varnish deposits in the carb

qdog

Aug 13, 2003
took my bike to the local shop because i have been having "black splooge out the silencer" problem ever since i got the bike. he said the jetting is fine but that he cleaned the carb because of varnish deposits and replaced the reed gasket that was missing. does this sound like the cause of my problem. if so how do the deposits accumulate in the carb. thanks.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Hummmm, if you've still got the stock jetting in the carb your going to continue to have the "black splooge out of the silencer" problem. Looking over your past posts shows that you've asked about changing the jetting. Have you done so? What is the jetting currently in the carb?

-Maurice

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
if the bike has sat for any length of time it is not uncommon to get a gummed up carb. THis happens when the fuel that is in the carb when the bike is shut off evaporates leaving your 2-stroke oil and some components of the fuel that do not evaporate as quickly. Cleaning your carb should be done by YOU not your local dealer/shop. THis is where you will start to learn about how the thing works and to start to obsereve chronic problems so that you will notice when something is not exactly right.

Don't be afraid to get into it.

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
I would think deposits would cause your bike to run lean, not rich. They would constrict the jets if anything, not make them flow better.... unless the deposits were in your air hole for the airscrew (but that would be unlikely), then it may run rich at low speed, but should still be real close to ok at higher speed.

I question the logic behind what your local shop had to say... spooge is the result of too rich... if you get your jetting nose on, and everything else is in good shape you will not make much spooge if any. BUT, even if you jetted right and didn't repack the silencer (if your silencer is repackable) you will still see residual spooge untill it dries up.

Jetting is an easy task, I suggest you tackle it yourself unless you are very unconfident in your work.

I bet it will still spooge until you correct the jetting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Here's a situation for you. Your needle/seat is leaking due to 'varnish' or whatever other junk. A too-full bowl will certainly lead to way too much fuel going where it shouldn't.

I'm a believer in Stabil. If you let gas sit for very long (over a couple of weeks) you should have some Stabil in it.

I've seen some terribly nasty carb internals from bikes that sat for about a year with no care taken toward fuel longevity. What a bunch of goop can be left behind!

BTW...a too lean jetting setup can lead to the dribbles, too! Don't ever 'jet by spooge.' Jet by plug readings for one, by seat-of-the-pants by another..but that only if you have a pretty good idea what you're doing and what you KNOW your bike is doing or can do.

Good luck!

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
I have to agree canyn, I haden't thought about the needle/seat possibility.

Regardless, you can't go wrong by testing and jetting your bike. If it is nose on, all the better, at least you know.

I also agree that you cannot 'jet by spooge'. Which is why I pointed out that you will get residual spooge. Sorry if it came off like I was suggesting that he clean his silencer so that he can 'jet by spooge', that was not my intention.

I'll shut up now and let canyn guide you. lol

Top Bottom