have to go through everyday. :think: :|

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
around here the problem is people wont go when the light turns green! i dont ever have to worry about someone cutting me off, or buzzing past me because they are all sitting at a green light somewhere! its really annoying to be the fourth or fifth car at a redlight, and not make it thru! its like each car has to wake up, realize the light is green and slowly allow gravity to pull the pedal down.

its not just me either, the DOT had an article in the local paper complaining about how this problem blows away all the work they put into timing the lights...

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
driving on the highway with crap flying out the back is not cool. even if its just dirt, try riding a bike behind a truck losing sand on the highway with a less than air tight helmet! it gets hard to see very quickly.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I hate stinkbugs. Those are the guys/gals that race past you in the next lane just to slam on the breaks due to a slower car ahead, causing the rear of their car to rise, hense the "stinkbug" syndrome.

Little wannabe bangers that drive with their seats so far back you can barely see their grape.

Lifted trucks and SUV's that forget to adjust their headlights after the procedure.

Dirvers that forget they have an ash tray in their car and use the highway as one. We've got enough butts out here, don't need anymore thankyou.

This isn't meant to discriminate but, women who have their seats so far forward that when the airbag goes off, it'll send them into the trunk!

Out of state plates! Welcome to California, now go home, and bring someone with you.:):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom