Vermont and under 300cc registration rule.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I was wondering.... what if my 250 was bored out to 300CC? Would this meet the criteria or does the Vin# need to reflect the displacement?

Kevin

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I called them last year and talked to a very nice lady. She said that they use a different form and procedure for plates on under 300cc bikes than for over 300cc, but they do register the smaller bikes as well. I would encourage you to call up there and get more info straight from them.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
Does anyone happen to know the phone number. I have an XR 400 with the Baja Designs street legal kit. I've run into deadends trying to get it legalized in Georgia. Another problem is that all I have is a hand written Bill of Sale, no title.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks I'll give thema call!
Kevin

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Vermont DOT Phone Number

The below is courtesy of the state of Vermont.
Kevin

##############################################
Days & Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. 7:45 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. (except scheduled holidays)

To obtain information, assistance or access to DMV services telephone: 1-802-828-2000

For use only by those with a hearing or speech impairment telephone TTD# 1-800-253-0191

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I emailed the Vermont DOT and got the below reply:

You can register a motorcycle that is under 300cc's for operation on the
highway. You are correct that you do not need and will not receive a title
for the motorcycle. All you will need to register the motorcycle will be a
bill of sale and the registration and the corresponding fees. This
motorcycle will be required to pass the annual safety inspection and will be
required to be insured at all times when operated on the highway. :cool:

I Hope this helps someone besides me... spread the word.

Kevin

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
What are you guys trying to do with the Vt. plate. I have quite a bit of experience with this, I can tell you as far as DOT and your State Police are concerned it isn't legal. If you just want an eye wash for the promoter of an event such as a Enduro and Dual Sport it may work but if a cop stops you look out because you're not legal. What I did was to buy a new bike under 300 cc's and not title it in my home state. Then I registered it in Vt. and waited 6 months to bring it back to my home state. This gave me a clean title and now I have a plate from my home state. Got my KDX inspected and I'm 100% legal. I tried the same thing with my last KDX but it was titled when new and DOT rejected it when they found a title with not for highway use on file. So good luck but do not think you can live in one state and drive a vehicle registered in another because it isn't legal.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
If you get pulled over you will possibly get a ticket for not transferring your registration to your current state, but that's not a big deal really. A vermont plate on my KLX250 was the only way I can ride the bike in the events like dual sports and enduros so why not? There are so many other people at the events that have Vermont plates, and there are a hundred other guys riding around that area on dirt machines during an event that you don't stand out. I definitely won't ride my bike on the street where I live though, I would stick out like a sore thumb and get pulled over in a minute. But for events it works just fine. All I needed was a typed up "bill of sale" from the previous owner, no title, no previous registration. They sent me back a plate in 3 weeks.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
KLX is absolutly correct and all I'm saying is if you want to go to an event with the possibility of not riding then the Vt. plate is an easy way. Just this past Sunday I rode a Dual Sport and every Vt. plate with a Pa. operator was turned away. That's the chance you take no big deal.

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
It was the Michaux Dual Sport and last year at the Michaux Enduro we were forced to turn away people with Vt. plates. That is why we went with a close course event this year. So if you had problems riding our events in the past come worry free on Sept. 9th because South Penn isn't looking for any plates.:D

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Denny,
Why were you forced to turn VT plated bikes away?

As for why I want a plate, it is just to connect trials and may run down the road (county) road to the gas station for milk. Also I detest the current DS bikes, they are poorly suspended heavy pigs with pseudo knobies.

Hope I didn't just call YOUR bike that, but I was grew up on MX bikes and even the current 4 stroke MX bikes feel portly to me.

I had thought of getting it licensed in WI but the Harley state where you can build your own bike will not put a plate on a dirt bike! So if I get a ticket for not transferring my plate I afraid the cops ( and maybe me too) are out of luck!
:D

Thanks for replying

Kevin

DENNY

Nov 24, 1999
Kevin,
It's a long story but the short of it is the DCNR Rangers were given full police power including side arms in Pa. So they went looking for any reason to write a ticket and nullify our contract. They new all about the Vt. plates and our options were no Vt. plates or no Enduro. As KLX4 smoke stated it's just a ticket but the way our contract reads any tickets void our contract. As bad as last years event was, a lot of good came from thiis. So this year license plates are not an issue. This maybe the best Michaux Enduro since the 80's.

Top Bottom