USD forks on a current KDX?

sputter

Feb 12, 2003
Hi, I'm new to this forum - but have been riding KDX's for over 20 years. I have a 97-220 that I'm seriously considering putting late model yamaha USD forks on... I'm wondering if anyone has done this mod before and what, if any, issues I might have to deal with. I'm familiar with spring rates and valving and can deal with that - I'm mostly wondering about handling and fitment - triple clamp suggestions, etc.
Thanks

Kawadougie

~SPONSOR~
May 7, 2002
If you do a search, you will find a wealth of information. I just did this swap myself. Here's what you have to do. Remove the steel steering stem from the stock lower triple clamp. Have it pressed into the Yamaha triple clamp. I had it done by my local bike shop for $20.00, it takes a hydraulic press. Mine was the same size exactly but others have reported a spacer may be needed. The lower bearing is the same in both but the stock KDX upper bearing is smaller. You will need to either make a small spacer for the top triple clamp where the stem goes through or find a piece of tubing to fit. It is a very small space. You will have to replace the front wheel also. The stock KDX brake caliper should bolt right on if the forks are '98 or newer. Mine was a '97 so I had to get an older caliper. Any more questions I'll be happy to help.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
You don't have to worry about changing the bearings when using your original kdx steering stem. But the nature of some stems and how far they sink into the lower clamp can make issues with having to use spacer washers in order to get the top clamp nut to bite down on the clamp. I put 96kx front end on my kdx. LOVE IT!

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hey tedkxkdx,
I just bought a complete KX125 front end, includes forks, tripleclamps, stem, bearings, axel, hub, wheel, tire, rotor, caliper, brake line, master cylinder in mint condition for $400 even. I'm curious what you paid and if I got a fair deal. What did you do with your old setup? Anybody out there interested in the complete front end of a 1999 KDX220? Less than 400 hrs. use on it.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I paid 200 English pounds, around 300 US dollars, and mine came with the front number plate in addition. 400 bucks imop is not bad especially with the gain you will get without modifiying the fork. I am running my kdx brake unit and put the line clamp onto the fork guard. In doing this I also took off the round guides that the hose goes through.
I took my forks and stuck em on my wife's 92 for a while, but it is for sale right now so the 96's are sitting in the garage. Curious what year kx 125 fork you got.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I got a set of '96 forks. Actually, I only paid $360 with the addition of shipping costs, it was $400. These units are mint, completely flawless other than a small scratch less than an inch on the rim. Even the tire is great. The seller has the rear shock for sale $90. Here's the thing, he is a kid taking a small engine repair course, motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. Took his bike in and someone stole the engine over the weekend so he is parting out the bike. I would have bought the whole thing and done a Fredette KX125 / KDX200 blend, but he is in New Jersey and I am in California. Shipping costs would have been at least $400. Anyway, if someone is looking for KX125 components for their bike, i.e. KX125 frame, let me know and I will provide you with a way to contact him.

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…